Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Transitioning to environment/prop art

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Leinad polycounter lvl 11
I am making the transition to prop and environment art. I'll be posting my progress in this thread along the way.

I originally did mainly character art, but after much feedback from a previous post here on polycount it was advised to me to consider branching out to environments and props in order to more quickly reach my career goals of working in-house as a 3D artist.

You can find the discussion at the following link if interested: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134547

I'll be posting everything I do, even the stuff that I don't like.

BeautyShotLogod.jpg

10443511_640700167577_6695445914018922908_n.jpg

Replies

• Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started this flower. I am still debating on whether I should add more resolution to the stem. Right now it's just two planes dissecting one another perpendicularly which looks a bit odd from some views.

delete3.jpg

delete2.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice start man, it's always scary transitioning like that but you're doing a good job so far :) Keep at it!
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Chrisadsby! Yea it's quite intimidating, the learning has been quite rewarding and rapid since it's all so new to me.

I am playing around with some composition of the overall shot atm, here is what I have so far.

delete1.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my last update for today, I made some adjustments here and there. The scene still feels like it's missing something, it might be due to it lacking a main subject of interest, not sure.

I personally enjoy fairly saturated grass, but I am not sure if it's too much given how unsaturated the terrain in the distance is.

delete.jpg
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man, good work so far the transition is always a leap.

One thing that stands out to me is the lighting, it is really flat and I think you are losing some detail out of that. You could also try adding some dirt to the ground and on the rocks.
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    It's a good start, though I wonder if you've got a goal for this piece. Since you're transitioning, I would suggest working off a piece of concept as it'll give you focus.

At present it looks like you've sculpted a semi-photoreal rock with almost cartoony features, some definitely cartoon-like flowers and cartoon-like grass. The backdrop is rather empty yet it takes up almost 50% of the canvas. Don't get me wrong here, it's fine making elements but there's no cohesion: it's a mix of cartoon/photo and the composition could do with some work. Completely agree with Ssjtroll regarding the lighting, it is flat so it may with worth experimenting with the brightness and angle of the light.

Before you get too far, I recommend checking out the many "NOOB Challenge" threads posted on Polycount that would serve as a great basis to produce some nice portfolio pieces. In particular it'll be good to read through the various stages of the challenge and see how people interpreted the concept and how they light it in the engine.

Good luck on your move into Environment Art.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I am taking all of the advice as I go. I think the cartoony look has a lot to do with the lighting in the scene. A lot of the issues in the scene come from the fact that I am a large noob in cryengine but I am making slow progress.

Here is an update, and also a photo-reference of the flower that I created to illustrate what I mean that the flower is not cartoon-like.

Edit: Just to elaborate further on referencing. While I do reference environments heavily for this project I decided early on to concentrate more on learning the program than creating a very specific type of look for the scene.

delete.jpg

delete2.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Those flowers look HUGE! other then that it looks pretty sweet.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks lotet. Here is an updated version that I made after considering your feedback.

After further consideration for what whw said, I decided to look through some of the noob challenges and found one of the old ones where the concept art that was used motivated me to try my hands at creating the same scene. To ensure I am not working in a bubble I feel like I am at a good stage to start showing off some of the progress.

Here are all of the relevant images below:

CryEngine_FinalScreenShot.jpg
    BlockOut.jpg
    DoorScreenGrab.jpg

ScreenShot.jpg
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I would make a high poly first and then bake that onto a low poly. You should try and make this into a habit. Your assets will look much nicer if baked from a high poly properly.

A flat texture can only get you so far.
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    Hey, good choice of concept and glad to hear it's given you that extra push.

Regarding the props so far, they're on track. Keep in mind any wear and tear that may occur in a basement storage, especially where items are thrown around, kicked or have water damage.

