Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Francois_K interpolator
EDIT:

THIS IS AN OLD POST

Yo.

I've hit a bit of a slump lately not REAAALLY knowing what to do so I've just been applying trying to land an internship somewhere.
I just want to find out what I can improve on and what's bad , what's shit , what's good what I should take out and all that jazz.

Just wanted to post a few images but not spam the page.

4091669_orig.jpg

3326114_orig.jpg

Replies

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Hey man, I think you are focusing a bit too much on details throughout these pieces
    but they lack form and shape, and I mean it geometrically and on the overall coloring you apply.
    I 'd say before going into detail try to apply some large areas of color and contrast and make the silhouette strong to enable the viewer to know what's what.
    That said, it seems like you have a good aesthetic and if you practice it won't be difficult for you to reach a proffesional level.
    Wish you find a place to practice and work in real world projects, take care.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    NEW PORTFOLIO ( Disregard the stuff above )

I've gotten more focused on what I want to do.
    The reason why I'm posting this now ( I should've probably asked in a few months from now) is because I'm starting to have doubts about myself where I'm just saying "Well , I'm not good enough yet...I'll try next month" and that keeps repeating itself.

My current portfolio is here

https://www.artstation.com/artist/franchwua

And the questions I have is , is this GOOD ENOUGH ( I don't think it is ) to apply at a Mobile Company as a 3D Artist with focus on cartoony/handpainted style?

As well as

What should I make more of?
    What should I throw out?
    What should I do less off
    How much should I have in general?

Alot of these questions are probably stupid but I get worried sometimes and not ask about it.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Just remove the Cocoa girl as it's your weakest piece by far and I think it's good enough for what you are aiming for.

Orange beard man and ghost boy are really cool.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I didn't feel very good about it either thanks for pointing it out.
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    When trying to become a character artist, anatomy is king. Everything else is second. You can have the coolest clothing or concept but if someone else has better anatomy skills as a character artist, they will almost always be on top of the list. That's what I have always been told from people in the industry anyway.

showing a focused art style is good also but only having that style will limit you on the types of jobs and will let your employers think that it is all you can do.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    tahakitan wrote: »
    When trying to become a character artist, anatomy is king. Everything else is second. You can have the coolest clothing or concept but if someone else has better anatomy skills as a character artist, they will almost always be on top of the list. That's what I have always been told from people in the industry anyway.

showing a focused art style is good also but only having that style will limit you on the types of jobs and will let your employers think that it is all you can do.

I think you misread it a bit.
    I'm not trying to become a character artist.

And I understand what you mean about the style variation but from the companies I've researched , none of them do BPR or any sort of fancy stuff with normals but stick to simple cartoony styles so that's the ones I'm aiming for. If this wasn't the case , I'd agree with you.