Home Technical Talk

Best approach for glass on buildings? PBR values?

Mr Whippy
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
I'm currently modelling lots of buildings for the background objects on race tracks for real-time rendering.

But I've been struggling with buildings a little, especially getting nice glass windows.

I'm trying to do the building fronts as just a flat surface with one PBR type shader/texture. So no actual interiors, just faked in interiors beyond the glass in the diffuse texture.

Glass windows would normally be IOR 1.5, but I suppose this is like a multi-layer approach too. Ie, the diffuse of the stuff behind the windows is important to the values the glass would give.

Part of me is thinking that this is more a special case and I need to write a shading a bit more specific to the multi-layer type approach that is actually going on in reality.

Ie, maybe do the buildings without glass, and then add the glass as a second shader with a mask, a monotone IOR and a monotone albedo.

But will this actually give a more realistic looking result or not?

I've had a read around but it seems multi-layer PBR isn't really well documented or discussed quite yet, but I think it's maybe what I need here.

Or if it's not, I'm wondering what kind of approaches people are using to get these types of assets looking really nice and also reacting realistically?

Thanks for any help

Dave

Replies