Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand-Painted Crafting Station

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
atomander polycounter lvl 7
EDIT:
I think I'm calling this one mostly done, though I may revisit the pedestal at some point. Thanks everyone who had crits for me on this project, and if you notice anything else that could use work, please let me know! I'll try to add a sketchfab at some point soon as well.

J8S8tSQ.jpg

US2y05x.jpg

hhoAaOg.jpg

a7Xs4yp.jpg

ORIGINAL POST:

Hey folks! I've been working on this stylized crafting station for an MMO, and really focusing on improving my texturing and getting a good silhouette in the model. I would love any crits or comments you may offer!

FZhseEY.jpg

ue28cz8.jpg

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    looks really nice, I like it! Only things I can see that could be Improved are
    - the octagon shaped stone bricks don't look grounded and stand out against the wall they are connected to. they could use a gradient along the side.
    - The dark part of the wood ring stands out and breaks a look a bit imo
    - The top left texture (stone with wood supports) is very dark and broken up which doesn't correspond with all the other parts of the same design
    All these are referring to the 2nd Image
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    This isn't really reading as a crafting station to me. It's a little ambiguous right now. I recommend adding stuff like anvils, forges, enchanting tables, tanning racks, etc. as well as crafting materials for their respective stations under the little tarps. Also, how does one reach the little housing area above the crafting stations?
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Those awnings look awfully uninspired considering that's what the players will be staring at for the most part. Right now it's a really simple square shape held up by two sticks (glued to them perhaps?). I feel like they deserve a little more love/detail. I would probably rethink how they are supported and come up with something more practical... although unless you designed this that's probably the concept artist's job :)

http://treybrown.com/images/uploads/awning_aft.JPG
    http://www.kobblestone.ca/images/catalogue/mideast/ME-door-awning.jpg
    http://www.kobblestone.ca/images/catalogue/mideast/ME-roof-awning-2.jpg
  • themanatee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    themanatee polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work with the textures, they look crisp and polygon distribution is good as well :)
    If you were to improve anything maybe you could bend some of the sticks that hold up the fabric roofs a tiny bit so that they look a bit less uniform. You could also paint in a nail or in some other way show how the fabric sticks to the support. I feel like the stone platforms around the building don't really fit in.. Might be the size of the stones or the perfectly geometrical shape. Also how do you get into the building on top? :)
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

@CarlK3D - Good notes, and I agree. Can you elaborate on your last point? Do you think the plaster/wood texture doesn't mesh well with the rest of the textures?

@Kyle Jensen - Yes! Great thoughts. My plan is to create a mountable crafting station that will get placed on each of the cobblestone platforms.

@Bedrock - Good point, and thanks for the ref pics. I will certainly be revisiting this.

And to all - guess they need stairs or a ladder or something to get up there! Also sounds like the cobblestone platforms aren't working to well, I'll play around with that more.

Thanks again! Very appreciated.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working more on the crafting station. As per some of the suggestions, I've redone the awnings and added a door to reach the top of the building. Also starting in on the crafting table that will be mounted at the pedestals surrounding the tower. Thanks for the feedback!

mnP2F0D.png
    BZ139J1.png
    0WsH8XP.jpg
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice update on the awnings, it fits better in this scene.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick progress shot on the crafting station, beginning the texture work:

tZICj3a.jpg
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    I would reduce the amount of polies on the table props. Most of it should come from the texture.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work on this, one thing that stands out to me is the red flag.
    You have some loops in there that are not really used, you should bend it some, making it look like cloth.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@Dennispls - I was a little worried about all the curved and spherical objects on the table and giving them a nice silhouette, but you are right, it may be excessive. I'll see if I can optimize it better.

@Stromberg90 - Thanks! Yeah, that pennant is looking a little sad. I'll try to give it a bit more of a natural cloth sag, though not sure I love the triangular look right now. Might experiment with other designs.

The crits so far have been amazingly helpful. You the best, polycount.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more work:

- Finished texturing the crafting table (ended up with an alchemy type crafting station)

- Starting to work on a presentation pedestal

cUvPxOa.png

IsG9uhj.jpg
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little further progress on the pedestal. I plan to add some fall trees and plants around the building.

99BCi5k.png
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great! Can't critique much really apart from maybe making the cliff a bit darker. But that's just a personal thing. Would love to see more of the process, but so far looks amazing!
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saving this spot for a sketchfab model.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    This is definitly an improvement over the first version/post.
    I really like it, especially the "tricks" you used with the geometry (flat roof with only some modelled shingles etc.)