Home General Discussion

Looking for a friend who knows zBrush :)

Sammy101
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
While I do not think this thread belongs here totally in essence, I don't believe it belongs anywhere in the Work Opportunities. Merely because this would only take ten minutes or so, through Skype or some ordeal and is not much of a work opportunity.

This is going to be a very small, little thread, that will hopefully disappear quickly. I am in search of a friendly person, who is quite knowledgeable in areas of Dynamesh and hard surface. I was just wondering if someone could take ten minutes to help me understand the procedure of dynamesh hard surface workflow. I have watched the Red Summit video session, and many Youtube Hard Surface tutorials. As well as some Eat3D, DT, and 3Dmotive. I do not need to know how to dynamesh, I need to know more about resolution, when to remesh, when to duplicate and project to return rigid edges after tons of dynameshing to normal. I need guidance on creating my shapes for the boolean to take place, etc.

Basically what it comes down to is to just get a little help on understanding the workflow for dynameshing hard surface objects. Please post here if you could help me piece together what knowledge I have to get the full picture. If you have a skype or something of that nature that would be amazing.

I will leave my Skype here and thank you for browsing this small thread, have a nice day.

david.sominsomin

edit: I would like to add I am quite good at box modelling, and traditional methods of 3D, so if you have some sort of project, I can work on that with you for free. :)

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Technically, you would want to use Dynamesh when you don't have good basemesh. Like how some ppl like to start almost everything from a sphere, then push and pull and move it around. Dynameshing it often will ensure you have enough poly/geo to work on. Then you can retop or zremesh for cleaner basemesh. Then it's subdiv from there. I just trial and error with dynamesh resolution.
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Technically, you would want to use Dynamesh when you don't have good basemesh. Like how some ppl like to start almost everything from a sphere, then push and pull and move it around. Dynameshing it often will ensure you have enough poly/geo to work on. Then you can retop or zremesh for cleaner basemesh. Then it's subdiv from there. I just trial and error with dynamesh resolution.

Hmm I see. This is why I created this thread, because I understand zBrush to navigate and etc, and I know how to use these tools. However I don't know what order to place them in, and when to use them.
  • low odor
  • Treece
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treece polycounter lvl 3
    Sammy

I think what you are asking is quite a difficult question, cos there isn't a prescriptive workflow.

If it's mainly in the dynamesh/hardsurface area, there are loads of methods on how to tackle this.

low odor is right, need to go over the zbrushclassrooms. I would in particular look at Joseph Drusts military assets creation. Teaching the basics of Boolean.

I would also recommend Tom Paul's video on Zbrushworkshops. He has a great workflow for dynamesh and hardsurfacing and helped me out a great deal.

Don't forget you could also use projection master to create those smaller hard surfaces.

You could use dynamesh and trim dynamic/hpolish

You could use alphas.

You could use zspheres.

You could use Panel Loops

The list is endless mate.

The way I see it is, Pixologic have given you a toolbox full of tools and you can use the tools to achieve the same goal. I've said this before somewhere, but I can always remember my Dad lathing with a screwdriver instead of a chisel. Why? Cos that's what he was comfortable with and it achieved what he was trying to do in the quickest time he knew best. But, he had to try and experiment to find his favoured method.

In regards to resolution, It's as low as you can to keep/get the form you need.

Hope that helps.
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treece, Low Odor; thanks guys, these videos helped a lot. I think I get most of the idea now. :)
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    speaking of Dynamesh, i wonder why they can't adopt the method used by Sculptris in a way that everything goes dynamically since they've owned Sculprtis already for a while, maybe there is a huge performance hit?