Home Technical Talk

Working with symmetrical meshes and many subtools/tools in Zbrush

Really need your help here, guys.

Basically, I often work on my meshes in symmetry (for example, one zbrush tool consists of ~10 subtools) and I sculpt on it and do all that fun stuff. But, say, this one tool is just a part of a character. A helmet or a holster, whatever. And what I need is to be able to leave these symmetrical meshes alone to be able to quickly change the asset if needed, and yet I also need to position all of them to their appropriate places on a character to preview it or whatever. And since one asset can consist up to a ton of subtools, it's kind of a pain in the arse to manually move them to one place and do that again and again if mesh changes. Or if I want this whole asset to be in place and use symmetrical neutral version to retopo and bake.

Stumbled upon this Siggraph presentation from Epic Games

Qi6qc6f.png

And you see, this one character consists of a multitude of various zbrush tools, each of which have many subtools. And how do I go about working with all this madness myself? How do you work with complex characters like this one? Like this grenade or a canteen in a picture. They look symmetrical and these are tools with many subtools. Yet it needs to be placed among with other assets on a character.
Do I position all my high-poly meshed in the tool after sculpting to a needed place and just forget about it, and after I retopoed and baked my symmetrical stuff do should I position the low-poly meshes where my high-poly "placeholders" are? Or do I commit to my highpoly and just leave it where it supposed to be and change/retopo/etc after that? Or is it better to compose all assets together only after retopo and work in zbrush only on non-positioned stuff?

I just want find a way to work with symmetrical meshes in a more non-destructive way. It's possible to use tpose mesh and stuff like that, but that's an organizational nightmare.I hope I don't sound like a crazy person. Thanks.

Replies

• remcv8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remcv8 polycounter lvl 8
    If you duplicate a high res version of your mesh in the symmetrical workflow position you will always have that version to update in that position. Also, if you t-pose your mesh you can save the t-pose reference mesh while in t-pose master which will allow you to revert back to your original position, make detail changes and then go to t-pose master and call that reference mesh to reposition your mesh. Another thing is to create layers per subtool before you pose your mesh that way you can revert back to the original position with the slider, make changes in solo mode, and with the slider it should fall back into position. Hope that helps...
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remcv8 wrote: »
    If you duplicate a high res version of your mesh in the symmetrical workflow position you will always have that version to update in that position. Also, if you t-pose your mesh you can save the t-pose reference mesh while in t-pose master which will allow you to revert back to your original position, make detail changes and then go to t-pose master and call that reference mesh to reposition your mesh. Another thing is to create layers per subtool before you pose your mesh that way you can revert back to the original position with the slider, make changes in solo mode, and with the slider it should fall back into position. Hope that helps...
    Thanks, man. Didn't know it's possible to do that. Really appreciate it :)