Home Technical Talk

Padding Script?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
PeterK greentooth
So, I'm working on a project that requires 12 PX padding around each UV shell, but as you can tell from the detailed UV below, simply auto-packing with 12 PX padding won't due. It needs to be done/checked by hand. Is there any script out there for 3dsmax that allows you to check the distance, in pixels, between two UV shells? and if not, how hard would it be to make such a script?

ideas.jpg

Replies

• kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    Exact 12pixels? What a stupid rule -.-

I use xrayunwrap to pack uvs but it has only a simple packer with standard padding option. I know that Polyunwrapper 4.0 was advertised by feature you are looking for, but it doesn't work in a demo version so I didn't test it.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    That bleeding edge thing is perfect, wish max had it.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    You could assign a texture with a 12pixel grid pattern to help the spacing.

You could render to texture with a 12 padding, apply the result to your model, and display it in the unwrap. Then update the map with new rtt's as you go. It would not be as slick as UVlayout, but still manageable.

I'm affraid a script would not be that easy. If it was distance from shell bounding box, that would be easier (and i think that's what max and polyunwrap packing are doing) but that's not what you're aiming for.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hi Noors, Yea I'd been toying with the constant update RTT's. Seems like the only viable option at the moment. I'm looking into max plugin development, maybe there's a way to improve it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyunwrapper does do a decent job auto-packing with a set # pixels between shells. However it does it on island bounding boxes, which might not solve your problem.

http://www.polytools3d.com/polyunwrapper/help/08_arrange.html

Jorge is pretty good about implementing things people ask for, I'd say it's worth it contacting him and asking. If you were buying a license of this tool I bet he'd be keen to make it happen for you. Besides it's only 35 bucks.