Home General Discussion

What is the most important skills for a character modeling?

Pain
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pain polycounter lvl 9
Hello guys,
I'm a new modeler, and I want to know exactly what skills set is most important for a character modeler, so I can focus on it first to develop myself better :poly121:. As you may already known, there are a lot of skills that a good modeler needs, and these are a few in my opinion:

Imagination/idea
Anatomy understanding
Tools grasp (photoshop, zbrush, 3dsmax, maya...etc)
Sculpting skills
Texturing skills
Retopology (not sure if this is belong to Tools skills set or not)
Drawing skills

From the top to the bottom is equally to higher priority to low. If there is any skills that I'm missing, please add :).

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Pain wrote: »

Imagination/idea
    Anatomy understanding
    Tools grasp (photoshop, zbrush, 3dsmax, maya...etc)
    Sculpting skills
    Texturing skills
    Retopology (not sure if this is belong to Tools skills set or not)
    Drawing skills

Uh......yeah. You pretty much nailed it....don't really know if I can add anything, maybe color theory? Everything else seems fairly accurate :D
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    At the end of the day, the most important skill will be your ability to accurately re-create the male reproductive system. If you were hiring for a character artist position, would you turn down a portfolio filled with perfect dick anatomy?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    NegevPro wrote: »
    At the end of the day, the most important skill will be your ability to accurately re-create the male reproductive system. If you were hiring for a character artist position, would you turn down a portfolio filled with perfect dick anatomy?

Must be referring to the new '3D Shlong Artist' role at Bungie...
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A trained eyes to read shapes and planes. I'd give this very high priority because you'll need it to learn almost everything related to art.
    A certain characteristic that allows you to play with clays/models for days and days.
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    Torch wrote: »
    Uh......yeah. You pretty much nailed it....don't really know if I can add anything, maybe color theory? Everything else seems fairly accurate :D
    Yeah, you're right but I think it's not much high priority for a 3D artist, it's much important for a 2D artist :poly124:.
    NegevPro wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't really get what you mean :(.
    DireWolf wrote: »
    A trained eyes to read shapes and planes. I'd give this very high priority because you'll need it to learn almost everything related to art.
    A certain characteristic that allows you to play with clays/models for days and days.
    Yah, you mean the way how we translate things to form and shape? Is there any way I can improve/practice this skill?:poly122:
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yeah, you're right but I think it's not much high priority for a 3D artist, it's much important for a 2D artist :poly124:.

The same could be said about rigging - not as important for a Character Artist to know as much as a rigger.

Still helps to have that background knowledge though, e.g. Knowing how to create topology that will deform well, etc. :)
  • inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    Think that academy drawing/sculpting practice would be a great help for every character artist.
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    I would say hands
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    Having a good understanding of proper topology is of course a must.

You could consider reading about how subdiv surfaces work and what they are (Wiki). An understanding of the underlying mechanics might help you when you run into issues.

But yea you really nailed it. As a new modeler, what software are you looking at and why? I'm just curious.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    The one that always bugs me that never seems to get much love is having an understanding of cloth and how it should look in certain circumstances. I see far too may artists practicing their anatomy to death, getting really good at it and then sculpting god awful clothing to go on top of what was a fantastic character.

Throwing weird folds and incorrect tension points all over the place, it annoys me far more than it should, but it does :P

Of course with the advent of marvelous designer that's kind of going away, but I still feel that an understanding of cloth in general is a good one to try and pick up.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    mazz423 wrote: »

Of course with the advent of marvelous designer that's kind of going away, but I still feel that an understanding of cloth in general is a good one to try and pick up.

Completely agree and may I say, your works are sweet :D
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    Yah, you mean the way how we translate things to form and shape? Is there any way I can improve/practice this skill?:poly122:

Get up close with your surfaces - eyeball them as if you were holding the model in your hand and looking down the curves.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Excitement over the self hatred u carry for yer latest( hopefully greatest ) work is king. Without that level of enthusiasm u are not progressing ( or honest ).

You r n artist no matter what ( right? ), in which case talent just equals insane interest/enthusiasm.

90% of art is addition n subtraction the truth/solution... problem solving from an initial blank canvas. A process that would be oppressive suffering for a sane normal person but brings satisfaction to the artist.

Otherwise...
    I started( suffered ) Character Modeling in Power Animator with Nurbs when I switched to Polys in Mirai I felt like I was handed the keys to the kingdom. Anyone who says the tools do not matter can do so because of the luxury of the tools and ease of extensibility that we enjoy today.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    bxnlo.jpg
    before the dark times...before the Autodesk Empire
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    my aging avatar is PoweAnimator blue...
    :)
  • diepnguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imagination for sure :D
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    Torch wrote: »
    The same could be said about rigging - not as important for a Character Artist to know as much as a rigger.