As for workflow, it depends where you want to go with the overall look. If your aim is to handpaint/stylised, then you may not need the high poly -> low poly bake approach. Though you will need to put more lighting information into your textures than you have at the moment. If you're aiming for something akin to The Darkness 2 (which would fit with the concept you've chosen), then creating a high-poly would help, then just add some dings and scratches on top of the diffuse. Check out Jason Lavoie's awesome "The Darkness 2" stuff for some inspiration: http://www.artstation.com/artwork/the-darkness-2
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo: Thanks, but I am a bit confused on what you're saying since what I posted is actually not flat textures. The actual model was first created in highpoly and then I created a low game resolution from that model. Perhaps it's due to it being shown in still images but here is an image of only the normals.

The panels, diagonal lines and screws and wood detail and the mail slot on the door is all in the normals (baked from the highpoly) and not only represented in the color map. Also as far as the water-heater is concerned everything but the spout is through baking the highpoly information onto a lowpoly cylinder. Perhaps I am misunderstanding some terminologies that are being used. I assume by flat textures you mean the detail in the color map is not represented on the actual normals that is baked down from the highpoly mesh to the low poly mesh?

whw: Right now the aim is to stay moderately close to the concept, but there are some color choices that I don't really dig but I can easily adjust later on if I decide to get closer to the actual color pallete of the concept. An example of this would be the door, I really don't like the green wood.

delete.jpg

edit: for clarity here is the normals that were baked from highpoly.

delete1.jpg

delete2.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow the forum moves quite fast today. Does anyone know what tobbo means by baking the normals properly and having flat textures? I would love to know if I am approaching this incorrectly so that I can fix it early on into the project before I get too far into creating all of the assets. For me it is quite obvious that the detail is baked from high to low, but if it isn't obvious to others then maybe I am not seeing something so it's important for me to fix that now.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry for the confusion and misunderstanding, let me see if I can clear it up a bit. :)

There's nothing wrong with the normal map or the textures themselves.

What I was really getting at was that you are relying too much on your textures to do the work that should be accomplished with geometry in your low poly. Your normal map can only do so much for you, and while it does a good job of mimicking high poly information on less extruded objects (bolts, screws, etc.) the more pronounced extruded parts of an object still need to have geometry supporting it.

For example, the only other geometry you have on your hot water heater besides the actual cylinder base is the faucet. I am merely suggesting that you should define more of your shapes with actual geometry in your low poly.

In my opinion, the cylinder connecting the faucet to the hot water heater should have been accomplished with geometry just as the faucet was. The middle band going around the heater looks like it sticks out far enough that it could use some extruded geometry on the low poly as well. You have all of the shapes baked onto just a cylinder and it's making the silhouette and object seem very flat (even with a normal map).

Normal maps cannot replace actual silhouette defining geometry.

I hope this clears things up a little better. I apologize for not being as clear as I should have been in my earlier post. That was my fault.

Would you mind posting some pictures of your high poly meshes?
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    ^^ It's all about the silhouettes baby. Nice job on the rocks though.

I'm in a love hate relationship when ever it comes to making rocks. Somedays they look like rocks, other days they turn into mud.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo: Great, that makes sense, I will definitely make sure to address the flatness. The highpoly is very basic but I'll make sure to really start pushing the silhouette of the lowpoly when necessary, right now I am working on the stairs so I'll start with that and work back to fixing some of the things you pointed out. Thanks again, I really appreciate all of the feedback.

Deathstick: Thanks! I know what you mean, most of what I do is a love hate relationship, a constant struggle between success and failure... One trick I have is that I work on a few things concurrently so that when I get that feeling when everything I am doing isn't working I take a break by working on a different model. It helps break it up, I just try to get 1 positive feeling at a time and keep that feeling coming in as long as possible and try to avoid the crappy ones =P

delete3.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been a while since my last post. Currently I am working on a vehicle after some email exchanges about my portfolio. It seems like having some subd modeling on my portfolio would better illustrate my modeling abilities. So that's what I have been doing.

It hasn't been easy, I started off pretty good, but slowed down dramatically once the major shapes were created. Here is what I have so far. I feel like given the nature of the creation process sometimes taking a break to share the progress would help refuel my enthusiasm for the project.

It's a lamborghini aventador.

delete1.jpg

delete2.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a bit burnt out from modeling the car. After a few days of simply avoiding it, I decided to lighten things up by doing something a bit less technical to ease my way back into working.

This is more character/prop work rather than environment, it was quite fun to do =P

BeautfyShot.jpg

Painting.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently started a tree for an owl I previously created. I created the textures by using Zbrush and photoshop. Still WIP, I would love to get any feedback if you have some to give :)

delete.jpg
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    Loving baby Gara!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    That owl looks gorgeous! I think you need to take another look at your colour choices however - especially in your environments.

In the last image with the tree, your sky is SUPER saturated blue, and a very strong medium value blue at that. The green and blue also are strongly saturated and dark - and the whole thing clashes, with the background (least important part) of your image dominating the picture.

Lets apply this to the grass and rocks environment - The biggest reason it looks cartoony to me is the bright green grass. Two reasons here: again very saturated, medium value green , and no colour variation among the grass. It comes across as a solid block of colour, and a very dominating colour at that. These two features both contrast heavily with the rocks that have nice variation in tone and texture, and also use a desaturated palette.

Palette is the key word here. try and look at the scene as a whole while you are texturing these assets. You will need to make back and forth adjustments - or you can set up a shader in UDK that will let you make colour adjustments in the game engine while viewing your scene.

You clearly have a background in painting so I've probably gone overboard on the colour explainations :P But the difference is that while you can see the whole canvas as you paint, you can't really see the lighting and environment as you paint textures.

I would recommend taking screenshots of your 3d models and doing paint-overs, and/or make levels adjustments in Photoshop.
    Take a look at all the tutorial you can find on lighting and colour composition too - you might have to go back to the books as you find your feet.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks MattyWS, I am glad you like that character, it was definitely one of the more enjoyable projects for me since I love the character in the anime.

Thank you so much for the feedback Fearian, I hope this is a step in the right direction. Outside of the color issues I was seeing there were also some really bad composition issues that I couldn't really figure out easily. For now, I feel like this is a step in the right direction. I basically just added a really basic environment for the character to exist in. The composition feels a bit more balanced. I basically toned down the saturation like crazy, I get a bit overboard with that. Again, thank you so much for the feedback!

Here is the current update:
    Owl_BeautyShot.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recently I made a post here on polycount to receive portfolio feedback.

you can find that post here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139641

One of the biggest criticism was that all of my old characters were in a t-pose.

Even though I am focused on environments and props at the moment, I didn’t want to remove all of the work I’ve done on characters. So I am currently making my way back and doing some quick poses. I apologize for it not being an environment, I just want to keep all of my progress in one area so it's not scattered in different threads.

So here is a simple pose I did today, nothing too crazy, but it did help bring the character to life.

Mat.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I am currently working on this scene and it felt like the right time to start posting some wip shots of it.

The tiling textures have been made using Substance Designer and Zbrush.

I am most likely going to need to create a couch, plants/flowers, and some shelves to fill up the scene. This is mainly a project to get me comfortable with making tiling textures and becoming more familiar with UE4.

One thing I've had a hard time finding is a tutorial on how to do a proper mirror reflection in UE4. Right now I have a scene capture 2d texture but it acts like a TV screen rather than a mirror. I was looking for a tutorial on how to set up a blueprint to camera rotate based on player angle but surprisingly I haven't been able to find one.

scene_Progress.jpg
  • sushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try encapsulating your scene in a post process volume, then activate screen space reflections.

EDIT: Juding from the reflections on the floor it looks like you have already enabled screen space reflections? In that case I would try using maximum metalness/minimum roughness values for the mirror.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sushi, one issue I had with the metalness and roughness mirror is that it wasn't clear. Here is an attached image to illustrate it, my issue is I want to try to make a clean looking mirror.

Searching online I found the scene capture 2d which is basically a texture that is attached to a camera. The problem I am having is if I do end up going with the capture version I'd need to use blueprint to adjust the rotation according to the players view point. But, I haven't been able to find a tutorial on how to go about doing that. Still trying to figure out what's the best way to go on about making a mirror that reflects properly.

