Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Environment Saving Private Ryan - Ramelle (portfolio)

djoexe
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
djoexe polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, for those who haven't seen my other thread on this project, here is the link. It was what I thought 95% done, until critics came into consideration.
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138719

I hope to get into the industry in Montreal, as an environment artist. Quick look to my portfolio.
http://djovallieres.wix.com/portefolio
*** I'll get rid of my school project ASAP ***

But here is my final build, Enjoy the video !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm9UM77FUvo

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gm9UM77FUvo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2g91X5G.png
32ETPyi.png
Bno1F76.png
Y2L3sW2.png
sRoP7x5.png
8aY9sWf.png
n9lyNCz.png
t4nISfW.png
vyOk3rr.png
NYtJ5sj.png
FyC1pv9.png
Xbnwv8E.png
yNzHKMH.png
EiJaMlJ.png
Now it's time for me to switch to UE4 once and for all, so happy :)

Replies

• Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    You have the video set to private.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Small bump, after some complication with youtube and copyright issue, everything should work now. Anybody know how to embed my video instead of a hyperlink ?
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Bump, added picture to show a glimpse of the video.

Critics are more than welcome :)
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    One crit would be your scale. The bricks and cobble are a bit too large for me, Try putting a placeholder for a character and match the scaling of your textures according to that.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The environment is really big, and you are basically trying to make an entire video game level on your own. While your ambition is admirable, I think your art work is suffering greatly because of the scale you chose. All over the scene there is problems with flat lighting, muddy AO, shadow maps, detail scale, rushed looking textures, and other things. Because of the the size of the environment you have spread your time to thin and it is really easy to tell from just looking at the scene.

I would really recommend concentrating on your favorite area from that scene, and get it to level that employers are looking for. You will get much better results and employers will be much more impressed with a higher quality small scene, than a mediocre massive scene. You have a good base to start with, and it wouldn't take to much longer to get a small area to a higher level of quality.

Hope that helps.
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    Cool, Perhaps try colour correction with a desaturated dark blue/green to better match the tone set in the film. If you can add more dust/dirt decals onto the buildings that would be great too, dust and debris gets kicked up everywhere.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with BARDLER, you really can tell you have spread yourself too thinly over a larger environment, rather than a smaller, more managable scene. I think focusing on a nice area with a good compostion will help you pull this from a slightly-dated looking environment, to a current-gen quality one.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Bardler...you're pinpoint on it, because I personally thought the same about going to big with the scale of the level and cutting just about everywhere to get it done.

During the process I was thinking about just making a small portion of this sceene but with tons of details, but I really wanted to make it all.

So i give to myself a 6.5/10 to 7/10 on this project, because I made bad choices over the time considering couple of stuff, didn't pay enough attention to the scale of things, butchy textures and so on. I cannot say that I butched it though.

Don't hesitate on beign harsh guys, thats how I learn.

Thanks for those critics, much appreciated guys :)
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Large scale scenes are a lot of fun to work with because you spend very little time on each individual mesh and you just dish out a lot of stuff... and when you put it all together that's the best!
    However, what Bardler said is true. To put it bluntly, producing large scale environments and getting hired by reputable AAA studios doesn't go hand in hand. The irony of it is that you need few, high quality meshes to compete with fellow 3d artists to get the job, but then you might end up producing large scale stuff exactly like yours :)

If I were you I would probably cut this entire project down to 2-3 buildings, the main street, one interior and one backdrop. I really dig the building with the green interior, the half destroyed white+red building, as well as the two brick buildings to the right. You can still use your existing buildings to populate the background, given that you never show them up close.
    Post references with each mesh and keep us updated so we can point out inconsistencies. To achieve really high quality I would probably consider making most of the textures/assets in zbrush and bake them down, then combine those with photo referenced textures (obviously there's a lot of ways to go about this!). If you want to go all out bonkers you can even try using Unreal 4!
    Now I'm not going to lie, this will quite a bit of work and you might feel like you are back pedalling a bit... but honestly looking at the amount of work you have already put into this project I have no doubt that 'Ramelle 2.0' will look absolutely amazing.
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My honest advice, don't waste your time pursuing a career in the games industry. They are underpaid, over worked and have no unions to protest themselves. There is other industries where 3d artists are better treated.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    I know that I will probably work more than a normal 40h/week and only be paid for those 40h, but if I work in something i love, I will not even consider it as a work.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The scene layout and object placement actually isn't that bad. When you look at the individual assets though it lacks the polish that is needed. As others have said it may be too big of a stretch for a single portfolio piece.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    bump for some critics
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message