Home General Discussion

Unemployed Experienced Environment Artists

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
Unemployed Experienced Artists

Hey guys, I'm trying something to get a little bit more visibility of unemployed friendly and experienced artists from this forum.

Good idea or no? I'm not sure, but I feel like it could be a good thing

Here is a spreadsheet that is available for edit to everybody who has the link.

Oh and if somebody tried to be destructive to others or the spreadsheet, I'll remove it.

This is to help people in this rough industry, don't be a douche.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EJ4_i7KUz_jy7JQLwdBDniWO68i0fUCvIpWwUymtX8Y/edit#gid=0

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks, I decided to take advantage of your spread sheet!
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Good call Chris. May I suggest a tab to include current country the artist lives in and which countries they can work in ?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea, but I'm not sure specifically how this will help?

We have a whole section reserved for artists seeking work. Artist Looking For Freelance Work

I think it's extremely unusual for employers to trawl that list for candidates. Too much of a time sink.

Maybe you're targeting those seeking fulltime only? Usually employers advertise a position and let people apply, better use of their time. Harsh maybe, but true.

To get those jobs, it's up to each artist to work their contacts, LinkedIn, job sites, etc.

Though a list like this can't hurt I guess.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Nice idea :thumbup: I hope it catches on.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I think this is an awesome idea, when we're all sat around in the morning sync or whatever talking about needing an extra prop artist or two it'd be so nice to go and look at a list as well as send the recruiter out on the hunt.

+1 for countrys too.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I like the idea, but I'm not sure specifically how this will help?

I think it's extremely unusual for employers to trawl that list for candidates. Too much of a time sink.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing at first. But maybe it could work as a sort of network thing. Like one artist is on the list and another artist sees this and is like "hey I work at X company and we a have a cool job opening!" and then maybe they could recommend the other person or something. It could create some Polycount unemployment awareness I guess and people can help out eachother. Much like what happens when threads about big layoffs pop up.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, similar to the layoff job lists. I'm all for improving exposure. Just need to temper that with the cold reality that finding a job is hard work in itself, it very rarely just "happens".

So, I'd like to put my name on that list, but I'm not sure where the cutoff is? I'm freelance right now, but only 2/3 occupied, and kind of in the market for another fulltime studio gig. Does that mean I fit under the unemployed heading?

There's another person on there who's an active freelancer. Not sure that counts, unless freelancing is just to bide one's time until they find a fulltime in-studio gig?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing at first. But maybe it could work as a sort of network thing. Like one artist is on the list and another artist sees this and is like "hey I work at X company and we a have a cool job opening!" and then maybe they could recommend the other person or something. It could create some Polycount unemployment awareness I guess and people can help out eachother. Much like what happens when threads about big layoffs pop up.

Yeah it's not for recruiters persay, it's more for that time when an art-team might be looking for an artist and we don't always know who might be available at the moment. We could easily just check the list and have a look and contact them personally.

It's depending on the studio obviously.

It's also for my own personal use, like if I know our studio might have an opening or future opening and I find a kick-ass artist on the list I could forward his/hers portfolio to my lead directly.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, similar to the layoff job lists. I'm all for improving exposure. Just need to temper that with the cold reality that finding a job is hard work in itself, it very rarely just "happens".

So, I'd like to put my name on that list, but I'm not sure where the cutoff is? I'm freelance right now, but only 2/3 occupied, and kind of in the market for another fulltime studio gig. Does that mean I fit under the unemployed heading?

There's another person on there who's an active freelancer. Not sure that counts, unless freelancing is just to bide one's time until they find a fulltime in-studio gig?

Totally, that's fine :)

I probably wouldn't put myself on the list if I was working in a studio and then wanted another job, it wouldn't be very subtle :P

nathdevlin wrote: »
    Good call Chris. May I suggest a tab to include current country the artist lives in and which countries they can work in ?

Yeah :) Also if you feel like you can improve it, everybody can edit the spreadsheet. =P Just be a good guy and do what you feel is necessary for the list. :thumbup:
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Why keep it to environment artists only? add sections for character and vfx artists and animators too maybe?
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    any little bit helps, thanks
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome idea Chris!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Character Artist, Animator and VFX Artists sheets added at the bottom :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Good idea, added myself in ;)
    Might catch on :)
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Cool, sounds like a good idea, I added myself in. Does experience in film also count in the studio experience tab?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano wrote: »
    Cool, sounds like a good idea, I added myself in. Does experience in film also count in the studio experience tab?

I would say that only game studios would be relevant :thumbup: