Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jet Engine - Rolls-Royce Welland

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
I've been in the process of creating this engine so that I have something that I'm proud of to put within my portfolio, I've been lacking in that area for a while.

There's a few things missing from the jet as I couldn't find any blueprints or reference images to match it well enough (it was one of the first few jet engines every built)

Beauty Shots

aEM6Yw4jpg

lH6PrtCjpg

AO and wire breakdown

WAcIbJljpg

I9l0RsNjpg

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Congratulations on getting this done man, it looks awesome. Are you going to make this game ready next? Or just move on?
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 wrote: »
    Congratulations on getting this done man, it looks awesome. Are you going to make this game ready next? Or just move on?

Thanks man, I was considering it but I may leave it, one for the high poly pile and move on to another project that people will like, this one doesn't seem so hot from the looks of replies.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Mossbros wrote: »
    Thanks man, I was considering it but I may leave it, one for the high poly pile and move on to another project that people will like, this one doesn't seem so hot from the looks of replies.

Yea this work isn't very good.

Kidding. For real though, you gotta have some confidence in this piece :D. I'm absolutely in love with the second image and the contrast between the painted blue and the copper.

I'd love to see a game ready asset created with it. My ONLY suggestion is to add some decals or something to the side. Right now, I get a good sense of how large it is, but I think a warning decal or barcode or something (these are poor examples) would really just sell the scale from the first second of viewing.
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    this one doesn't seem so hot from the looks of replies.
    Oh come on you know this model is great. It sure is! What kind of replies did you expect?
    Modeling is really lovely. I suggest you play with materials.
    Try painting some parts around air intake black. And reflections on combustion chambers look too bright, I'd make them much blurrier and maybe anisotropic.
    Anyhow I'd love to see more models like this here on polycount.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Yea this work isn't very good.

Kidding. For real though, you gotta have some confidence in this piece :D. I'm absolutely in love with the second image and the contrast between the painted blue and the copper.

I'd love to see a game ready asset created with it. My ONLY suggestion is to add some decals or something to the side. Right now, I get a good sense of how large it is, but I think a warning decal or barcode or something (these are poor examples) would really just sell the scale from the first second of viewing.

I would have more confidence in my work but in all honesty when you don't get any replies apart from someone you know personally, and your thread slowly drifts to page 4 while people asking questions get 20+ replies what else can you fill your conscious with, I enjoy doing what I do but sometimes you get so lost in doing it you fail to see if it's good or not.

I will definitely see about adding decals to make it look more authentic.
    JamesTKirk wrote: »
    Oh come on you know this model is great. It sure is! What kind of replies did you expect?
    Modeling is really lovely. I suggest you play with materials.
    Try painting some parts around air intake black. And reflections on combustion chambers look too bright, I'd make them much blurrier and maybe anisotropic.
    Anyhow I'd love to see more models like this here on polycount.

When you spend a lot of time making something, all you see is the issues with it.
    I was just wanting criticism to be honest, all I received was dust weevil's and silence.

I will be sure to try and make the combustion chambers look more scolded, if I can find a way to get newtons rings working in keyshot I may add that too, for that heated metal look (Differential tempering).

e3de5eaee6ea7bf8c51d01e7f611fccd.png

I really do appreciate the replies though guys.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Well it's a good example of some nice hard surface modelling, but I guess that's about it really man. There's nothing particularly mindblowing about it as an asset because it's fairly simple in real life anyway (just a few cylinders and some splines). Also the lack of replies might be down to the fact that polycount is diluted with hard surface props such as this, and rendering quality is so good now that people just kinda expect this sort of quality.

However, please dont feel that I'm at all downplaying the good work you've done here, it's a solid piece. Just my 2p as to why you're noticing a lack of replies!
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP wrote: »
    Well it's a good example of some nice hard surface modelling, but I guess that's about it really man. There's nothing particularly mindblowing about it as an asset because it's fairly simple in real life anyway (just a few cylinders and some splines). Also the lack of replies might be down to the fact that polycount is diluted with hard surface props such as this, and rendering quality is so good now that people just kinda expect this sort of quality.

However, please dont feel that I'm at all downplaying the good work you've done here, it's a solid piece. Just my 2p as to why you're noticing a lack of replies!

I have to say that I agree, I took the engine as more so of a technical challenge for myself as even though cylindrical modeling looks simple, pulling shapes out of them is one of the things I find difficult.

My comment from earlier "one for the high poly pile and move on to another project that people will like" was kinda in remarks to what you said, but more of an inner monologue, people sure do like shiny but sometimes its best to go with things people know.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I know the feeling. It REALLY sucks when you post something you're very passionate about and you get 0 replies. I feel like you only get replies if it's either an absolute masterpiece or a piece of shit. If it's "just good" no one will bother. It can be quite demotivating.

/rant

Anyway the model looks great! The shapes may be pretty simple but it is well executed.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I have to say that I agree, I took the engine as more so of a technical challenge for myself as even though cylindrical modeling looks simple, pulling shapes out of them is one of the things I find difficult.

My comment from earlier "one for the high poly pile and move on to another project that people will like" was kinda in remarks to what you said, but more of an inner monologue, people sure do like shiny but sometimes its best to go with things people know.

It's a really great piece for practice, nice work dude! Keep up the great work.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    komaokc wrote: »
    I know the feeling. It REALLY sucks when you post something you're very passionate about and you get 0 replies. I feel like you only get replies if it's either an absolute masterpiece or a piece of shit. If it's "just good" no one will bother. It can be quite demotivating.

/rant

Anyway the model looks great! The shapes may be pretty simple but it is well executed.

Yea it's always a bit of a demote when that happens, I force myself to seek out threads that have either no posts or a very small amount and comment on them.

• Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    It's a nice model, rendering looks cool too.
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    I hear you!
    When you do something it's very good to hear some words of approval. Not to feel prominent, but just to know you are on the right way. I believe it's crucial for artist to constantly doubt the quality of his work.

When I started posting my models on polycount I was pretty much discouraged with reserved replies. But now I just got used to it.
    I personally like your engine very much. Probably high poly jet engine is just not what most people expect to see on polycount.