Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Project: Futurama

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ShortCake polycounter lvl 10
Hey Guys.
I decided to dedicate a thread to my new project seeing as it's going to be a big one.
The goal at first was to just make Fry, but after I started doing anatomy studies and trying my hand at realism I figured doing the whole Futurama cast could be a great way to practice a whole range of body types, ethnicities, creatues and hard surface modeling. Some of these I have never attempted before (aliens and robots naming a few).

I'll be doing them in a batch of three, simply because I've already started doing three characters.
And they are:

-Fry, Amy and Leela.
-Hermes, Farnsworth and Zap Brannigan.
-Zoidberg, Kiff and Bender.
I might do Nibbler as a bonus character, we'll see.

I'll start of easy with the humans ( even though making an attractive lady Cyclops will be difficult) and leave the creatures and robot for last when I'm feeling more confident to tackle them.

C&C is always welcome.
Enjoy!

Working on: PHILIP J FRY

Latest Update:

fry_wip_by_shortcakeart-d7qwobd.jpg

fry02_wip_by_shortcakeart-d7s6woz.jpg

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    He's looking really nice.

Translating such a simplified character is obviously up to a fair bit of interpretation, but I think your guy might be a little too fit and healthy. Fry is usually drawn with a bit of a pot belly and poor posture.
    futurama%20fry%20turanga%20leela%201600x1200%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperno.com_12.jpg

Whatever the case, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the other characters. I don't think I've seen a successful realistic interpretation of Leela yet
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really cool! I do agree that the variation is characters is quite interesting and this sounds like a really cool project. Personally, i couldnt bare to stick to a single theme for that long

Fry looks good! Agree with jackablades crit about posture though.
    Jackblade: seems like you missed a kickass leela made by a fellow polycounter some time ago
  • ShortCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShortCake polycounter lvl 10
    Jackblade: Thanks for your input. I do agree with the posture looking at it now.

butt_sahib: Thanks!

Leela is definitely going to be a huge challenge, as will Bender and Zoidberg. I think those three will be really tricky.But I think it'll be fun. =D
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I do love me some Futurama. Did you happen to see this post in WAYWO? Might give you some ideas for translating these characters to 3d.