Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PBR : AK47 with GP-25 grenade launcher

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone!

I made an AK47 a while ago, and now finally have time to texture it.
I use 4k textures on the AK and 2k for the grenade launcher.
polycount: 15.5k tris ( AK : 10k and GL : 5.5k ) I made this for practice, so there's no limit, I just optimize it till the point I feel reasonable

I'm trying to improve my work, so any critique is more than welcome.

anyway, here it is

WznnSvB.jpg

BBCdCxy.jpg

xsMq0tt.jpg

LP + Normal map

BtlN4n9.jpg

Z9kxE8L.jpg

Wireframe

nRmjhre.jpg

67vla4L.jpg

Textures ( ALbedo/Metalness/Roughness/Normal)

dN4qxPR.jpg

0eJCdar.jpg

Replies

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    15k tris for the combo is absolutely acceptable these days, you could have gotten away with more. I suggest either removing the bands around the stock, or adding geo and working on the texture as it is a huge blemish to the overall piece. You did an awesome job with the style and cohesiveness of the piece, the texturing is nice for a worn AK.

If you were going for 100% realistic with the piece, I would suggest toning down the wear a little bit on the front sight and upper gas tube above barrel, spend some more time texturing the tape, and then revist the grip. Possibly adding more geo or matching the shape of an actual AK grip a little better, right now it feels like either the normals or geo are pinching at the bottom of it.

Other than those critiques, I am a fan of this AK.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks very much for the crits guys, now I see it

btw, the idea behind the "bands around the stock" is the wooden stock has a big crack, so the owner used some rubber bands ( cut out from a bicycle inner tube ) to tie it up. But now when I look back it's kinda weird to me too. LOL

I'm move on to other project, but I definitely redo the texture at some point
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    The pinkish rubberband often seen on russian rifles is a tourniquet..

DSCF6384.jpg

P1300016.jpg

Also, seems you have used an airsoft grenade as reference?