Home General Discussion

Preferred Game Genre

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
Good Morning Polycount!

Me and some buddies are in the beginning stages for creating a game, 2 artists and a programmer. I just wanted to poll yall as to what genre yall are most interested in :)

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not here to bring down your thread, but I would warn you about making any kind of multiplayer only game. The risk of failure is much higher for these games, simply because it is entirely dependent on your player base. The game could be really awesome but without a strong player base it will flop.

Plus the multiplayer only market is highly saturated. You're considering making another moba? Why should players pick your game over much more popular mobas such as Dota2 and LoL?

If you have a weak launch and your player base isn't there from day one, the people who do play your game will quickly spread the word and advise everyone to stay away due to very few players.

If your game is riddled with bugs from day one, the players again will spread the word advising players to stay away from your game. Even if you patch the game and fix most of the bugs, it will be too late to bring back the player base you need.

It's much more difficult to recover with a multiplayer only game. If something goes wrong, most players won't be patient with you to fix it. They'll just move on to another multiplayer only game.

I would suggest doing a singleplayer game with maybe a focus on some co-op/additional multiplayer action. That way if your multiplayer flops, or something goes terribly wrong, players can still play your game via singleplayer and their experience isn't completely ruined.

Just some things to think about.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Apologies if English isn't your first language, but it's "genre", not "genera".
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Open world 3d action is my favorite genre. GTA, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry and so on.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Why results hidden :O ?Why is that even a option ;')))
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    ^Second this haha
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it is set to hide results BEFORE you vote, so previous voting doesn't influence your vote. Once you vote the results are shown.

There is a switch to turn that off when setting up the poll. A moderate can change it after the fact if the original poster wants to enable that option.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tobbo thank you so much for the in depth response. These are defiantly some of the concerns that we are having when thinking of potential ideas.

@Cheeseontoast thank you for catching that

@superfranky oh man those are epic! I think thats a bit to much for us to tackle right now.

Since we are a small team we wanted to see what is popular among other avid gamers so we can choose the best possible path for our future project. I just wanted to thank everyone for their response and look forward to seeing more :)

This is the first pole i have set up, i think i set it to show the results after you vote, if its not the moderator can totally change it :) but currently
    Here are the results

Sci-Fi action/adventure at 50%
    arena Fps with horde elements at 28.57%
    and other at 21.43%
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nerf bat ninja I see your point, those are just the genres that we have kicked around but we are totally open to what ever. What Genre do you enjoy playing?
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I think it is set to hide results BEFORE you vote, so previous voting doesn't influence your vote. Once you vote the results are shown.
    Not in this case -- after voting it says "The results are hidden" next to each option.

It's incredibly rare that I'm willing to even touch multiplayer only games. Any of these options would have to become something extraordinary and new to make me even a little interested.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    You're missing a lot of genres. Choosing "others" does very little for polling purposes.

So far I've come to enjoy playing online RPGs the most. If it's single player, it has to have a great story for me to get hooked.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I voted, but results are still hidden, btw.

Like already stated, there are already so many MOBAs recently. Many of them from big companies. You will be fighting em almost head-on. With DOTA, LOL, SMITE, lots more from Korean, and Bethesda jumping on board too... Or the released yet almost no one plays Demigod and Heroes of Newearth.

If you're indie, then focus on indie game, don't be making AAA games.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    choices are weird and confusing

but my vote would be no genre/undefined.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    What kind of resources do you have at your disposal? That should be the most important factor in determining what kind of game to make. Does your team have experience making a certain type of game? Can you allocate resources to push your game into an already saturated market? What is your deadline? etc.

MOBAs for example, are incredibly popular already. You need to either come up with some kind of unique twist that lets you stand out from the crowd, or you can force your way into the market by being able to provide things like a large variety of unique heroes and a unique art style that will convince players to at least give your game a shot.

What kind of business model do you have in mind? That should also influence your decisions early on.

Considering you only have two artists and one programmer, I would strongly suggest taking things down a notch. Game development is very much a team effort and in this case, you're basically piling the bulk of the heavy technical work onto one programmer who may not even be an expert in every area that you need (gameplay programming, engine programming, networking, etc.)

To answer your question, I love playing games of every genre. I play FPS games, visual novels, adventure games, story driven "art" games, racing games, etc. Basically, if I have free time, I'll sit down and play something on any of my consoles or pick something that I haven't touched in my Steam library.

I don't finish every game I start since I don't have the free time, but story is probably the most important thing in a game to me if it's a singleplayer title, and competitive balance is the most important thing to me in a multiplayer title. If the game is singleplayer, then I don't care if the gameplay is as simple as pressing one button if the story being told in front of me is interesting and memorable. Similarly, if I'm playing a competitive game, I don't care about lore, art, sound, music, etc. All I want is that the game keeps competition in mind, and that the developers are willing to frequently update the game to ensure it stays balanced.

My favorite multiplayer game would have to be Counter-Strike, and my favorite singleplayer game would have to be American McGee's Alice.

Good luck on your project!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I like some of the new platform shooters like Risk of Rain. I'll probably buy Broforce as well. Also, Goat Simulator... I used to play a lot of L4D2 before these.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Character-driven, single player, third person, action-adventure games.

As a hard rule I don't play online games or multiplayer at all.

thiiis
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Remake Wind Jammers.