For now I am moving onto filling up the room, hopefully I'll run into a mirror tutorial along the way so that I can swap the current placeholder.

delete.jpg

Here is the scene capture 2d version from the same angle

delete2.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I have a quick question about shadows in UE4. I am trying to get darker noticeable shadows in my scene but I am having a hard time finding which settings I need to change to get the desired outcome. Is there some sort of slider for shadow darkness? Thanks! Below I've attached an image to illustrite the current lighting in the scene, everything looks floaty since there isn't any noticeable casting shadows.

delete.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn’t sure if this art test deserves its own thread so I am posting it here. I did this art test roughly 3 weeks ago and wanted to share it. I Haven’t heard anything back, but I did really like the end result so I just put it on my folio. It took roughly 10 hours to do.

Thumbnail.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made some adjustments to the overall layout of the scene. Currently I am working on a computer desk to place in the scene, and some plates/silverware.

Still have a lot of placeholders (like the fireplace) to swap out, just making slow and steady progress as I figure out UE4.

room2.jpg

room3.jpg

room1.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little update! I think I need a plant in there of some sort next.

Eventually I'll remove some of the vases, I threw a few around just to see which areas of the room were giving me the kind of reflections I was hoping for.

polycount1.jpg

Polycount2.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been studying the unreal engine scene "realistic rendering" in order to improve my understanding in how to light in unreal.

I emptied out the scene and just started with walls till the lighting looked similar to the scene I was referencing. I've been looking at the materials in the referenced scene trying to understand what's going on, it's a bit confusing at times.

The main issues I am trying to solve right now, is getting a simple realistic chrome inside of unreal (it is not as simple as creating one in marmoset) and proper cloth.

The cloth fabric on the curtains is not mine, it's currently placeholder while I try to understand how to make one of my own where the light passes through.

testshot.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update. I ended up reuving the scene so that I can reduce the lightmap resolutions. I also modified the reflections and lighting.

UnrealEngine_ShadowFix.jpg
  • Dobbler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    Really liking the the latest renders, your lighting has improved a lot! One thing that seems a bit off - and this could just be the perspective of your photos - but the wall lights highlighting the picture frames don't seem to match up with your light sockets, like all three lights are just a little too far to the left.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dobbler!

I think that is a perspective issue (I may move the sockets closer to the wall regardless since it did throw me off earlier as well). Here is a better perspective to illustrate it.

lightsillustration.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I've been busy making some guns. I'll post a new model soon!

I've been slowly chipping away at a new gun model and wanted to take a quick break to learn substance painter. I chose to revisit an old model and try to improve the old texture, I've struggled with it for a while but I think I've finally did something decent with it.

below I've posted the old gun, followed by the updated version.

I did not design the gun, the original concept was done by an artist from WETA studios.

Here is the old veriosn

ScreenGrab_Marmoset.jpg

Here is the new version

Color.jpg

Wires.jpg
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    Love seeing your work! I kinda want to see your natural environments more !
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O wow, sorry I missed your reply KingKellogg. Thank you so much for the compliment, I am glad you like my work :)!

I recently finished a new gun, I figured it would be appropriate to post it here as well. I am trying to get in the habit of keeping most of the WIP separate from this thread so it doesn't get too cluttered.

Color.jpg

Wire.jpg

Maps.jpg
  • JasonW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, a nice a wide variety of styles, techniques and medium. I love to see some breakdowns for some of them.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the compliment Jason. A big part of my current process has been trying to learn many different approaches in hopes of pushing my work to the next level and finding an area where I have the most success in.

Right now I am trying to be a bit more focused on hard-surfaced modeling and seeing what I can fill up my portfolio with.

On my previous post there was this one too sharp edge in the bottom right hand of the screen (the gun in first person view) that was really bothering me since it was causing some artifacts. I went back into the normals and softened the edges a bit. I can now call it "finished"... At least for now =P

Color.jpg