Uberren polycounter lvl 11
EDITS:
We have a website :)
http://superbattlelands.com/

Most Recent In-Game Screenshot:
wmLPhV2.png

==============================================================================

Hi all!
So I teamed up with a programmer and started creating art for our game, Super Battlelands.

It's heavily inspired by Advance Wars and I would really appreciate hearing what you think about the terrain models I have created so far.
Ocean tiles and waves are still WIP.

Please ignore the placeholder units :P

Random map generation:
Mf60ARq.png
XS92APm.png
xzzdCbw.png

Up close of some of the tiles:
fsggYLW.png
t9SgrL3.png
^These buildings will change colours depending on which team captures them through the shader.

S4jX5sQ.png
4RF4LOY.png
tkTu2og.png
ccTzQ8n.png

Replies

• Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the light tanks for the 4 teams:
    P6QSJR6.png
    2KHzlzs.png

I would really like to hear some suggestions for the blue tank. We can't seem to agree on what would look best for it. I personally like how it looks right now, but my buddy's concern is that it has a lot of non-team-colour-based details on it (the treads on the sides).
    Any suggestions are more than welcome. :)
  • killazzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved Advance Wars, one of my all time favorite Handheld games, progress is looking good so far, with current gen tech however I feel like you might be able to get away with making more things detailed. As far as style between different teams/colors, you may want to explore different tech differences, or perhaps different species/civilizations all together, that way you can get some consistent variations across all unit types. Be it, soft edged, angular, sharp and pointy, evil, good etc...
    But approaching it that way would keep all the different unit types of one team consistent and similar. Hope that helps!
    Subbed.
    P.S. I'd be super interested in helping out just to participate =). And also, it might be good to post the ideas behind gameplay/mechanics to make this similar but also different than advance wars.
    -Kyle
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Killazzz!
    We thought about going with different styles of units for each nation, but in the end we decided it would be better to have the shape and silhouette of each unit be the same across them all for ease of identification. We decided to use textures to differentiate and enforce a theme pertaining to each nation instead.
    As for going higher detailed, we're both fans of low poly stuff so it was a conscious decision to go with lower res models and textures :P

Your suggestion for different tech across nations is interesting and perhaps we can find a way to incorporate that somehow.

As for mechanics, nothing is set in stone at the moment, however we do want it to be very chess-like, similar to what made Advance Wars so great.
  • danieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danieru polycounter lvl 5
    Hey everyone, I'm Daniel the programmer Uberren teamed up with.

Today I got his units ingame:
    J6Br3Hj.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Advance wars was such a sick game, can't wait to see how this turns out :)
  • killazzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well those mechanics are what made Advance Wars great! So thats a good start =)
    Keep at it!
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,
    I redid the blue tank since I thought danieru was right and there was a bit too much non-team-colour based details on it. I decided to go with a more lobstered/scalloped armour.
    I think it fits in much better now.
    gHomU1J.png
    It also makes it easier to transfer that kind of detail between units to achieve a more cohesive look to them all.

And I finished the fighter planes last night. :thumbup:
    rq8Gbz5.png

Please let me know what you think :)
    ldLPQRF.png
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all :)

This week I made some infantry for each country.
    8NbyvMh.png

Each country has its own helmet and backpack :)
    yg5X541.png

Danieru implemented colour changes to capture-able buildings and we would like to know if the colours are too dark on them at the moment. We're worried if we make them brighter, they may draw attention away from the units on the maps.

Any thoughts?
    IWSLmlh.png
    p5W0XAk.png
    C7q9GG0.png
    tXirqbz.png
  • mjeruzal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mjeruzal polycounter lvl 5
    The only thing I would change is to darken the ambient occlusion on buildings - they need something to highlight their shapes, now they're looking preety faintly.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi mjeruzal,

Thanks for the feedback!
    I suppose you are right. The AO is not very obvious at all in its current state.
    I increased the strength so it would become more noticeable when a building is captured. Only problem is now, uncaptured buildings have extremely dark shadows on them (due to how the shader applies the colours. We'll figure something out though.

