Home Technical Talk

3ds max 2015 - scene explorer errors out all hotkeys

Karaoke_Warrior
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
Has anyone experienced this in Max 2015?

You're making a prop, and decide to use scene explorer to make some layers (high poly, low poly, etc) and organize your scene. You have your interface spread between 2 monitors. Main stuff on one, command panel and scene explorer on the other. All of a sudden every button you press gives you that error sound. No windows pop up, just an error sound and none of your hotkeys work. Not even move, rotate or scale. If you click on the toolbar buttons with your mouse, those work. But the keyboard becomes an error drum.

The odd thing is, when I click on the scene explorer window, the first hotkey I press after that works, and then nothing ..it goes back to the error sound. I thought this might have something to do with the focus always going back to scene explorer on another monitor, so I placed everything back to default workspace (squeezed into one monitor) and restarted. Same thing happens. I have 3ds Max 2015 Extension 1 installed.

If I touch Scene Explorer and work on my file long enough it eventually happens. The workaround, if you can even call it that is to save and restart.

Replies

• j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    I've had this issue before, I was able to bypass it by clicking in the explorer search box and then clicking out of it. It's weird, but it worked. I almost think it had something to do with a hotkey accidentally triggering search in explorer.

Since updating to service pack 2, though, it's disappeared.
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks bradford, that worked.

I had to click on the search field and then click on the greyed out "X" button to the right, and then my hotkeys started working again. I recently updated to Extension 1 (which includes SP2), so I find it strange that I'm experiencing this problem and you're in the clear.

I did find out how this error is produced though, if you're interested. The error can be 100% reproduced simply by clicking on any of the text menus on the Scene Explorer window (Select, Display, Edit, Customize). The moment you do that, prepare to get locked out.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Odd, I don't have Extension 1 installed, maybe that has something to do with it? I did do a complete re-install of 2015 when SP2 was released, so you may want to give that shot. I would recommend remove 2015 completely, then install 2015, SP1, SP2 then Extension 1 in that order - all separately. It's worth a shot to fix a rather annoying workflow bug!
  • pointcache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pointcache polycounter lvl 6
    Not to be and ahole but... use outliner. like rly
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    According to the Outliner 2.0/3.0 thread, there is currently no working version for Max 2015.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I'm sad that he stopped Outliner but its understandable, at some point if Autodesk fixes what is wrong with SE it will be just like outliner. But that's a big IF. If they don't I hope he picks it back up and keeps going with it but right now Autodesk seems like they want to break with old traditions, of abandoning something just before it becomes usable, heh.

Actually I wish the would have just bought him out and incorporated the last version he worked on which was a total re-write that was blazing fast. Scene Explore blogs down with a lot of objects in the scene just like the "select by name" menu does...
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Wait, they even failed to create scene explorer properly? /facepalm
  • instg8r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    I've got the Outliner script working fine in 2015. Used the same script as I did in 2014. I couldn't stand the scene explorer, either. At first I was happy, then I saw what it was :(
  • cjwidd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cjwidd polycounter lvl 2
    This is seriously the weirdest fix for a bug I have ever encountered. Thank you so much :)