Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MMM Ridge Racer Car And Car Girl

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
Hello! This is pretty much my first time posting here, I did make a couple posts before but I'd rather forget those :P . But I'm doing stuff now that I'm sure I'll need help with.

I'm coming from primarily using Blender, and I'm now learning 3ds max. I knew I needed something project based to keep me focused so that's why i'm doing this. So yes i'm learning as i go.

The project is inspired by my love of a game called Ridge Racer Type 4 back on the PS1. And I wanted to create a somewhat modern interpretation of the game.

A lot of the main cars in Ridge Racer seem to be based off a 90's model Honda NSX (Which was marketed as an Acura NSX in NA?). And while I do like the modern versions of the NSX, I also fell in love with the design for the Renault M

Replies

• iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the reason for the car girl is I remember the game had girls standing next to the cars right before races began. This is also a part of Japanese car shows and such.

So I looked up a bunch of references to the designs of car girls outfits in hong kong and japan, and saw a lot of interesting results. They do some really cool outfits!

I made a few concept designs for the outfit and settled on the one below which I would use for modeling reference.

r26ovb.jpg

Later after modeling i wanted to get an idea of how she might look in a render so I spent some time painting her.

2rw2rkg.jpg

I'm also leaning zbrush and after doing enough tutorials to where i could feel comfortable along with a sketch of sorts i started modeling this.

I started with a sphere and used dynamesh to pull out the form. I used to sculpt in highschool and it felt just like that! Remembering all the anatomy was difficult though but i used a combo of Blue Stacks and the Mara 3D female app to reference muscle groups and such. I basically just painted in muscles and smoothed it out.

I'll simply link to this one since I forgot to tag for nudity, so here is the image of the sculpted anatomy [NSFW].

I had to look up references to get the wrinkles right for the gloves and boots but i think it represents their material pretty well.

The current model looks like this.

35hfjb9.jpg

At this point I need to redo the skirt (I'm not happy about how i did the belt loops.)

After that i'll try making the low poly model which i think i have a good idea how to do.

As I said before suggestions and improvements to the character and outfit are appreciated!

Note though i'm currently focusing on the car, i'm switching back and fourth to keep things interesting so once i finish the detail on the car i'll be back on this.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    The proportions on your girl are way off. Even in the concept they look wrong and so that transferred to your model. Her head looks too large and her legs look too short. Once you fix those, you will probably have to adjust other areas such as the torso and arms to get it to look just right. As for the car, I'm not expert but it looks a bit off as well. Dig the design and the hair flow although the hair gets a little strange in the back at the bottom where it sort of loops back into itself.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh wrote: »
    The proportions on your girl are way off. Even in the concept they look wrong and so that transferred to your model. Her head looks too large and her legs look too short. Once you fix those, you will probably have to adjust other areas such as the torso and arms to get it to look just right. As for the car, I'm not expert but it looks a bit off as well. Dig the design and the hair flow although the hair gets a little strange in the back at the bottom where it sort of loops back into itself.

Hmmm, i think i see what you mean, could you give me a paint over so i can get a better idea. shouldn't be hard to fix.

her hair is just for visualization, i probably won't use it in the actual model. I thought the vortex of hair was a bit weird too XD

Also if something looks weird on the car its likely the part near the rear window, i'm working on that. Not sure how to make it look right but i'm definitely working on that spot.