Still helps to have that background knowledge though, e.g. Knowing how to create topology that will deform well, etc. :)
    You have a reasonable example :poly142:.
    battlecow wrote: »
    I would say hands
    Hey man, the forum doesn't cost you anything from typing too much or sth like that, feel free to express anything you wanted :poly127:.
    Having a good understanding of proper topology is of course a must.

You could consider reading about how subdiv surfaces work and what they are (Wiki). An understanding of the underlying mechanics might help you when you run into issues.

But yea you really nailed it. As a new modeler, what software are you looking at and why? I'm just curious.
    Thanks for the advice, about the software I'm now mostly using Zbrush for practicing my sculpting skills, the reason why I chosen it is it's really great software, I see every artists in the big studio using zbursh too. And the most important is I'm feeling comfortable when working with it, it's fast to create your own art without getting too much deep inside the tool, the quick result is something inspires me for carrying on :poly121:.
    mazz423 wrote: »
    The one that always bugs me that never seems to get much love is having an understanding of cloth and how it should look in certain circumstances. I see far too may artists practicing their anatomy to death, getting really good at it and then sculpting god awful clothing to go on top of what was a fantastic character.

Throwing weird folds and incorrect tension points all over the place, it annoys me far more than it should, but it does :P

:poly121:, you're right, could you point out some examples :poly124:.
    claydough wrote: »
    Excitement over the self hatred u carry for yer latest( hopefully greatest ) work is king. Without that level of enthusiasm u are not progressing ( or honest ).

You r n artist no matter what ( right? ), in which case talent just equals insane interest/enthusiasm.

90% of art is addition n subtraction the truth/solution... problem solving from an initial blank canvas. A process that would be oppressive suffering for a sane normal person but brings satisfaction to the artist.

Otherwise...
    I started( suffered ) Character Modeling in Power Animator with Nurbs when I switched to Polys in Mirai I felt like I was handed the keys to the kingdom. Anyone who says the tools do not matter can do so because of the luxury of the tools and ease of extensibility that we enjoy today.
    I have no idea what you're talking about, but..hmm...no comment :poly122:.
  • GreenBeams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreenBeams polycounter lvl 5
    I think that there's a danger from too much structure when you're starting out so i'd advise going easy on trying to list eveyrthing you feel you need to learn. It may just take all the fun and exploration out of your journey. Be like a kid for a while at the start and just study what feels exciting and comfortable as you go. Then, after a while, add structure to your learning in order to prgress in the avenues you want to go down rather than building a course for something you think you want at the beginning. I'd really advise getting in there and having a go at sculpting/modelling a character from your own or someone else's concept. What you can and can't do will become painfully clear as you go on and then learn the lessons that pertain to your project by asking on the forums here.

I know it can be argued that it's better to have a course and structure but, from personal experience, i have found the most was learned not by studying certain avenues or techniques but by forcing myself to try them and think of your own solutions.

This may not hold up if you're completely new as, say, ZBrush isn't the most intuitive of software but the need to add something or change something and then finding a tutorial to fill that need will burn the memory into your head much more than if you just followed a tutorial from start to finish.

Oh, also.. the biggest thing that i have found is patience. The more you rush to be something, the more stress you risk puttting yourself under. Not only that but the whole thing may just become a task that is constantly annoying and hard work other than the fun you want it to be.

Please don't take this for the sermon it sounds like. All of these points can and should be argued but i simply advocate getting in there and having a crack by looking at ohers' stuff, their topolgy, process, techniques as you're working through your own character, naturally asking the question: "Hmmm, what should i do now?"

Oh, and here's one example of workflow

Best of luck and i hope it brings you a load of fun! ^^
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Oh come on surely you can take a little joke.

First of all you should learn 3dsmax, maya or modo before rushing into Zbrush.

You should start small don't go full realistic character if you're not secure about your anatomy and forms.

Find a small simple concept and try to create a production ready character (it's important that the concept be simple and not over ambitious), follow ALL the steps and redo them untill they're perfect (don't be lazy on topology or UV's for example). You can find tons of good tutorials that explain all the steps ( the polycount wiki has great ressources).Finish the project, stay focused, finish it! don't burn steps!.

Don't try to be creative or show your style, it'll drain you and intefere with the learning process, follow the concept period, master the tools and process before you create personnal art.

Forget about zbrush skin pores for now and concentrate on the overall process, you'll notice Zbrush sculting is only a very small part of the full pipeline.

I'm not an expert but since the forum doesn't cost me anything I'll try to be constructive this time :)
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I say you need to know everything and know it well. You gotta be a master of all trades, can't half-ass any part of the production, really. What good is your perfect anatomy if you can't model an asset for a life of you? What good are your professional assets if you can't texture at all?