Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rayph's Arena (Blood, Bone, and Steel)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Rayph polycounter lvl 13
Howdy everyone!

I figure firing up my own thread here on polycount will help keep some pressure on me to keep pushing this little side project of mine further.

What is Arena?
Right now I am treating arena as a fictional project for an old school arena fps, more or less a spiritual successor to quake 3. The setup for the game is to be as abstract and varied while calling back to alot of the more outlandish visual/level design of older games. So less civilized space opera and more Lovecraft atmosphere of insanity.

Here is some initial sketching (pretty rough/sloppy) I have been doing to search for some look and feel. I will be delving into some more traditional concepts in the coming weeks. My hope for this is to compile a style guide for a project from a concept perspective to one day share with the community. Style guides are things myself and others have bitched about not having on numerous productions and I just want to make one as a potential go to example others might use.

Anyway enough rambling here is some art!

Some arena/environment sketches. The general idea is to have goth/horror cathedrals with giant space demons in space. (no space demon concepts yet)

arena_level1.jpg

arena_level2.jpg

Some character vignettes

Hayt
Untitled-3.jpg

Magdalena
Untitled-4.jpg

Tusk
arena_tusk.jpg

Metal Angela
Arena_MetalAngela.jpg

Thanks for stopping in everyone!