Home Technical Talk

Do current gen games still use mirrored texture?

As topic? Checking out some older tutorials (3-4 years old) where the instructor divided a character's armor down the middle. Will that work with current gen games with normal map?

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I don't think it's a good practice to put a seam, even if it's for a mirrored mesh, in a place so visible
  • Adam Chilton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Chilton polycounter lvl 4
    It will work, some engines require you to tick a box to tell it that's what you want the texture to do.

Like SuperFranky said, it's not really good practice to have a seam down the centre of a character, though it's fine if each arm, or leg is mirrored as they won't normally share a seam.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    current gen games do lots of texture space re-use, but people do try to avoid having obvious seams down the middle of things.

Personally if you were talking about character armour i would give the chest plate all its own UVs, than share texture space for the armor on the arms, and other areas where you can re-use with out causing seems
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yep usually you would have a unique centerline and mirror the rest to gain more uv space
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Any technique or process that was useful in the past when it comes to optimizing processing and/or memory usage is still valid today and will still be valid in the future. It really is as simple as that.

A seam down the middle of a model is perfectly fine if the art style allows for it, and if the engine as a proper normalmap implementation.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    ...My answer:
    AC4_Pirate_Cloak_outfit.png
    AC4_Italian_Diplomat_outfit.png

Edward Kenway's outfits are almost entirely mirrored. It is also pretty obvious, but I'd call that a resounding "yes" to your original question. :) If your object is symmetrical, there's really no issue (though personally I'm not so sure about hero character clothing mesh like in this case, lmao).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah it's kinda silly having your main character so obviously mirrored, at least the front is broken but, but you are looking at his back 90% of the time. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag was a last/current gen game so it might of been related to that.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys. Wasn't aware that game engines have settings sepecific for mirrored texture, very interesting. Can anyone post me a little screen grab of UE4 of this settings please?

That assassin creed still looks pretty bad ass. Dynamic poses and some items really help.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    ZacD wrote: »
    Yeah it's kinda silly having your main character so obviously mirrored, at least the front is broken but, but you are looking at his back 90% of the time. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag was a last/current gen game so it might of been related to that.

to be honest it just proves piors point. the design is mirrored, the guys sewing these garments will most likelyhave made sure the patterns align. Unless the stuff gets a lot of dirt added there is nothing wrong with mirroring these
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Kenway's coat is mirrored smartly. There's a visible clothing seam in the middle that helps to hide a uv seam. I personally never noticed anything wrong with it after 60 hours of playing.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Neox wrote: »
    to be honest it just proves piors point. the design is mirrored, the guys sewing these garments will most likelyhave made sure the patterns align. Unless the stuff gets a lot of dirt added there is nothing wrong with mirroring these

It also helps that there's a lot of asymmetrical props and features, and the colors are pretty flat, and the contrast is low. There's not many medium/large details that have contrast, otherwise it would show up more obviously. The folds and skull decals show the mirroring the most.