UR9X0E3.png
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks TeriyakiStyle :D

2osSQ0x.png
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,

I managed to do quite a lot this week. :)

I made some coat of arms / ensigns for each of the countries of the game:
    rEEKbW6.png
    Azure Isles

UDXFlsC.png
    Lumos Alliance

SNFv5Yz.png
    Lavender Lands

0zKbfPo.png
    Rose Republic

I also finished my favourite looking unit so far:
    eWYcCjg.png
    Battleships :)

Along with the heavy tanks:
    yAoKKI8.png

Feedback is very welcome.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Nice stuff, dudes! This is looking cool so far. I'm also a huge fan of the Advance Wars series, so it's always nice to see games in that vein.

As far as feedback goes I've got a couple of suggestions. I hope you guys don't mind that I did a couple of quick, crude paintovers, but I thought it might be clearer than trying to describe it with words alone:

IRXPNdz.jpg

kvqRtK5.jpg

First, I agree with TeriyakiStyle about adding a more distinct light direction to the textures, but I also think it'd help to do this with the unit textures, too. I think it'd really help describe the forms of the units and help tell them apart.

Another big thing that stands out to me are your color tones and saturation levels. One thing I think Advance Wars did really well, which might go unnoticed by some, is that they did an amazing job of subtly separating the units from the background and making it easy to tell where your units are at a glance. I think this was achieved by (1) giving the units higher contrast than the backgrounds, and (2) pushing the colors of the environment assets in one direction to unify them. In the second image I took your screen shot as is (top), then modified it by making some adjustments to the background elements (bottom). Along with adjusting the color palette, I also added a couple things you might consider to help make your units pop:
    • Drop shadows beneath units
    • A dark outline around units
    • A more distinct light source from overhead (as mentioned before)

Anyway, hope that was at all helpful. As I said, this is lookin cool. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.
  • Sanislov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanislov polycounter lvl 9
    Nice looking:) Maybe you can add some gradient on the buildings. These can be darker near to the ground. Like some fake AO.
    I miss some shadows under the tress too.
    Keep it up!:)
  • danieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @klamp: Wow! Thank you for the paintovers! I like how the terrain contrasts with the units.

I'm just the programmer so Uberren gets the final say but I'd like to implement your ideas. I was planning to implement some drop shadows but my plan so was to use a pretty complex method. I think I should be able to get away with a simpler drop shadow texture below units. Likewise I can add a dark outline as well.

I may also add back in the skybox earlier versions had, this time I'll use a gradient like your paintover.

@Sanislov: Good idea for the trees. Right now I have the code randomly placing a trees to form a forest. It should be possible to add a shadow in the model and get shadowing while keeping the procedural placement. I'll ask Uberren about it.
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    I love the style so much, this makes me feel like a little kid! Good work!
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @klamp
    Thank you so much for the paint overs :D

For the lighting on the units, I am constrained by 128x128 texture resolutions, however I believe I can get something similar to the effect in the paint over you provided.
    Got a lot of tweaking to do now :)

Also, I love the change you suggested to the environment textures. It really ties the room together.
    I felt something was a bit off but seeing the solution laid out like that really helped.

And yeah, like danieru said, we were planning on implementing drop shadows and the like but hadn't gotten around to it yet.
  • mister_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking good.

I read the title as Super Battletoads, though, and I can't help but be a little disappointed.
  • danieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry Mister_s! Can we make up for it with a super difficult skirmish mission?
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    Also the edges of the ground is too square, i think the edges should taper off a bit.

Looking so good, huuuuge Advance Wars fan despite being terrible at it haha.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks CactusFantastico :)
    I think having rounded off edges on the corners of the map would be nice. We'll probably leave some of that polishing off until after all the units are finished. Also, if danieru is up to it :P

We have a website now if anyone is interested :)
    http://superbattlelands.com/

Here's what I made this week for the unit line up:
    y14cz5d.png

3RADsSr.png

I also went back through all of the old unit textures and updated them to have better lighting info.
    Made a gif for a couple of them:
    EIEsAAx.gif
    sprozvR.gif

Along with that, I changed all the previous terrain textures we had and lightened them up and added a reddish tint to them, similar to Klamp's paintover :)
    y1RVIGt.png

We also have the basic workings of an outline going for our units as well. As you can see, there are some rendering issues when units overlap with each other and some of the terrain. Hopefully nothing impossible to fix though.
    EQ5oU6B.png
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,

Sorry for the silence.
    I finished off the rest of the seaborne units and an attack helicopter :)
    We also spent a lot of time figuring out what to do about the logo.

