Home Technical Talk

BIPED, IK object

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
pureIK.jpg
excuse the swedish.

this is my current solution to one of the most basic things in 3d animation.
I'd like to know if this is the way 3d studio max wants me to do it, or if there is a better way?

basically,
I want to always have IK (sliding key) on my arms.
but I also want the arms to sometime during the animation, be parented under the holster, so that I can slide the sword in locally and smoothly.

going on what I noticed, that Animation > Constraints gets grayed out if I have a biped part selected, I came up with this solution.

-I create a point (or null to the rest of the 3d world) for each hand.
-Which then get's assigned under the Object on each hands Sliding Key IK property.
-The point then has a link constraint (assuming that's a parent constraint?) to the holster, which is keyable - thank god.
-I set the points to be linked to the World. So that the arms basically get a new world vector. (I also giggle a bit)
-I never animate - for example the right hands point, until it actually needs to slide the sword into the holster.
-So the arm is free to IK all over the place. Moving the point will ofc still offset the arm..

Is this the proper way to solve a simple parent on/off scenario where I want to always be able to have IK on a biped part - but not have it be controlled by an outside object?

That's just silly though isn't it?

Do tell me if that's the correct way to do this or not!
Thanks! :D

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I spent a good 20 seconds trying to read that image before realizing it's not English. :)

You pretty much nailed the process though. If you were using a custom rig you'd have more options. But with Biped I've done the process you explained several times. It becomes less awkward the more you work with it.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    understood, thank you!!

yeah, I'll see what rig they'll have for me. but they basically told me to get used to biped before my job starts.. it'd be nice if they'd have some custom stuff over it :)

thanks again!!