• pmiller001
  • pmiller001
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I hope this makes sense to you:

EyGYHQv.jpg

I think a solid skull study from good reference would help you a lot. I suggest this especially looking around the forehead and eye region.

Good luck!
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    The shape of the skull looks weird indeed.

EmAr did a great job explaining all the main mistakes.

Keep going dude !
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You should get planes of face right first.

Follow that paintover, and look up some more referneces. Good luck there.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Hey guys I just saw your comments. by the time I had seen it Ialready moved on to the poly paint and such, but I went ahead and took some steps back and made the changes you were talking about Emar. What do y'all think?

methwoman13.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    It does come off as a bit wobbly and stuff. I've learnt that it's easier to sculpt heads once you learn the anatomy of one.

content_Skull_Anterior_View.png
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    As tempting as it may be to paint and embellish your mesh, I can't stress how important it is to work slowly and carefully. To be perfectly honest, I really think it would be more beneficial to learning if you did a generic human bust instead of a tattered meth head bust (as fun as it may be, haha).

Check out www.anatomy4sculptors.com, they have some pretty good free resources for general human anatomy. Good luck!
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I'm definetly going to do a generic bust after this. I've just learned so much from this little thing so far, it'd be a shame if I just stopped now. I'll take it as far as I can, then chock it up to burned and learned. Otherwise,
    Thanks Clusterone for that website, its been bookmarked.
    Stirls i'm not too sure what you mean by wobbly. Whenever you're not too busy could you point it out to me?
    Otherwise thanks to everyone so far. Y'all are great
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    You know what, Stirls, after looking through some of these blockouts on the anatomy site that clusterone linked I think I understand what you're saying.
    Is it like my strokes arent deliberate enough?
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Right now the head seems mushy with very little bone structure influence underneath it. I would defintiely revisit the block out and focus on the larger mass of the head and dont worry about wrinkles and details until much later.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, in a sense. I used to have the same sort of problem as you. I started refining things too early. You've gotta start with the planes first, man. Preferrably at a low-res stage. Progressively build up resolution as you want to add more and more detail.

It's also helpful you define certain points on the head. Landmarks, if you will. So you have some sense of proportion. I always start with the "frame" of the orbital surface and then build outward from there. Eyes to cheek-bones, to ears, etc.

Perhaps try skulpting a skull first? Just to wrap your head (hah) around how the human head should look.

I always have this one handy just in case I come upon a bit of artist-block.
    3d888ec3f0.jpg

human_skull_side.jpg
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Skullpic2.jpg

ok! I went ahead and attempted some skull practice? HOw close are these shapes? I stayed FAR AWAY from details , I just wanted to make these shapes clear. Whatsup?
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Your skull is blobby and you're missing some key forms.
    I'd suggest keeping at a lower subdiv, looks like you're going too high too fast and getting distracted from base forms, even when you're trying not to.

Go back and compare your mandible to some refs; it's the wrong shape and missing something from both the front and side views. The cheek bone's a little weird, too.

Keep it up, try to do as much as you can at a low point count before subdividing.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    D2zEFvj.jpg

Ok what do you think about this? I think the back of the head is too big, but I want to make sure i'm not the only one that thinks that.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Better! It does look a little bloated at the back there, but it looks a lot more solid. Good Job.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    ZadlFLP.jpg

Ok so decided to put the muscle on the skull so i can really feel what a human head is like. I'm throwing in the big shapes, does this look right so far? or?