Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portofolio website feedback please

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
Hello again,

I've just finished setting up my portfolio website for my Environment/Prop work.
I would be ever so grateful if people on this forum could give some advice and/or feedback before I send out applications.

www.pixagen.net

Thank you very much!

Replies

• Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I think your work looks awesome, so great job on that. The only thing I can really see that could be improved is that right now it is very obvious that the witch house (the building) is using tiling textures. So what I would do in this situation would be to add some alpha planes with some vegetation in front of the walls to break them up a bit better and add some more variation. Using some vertex colors to blend in some extra dirt in the crevices could be a good idea as well.

Some quick pointers on the website itself:
    - Use the same (preferably sans-serif) font for the whole website (banner, navigation and for everything else).
    - Get your own domain as it'll look more professional.
    - The background flickers for me while scrolling so I'd change that.
    - Move the e-mail address to the banner as it feels like it's placed kind of awkwardly right now.
    - Maybe you could combine the the pre-rendered and game art pages (as long as you still clearly label everything) as I first got a bit disappointed that there were only 3 pieces before I saw that there were another page. You'd probably have to make the images on the portfolio index a bit smaller for it to work alright but you'd reduce the amount of necessary clicks to get to your work.

So to summarize I really like your work but the webdesign could still be improved a bit.
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Nosslak,

Thanks very much for taking the time to look at my site. I`ll revisit the design and the fonts a bit and make some changes, what you wrote makes sense and helps... I've been looking at it a bit too much the last couple of weeks and the fresh eyes and critiques help very much.

Although I don't know why the background flickers for you, I don't seem to have that issue on my computer or on my friend's PC. I did get my own domain, but I've forwarded it to my blogger because it has very nice website creation tools.

Thanks again!
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    While you've done a good job of matching the concept, I don't know if it's such a good idea to have the two images one after the other. It makes it very easy to flick back and forth and see where the differences are. You should still show the concept but maybe save it for after the 3d views but before the textures... Makes it less easy to play spot the difference :)
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel: yeah I think I could work so much more on it, but there would still be differences. Thanks for the tip!
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
    I think it looks great ^__^
    You Go Get'Em Tiger!!!!!!!!!!
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work and its one of the better organized Blogspot portfolios I've seen. Your game art work is all stylized and the prerendered stuff is a mix of both realistic and stylized. If it interests you and you want to work at a company that does more realistic game art I suggest making some! You've got the skills to do it!
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    i think its a clean and nice portfolio
    and i really like the trees and bushes!
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gail_Blitzy: haha, thanks :)

coots7: thank you, I've tried to keep it simple. Well, I did do realistic pre-rendered stuff quite often in the past, although I did focus on stylized when I switched to game art. I`m pretty sure at some point I`ll do some realistic ones as well.

skodone: thanks, really glad I`m getting some positive feedback. Yeah, I did torture those bushes/trees to get them look all right :).