Home General Discussion

Insights into the approval/team process at larger studios?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
Hello all,

I'm a bit curious as I've always wanted to work at a larger studio (what can be bad about being surrounded by people interested in the same forms of art and entertainment?) and was wondering how the art department usually handles the process of assets creation in a large team environment.

I've read various articles and art books about the whole development process and going from concepts to blockin placeholders and the like but I was more curious on the methods used for approval in a large environment. So far I've only worked in small teams (5-7 people max) where it was usually just a "hey what do you think so far/owner of the agency or client saying he'd/she like it if it could blah blah/needs more red."

Do you guys hold actual art critique sessions with the team sort of like art school/an open verbal polycount exchange, or is it mostly an art director giving you a list of things to do? Do you find you have some freedom in your artistic sensibilities when working or is it mostly cut-and-dry model this 1-to-1 under 700polies by 5pm and turn it in to Joe.

I'm basically curious as to the daily interactions of the art staff at the office and it would be awesome if someone could give some anecdotes about functioning as a whole or if you find yourself isolated in a cubicle with lists all day.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends on the culture of the studio. Although almost universally with larger teams you have more layers of management.

So the bulk of your approvals come from the Lead for your department, someone who's overseeing the work of 5-10 artists working in a particular discipline (environment interiors, or NPC characters, or cinematics, or whatever).

As for the "needs more red" issue, you'll find some Leads are great at managing others and giving helpful feedback, while others really suck at this. There's no one else to fill the spot, or they're great at kissing management arse, or something else invisible to you is keeping them in that spot despite their incompetence. Poop happens.

Open exchanges tend to be during down time, like on the way to lunch, or after work. Again depends on the place.

But when you're in the thick of production, not many people see and critique individual work. There's just no way that would work without being a huge time sink.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yea, this definitely depends on the studio. My previous company had a great AD and character lead who gave feedback while the character artists often exchanged critique. It was an amazing environment to work in, learn in, and grow from. Right now, I have a slightly different situation in which the feedback process consists of everyone from the character team including the lead giving feedback when an artist gets to a certain point in the creation process(ie final sculpt, final texture, etc). This is also a great creative environment and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.