Home General Discussion

PC Upgrade guidance.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
My MBP has been crashing trying to render a 270x480 image on mental ray.

So I am upgrading to a PC. I haven't assembled one is a long time. If I could have some guidance it would be great! :)

My mac specs:
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

Am thinking of upgrading to:

Processor Intel 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 4770K i7
Memory Transcend JetRam DDR3 8 GB PC RAMx2
Graphics ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 AMP Edition 2 GB
Motherboard MSI Z87-G43
SSD Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB

I already have a 850W Cooler Master PSU from my last build and the case is good too.

I might get another screen any suggestions in that area would be great too!
Also NVIDIA or ATI?
Intel or AMD?

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I'm not seeing any issues with the build. As for the card and processor, definitely go with NVidia and Intel, which you have in that build.
    I'd probably go with a bigger brand for the card though, like EVGA. I've personally never even heard of Zotac, so I'd feel wary about the stability of such a vital component.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    deohboeh wrote: »
    I might get another screen any suggestions in that area would be great too!

Have you considered UltraWide Screens? For example this 3440x1440 one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4

Definitely something I would look at if you work with node based applications (UE4, Substance Designer, Houdini, Nuke anyone?).

They got cheaper and smaller versions too => http://www.lg.com/us/ultrawide-monitors
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    I'd probably go with a bigger brand for the card though, like EVGA. I've personally never even heard of Zotac, so I'd feel wary about the stability of such a vital component.

Thanks man! I will keep that in mind. :)
    mantragora wrote: »
    Have you considered UltraWide Screens? For example this 3440x1440 one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4

Definitely something I would look at if you work with node based applications (UE4, Substance Designer, Houdini, Nuke anyone?).

They got cheaper and smaller versions too => http://www.lg.com/us/ultrawide-monitors

Thanks for the reply mantragora! I will give it a check!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. I don't know how I feel about ultrawide screens. I'd prefer going with (2) 2560x1440 screens for the price of htat one 3440x1440.

In addition, I feel like it'd be a pain in the ass if you're a tablet user as most tablets are built to work well with 16:9 formats. Having something ultrawide means that for any app that you want to use a stylus (Zbrush, Maya, Photoshop, etc), you're going to lose a large portion of usable tablet area unless you want to custom map where the tablet will work on the screen.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Also consider 2560x1440 30" panels. They provide a pixel count between the ultra-wide 4k and a 1440p 27" sizes- I find hte closer to square aspect ratio is more useful for modeling.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    beefaroni wrote: »
    In addition, I feel like it'd be a pain in the ass if you're a tablet...

What if you are a Cintiq user?

When I was building my workstation couple years ago I thought that it would be a good idea to have tablet and main screen the same size, so I bought 20" IPS NEC to my 20" Cintiq. Right now I know for sure that I need my main screen a lot bigger and wider than 20". But I use a lot of node based apps, so I need a lot of space. And I hate jumping from one monitor to second.

I'm not sure that I would go with the biggest one, but this is something I will strongly consider with my next workstation.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    mantragora wrote: »
    What if you are a Cintiq user?

When I was building my workstation couple years ago I thought that it would be a good idea to have tablet and main screen the same size, so I bought 20" IPS NEC to my 20" Cintiq. Right now I know for sure that I need my main screen a lot bigger and wider than 20". But I use a lot of node based apps, so I need a lot of space. And I hate jumping from one monitor to second.

I'm not sure that I would go with the biggest one, but this is something I will strongly consider with my next workstation.

Hmm, I don't know about that, tablet user myself. For node based stuff I just have my tablet setup so that it can rotate between

a. main screen
    b. second screen
    c. both screens

If I ever need Ill just use c. for node based stuff so I can have the entire tree on one screen and the app functions on the other. The border doesn't bother me that much.

I guess my main point is I don't see the benefit of going with the $1000 LG screen you posted over (2) 1440P monitors. With the PB278Q two of them will be able $1100 and will provide way more screen space.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    If your budget can stretch I would opt for getting 16gb of Ram - it'll give your pc a bit more longevity
  • Gnutmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    MephistonX wrote: »
    If your budget can stretch I would opt for getting 16gb of Ram - it'll give your pc a bit more longevity
    I think he is planing to. He has the x2 at the end of it wich could mean 8gb module x2.
    Overall a solid build. maybe get the non-K +h87 motherboardif u dont upgrade and want to save some cash, but other then that its a good build.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    Ahh my bad - hadn't noticed that - carry on
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys! This is very useful information! :)

Thanks Gnutumi I think I will check it out. :D