Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review - Skyline5gtr

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I recently added more stuff and made some changes. Im looking for any feedback on my work / website and so forth. I want to make another run to get a job. Im basically looking for my first big studio job.

1 Major question is im using weebly which i like, but its free version so its a weebly domain and picture size is limited. Do you think its worth it to upgrade for like 5 bucks a month still keeping a weebly domain but having no restrictions on picture size ? Thanks all

www.nickbarone3d.weebly.com

Replies

• SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good update:

1. I am having a hard time focusing on the objects due to the background color. I think the dark grey is hurting the presentation a bit.

2. Some info never hurts even if is just what the project was rendered in or what the name of the item is. Some folks might want to analyze a real life reference and compare it to your model.

3. The textures feel a little lacking to my eyes. My head is processing them as just: find y photo texture for this part and overlay over x base color. Some story to the texturing can really futher push the presentation.

Hope that helps.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SecretPro wrote: »
    Good update:

1. I am having a hard time focusing on the objects due to the background color. I think the dark grey is hurting the presentation a bit.

2. Some info never hurts even if is just what the project was rendered in or what the name of the item is. Some folks might want to analyze a real life reference and compare it to your model.

3. The textures feel a little lacking to my eyes. My head is processing them as just: find y photo texture for this part and overlay over x base color. Some story to the texturing can really futher push the presentation.

Hope that helps.

Any and all feedback helps, thank you

1 - i agree, on my most recent model i made it a bit more blue hue back - is that better or are you talking the site color ?

2- good call

3 - I will have to keep working on it :)
  • SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any and all feedback helps, thank you

1 - i agree, on my most recent model i made it a bit more blue hue back - is that better or are you talking the site color ?

2- good call

3 - I will have to keep working on it :)

Yes was talking about the background for the model presentation, is still fighting with the object. Even more, since the object has a value with a similar tone.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I have 2 years experience in a professional environment as a 3D modeler but 5 years doing freelance and personal projects as well as modding

What you really mean is: You have 5 years of freelance experience and 2 years professional experience. There is no place for a "But"
    "But im good, i promise" No place for promises or hesitation.

For projects, definitely cut the mass effect, the server room and the orange ship.
    Probably cut the MP5. The kitchen has no real value but it looks visually pleasing
    as a image, so its more or less alright id say.

Get rid of the inconsistent weebly picture borders. Flat is best. Try finding a weebly theme that does not have cheesy gradients or diagonal scanlines. Use a light one at best, light is friendly and makes a better experience for the user. Its no program where work in 8 hours a day where you have to care for your eyes.
    This is maybe preference, but lighter is friendlier. You dont have to if you dont like to.

The browning looks kinda messy on your pictures. Whats with the holes ? It looks like
    normals didnt bake too well. Also make sure your subjects are properly filling out the background. Rerender all the things you care about on the same background using the same text. Use a nice sans serif template for all your pictures. Do a nicer logo for your name on your website, preferably in color or half colored. Its all very dull. Make sure your text is as wide as your images. Use more polys for your models in future. Dont hesistate, you need to show off, nobody cares for numbers, just for shinyness. The background of the panzerschreck looked good to me.

Get your own domain, and get a 3$ weebly subscription, its just the professional way.
    Use better spacing and use bold text on your resume page. try making it cleaner. Try using a key color for some details on your page, same color you would use on your name logo. Try getting 1-3 new works out, it looks like youre not far away. Had to make it short, have to goooo

Good luck then!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great info, thanks shrike