Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tribal Orc

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
supremedalek925 polycounter lvl 10
Hey there. I thought I'd share my progress on something I whipped up today.

I really just wanted to try my hand at creature/character design since environments is more my strong suit. I haven't gotten to texturing yet so I thought I'd pose it and make it a statue to show it off. I put it in UDK so it can look pretty.

7JvcQRm.jpg

wgjXZ6R.jpg

86IGADG.jpg

n3KhhCt.jpg

YRPtYGC.jpg

Replies

• Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    How does the High poly looks like? Or did you make a low poly only?
  • supremedalek925
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supremedalek925 polycounter lvl 10
    I started with the low poly and just added edge-loops and smoothing to get a high poly to bake. The rest of the details I'm going to get through hand drawn normal mapping.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How does his head fit in that skull? Also where did the skull model come from? It looks really out of place.
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    What is your targeted polycount? Because the polycount is quite uneven now, The skull looks really cool, but the body is holding it back a little I think. Also did you use any concept for that?
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I'd try to think about how a real-life statue would be actually made if you want to make it look more like a statue than a game character reskinned to a statue material (which might be perfectly fine, I've seen plenty of games do it)

IE, statues are usually chiseled out of a single piece of stone. Separate pieces like the rings and helmet would be merged into the statue at specific points as to not break off, and a lot of overlap usually occurs on limbs to prevent cracking and falling apart.

You could probably make the highpoly as separate objects while you're working on it so it is easier to sculpt, but it might be more beneficial as a whole to merge them together in the end or make the low-poly a single unified piece.

Just some thoughts, as making everything into a single piece provides some additional challenges with the uvs, keeping clean topology, and will make it much harder to change the model itself and the pose later, so I guess it's up to you.