Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechanical Humanoid: The Devil Hawk.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys. I'm dipping my toes in hardsurface and mechanical modelling with this character I concepted.

He is a giant robot/monster known as the Devil Hawk.

DevilConcept.jpg

This is not a primary priority for me right now, but I've been hammering out bits of work here and there. Please comment, crit and give tips on better hardsurface techniques if possible. I'm a total newb at hardsurface stuff, so please, set me alight and let me burn.

DevilHawkWIP2.jpg

DevilHawkWIP1.jpg

Just the chest and head at the moment. working on the arms and I'm not sure how to approach the torso and hips.

Replies

• Paradyme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man! This is a REALLY cool design. Can't wait to see the process and final result. In love with it already! :thumbup:
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I think the chest plates look better in the concept. They're a bit too bulky atm, kind of makes it look like (s)he has boobies. Trapezius pieces are a bit too bulky/angular too, but maybe they'll work better with the finished model. The rest is looking awesome so far.

It's pretty hard to see, but if this is going to be baked you'll probably want to soften up your edges.

As a side note, please take some better screenshots! They don't do the model any justice. You can use marmoset 2 to take nice highish poly renders.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips! And I don't think I'll be baking this down, this is more for fun.

As for the chest-neck (traps) angularity, it is a deviation from the concept, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mind redoing it. The chest in particular is not my best work. I've learned a bit more on high poly smooth previews and the crease tools in Maya and I plan to apply a ton of that knowledge in the future.

As for rendering: yeah, these are just screen grabs in Maya, I don't have a copy of TB2: i haven't looked into it, though I am familiar with the awesome stills people can achieve. I don't want to buy any more software for the time being, especially not for a little learning project like this one.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress, but its slow going. Maya has an issue where if I load a scene, the depth-mask shadows dont work at all. I dont technically NEEEED them, but the really help me understand where certain parts need to be used to fill in boring areas.

I've also been working on the arm, but that pretty much looks nothing like an arm right now.

DevilHawkWIP3.jpg

DevilHawkWIP5.jpg

Also, remove the Devil Hawk's armour and he looks like a sissy...

DevilHawkWIP4.jpg
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I love the design and the face of the thing

Was he actually designed to be able to turn his head though? Just wondering as the little piston things look like collar bones to support a neck but it's hard to tell if there is a neck.

Basically I'm curious how he would move and if he has any robotic limitations or an even wider scale of movement than a normal human (a good kind of curious) :)
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking his neck would have basic movement, but not as much as a human neck; but overall his motion is a tad more restricted than a nimble human. However the main part of this design that I have forgotten to illustrate is the fact that the Devil Hawk is 40-50 meters tall, so a little lack of movement range is made up for in the fact that this thing could level a city if he wanted to.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Sounds sweet, any recent updates? I'm looking forward to seeing more of this guy :D