Well, here are the ships.

The cruiser. It's a seaborne, anti-aircraft and anti-submarine unit:
    ohYebDe.png

The submarine is an anti-ship unit. We decided we are going to add fuel to the game, so the for the submarine, it would consume more when it submerges, like in Advance Wars:
    YWsKk1d.png
    5YzSmXY.png

Aaaaand the attack helicopter:
    BYztKlZ.png

Going to work on transport/resupply vehicles next. One for ground, air, and sea. :)
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since I last posted an update. :(

We have been chugging along but I just hadn't gotten around to posting to Polycount. Here's a quick run down of what's been added.

First, we updated the cliff tiles so as to not be so harsh and blocky. I also went back through the textures and painted in lighting detail and created custom forest tiles (previously, the tree placements were randomly generated):

o9kNDtU.png

Danieru also put together a shader for the shoreline animations, while I made some animated tiles for the ocean (sorry for the poor gif quality, a lot of the colour from the ocean got compressed out):

ssO0mn8.gif
    FnxWZft.gif

Along with the map updates, we began working on battle screen units (close up versions of the units that will appear on a new screen when units fight each other).
    My original attempt at making the battle screen tanks was rather poor, and we decided to scrap them and start over.

Here's what my original attempt at the tanks looked like:

tR4bzWg.png
    wv053xr.png

Very poor quality, it's a bit embarassing :(
    Here's the updated version of those tanks, with higher polycounts:

pJpfdjf.png
    cmnhTty.png

And here are the battle screen fighter planes I completed last night:

CqzaGpN.png

So that's how it's looking so far.
    We're in the process of making some new tiles to break up the grass everywhere along with explosions after units get destroyed.

All units also have idle animations on the map now.

Lots of AI improvements as well + the addition of basic sound effects. It's actually possible to play a decent match now (although there are still some bugs). :)

wmLPhV2.png

Any crits are always super welcome.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP for the farm tiles. Going to start on the textures tomorrow.
    hm78YCM.png
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    gorgeous as ever, sub'd, I must see how this story ends!
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Well here is where the texture is at now, but we're not very happy with it so I will be redoing it:

LuQcr43.png

Any suggestions for how to improve it would be appreciated.
    I plan on adding some AO, first of all.
    Here's a different layout I might try, for example:

mu454VF.png
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Third attempt at farm tiles.
    I got rid of the ugly green fields and replaced the pumpkins with bales of hay.
    The houses have also been changed to a grain elevator, which will be a semi-rare tile that will appear when there is a large cluster of farm tiles together.

I also made the elevator much smaller in comparison to capturable structures to, hopefully, not confuse people into thinking it's a capturable thing with a purpose.
    9HQPnQq.png

I quite liked those houses so hopefully they'll find a use later on...
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmmm, I like the fields exept the hay bales one, I think its the ground texture there. possibly make it different, idk maybe like this.
    07_50_32_web.jpg

or perhaps a bit more realistic where the bales are a bit less organized.

Round_straw_bales_in_a_field.jpg

I think a more gold coloured ground with lines where it was cut would be a bit better imo.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Bonkahe,

Thanks for the crits!
    The references I was looking at had the bales of hay all facing the same direction as if they were all rolling down a hill. I do like the more disorganised look though.

I see your point with the texture under the bales being just the default grass texture, I'll make some adjustments :)
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the texture around a bit and turned the bales of hay to give more variation:
    KeeMcWP.png
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final update to the farm tiles. Just got rid of the grass underneath them and lowered the polycount overall. I also upped the polies in the bales of hay so they didn't look so ugly.

In game, there were too many dark dirt tiles being generated so I changed the dirt around the grain elevator to wheat to lighten up farm areas more.
    2vuZdpG.png
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks stellar man, can't wait to see them inter mixed with the other game tiles.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bonkahe. I wanted to get a screenshot of them in game for you but we still haven't implemented them properly yet, we've been touching up parts of the terrain such as raising the height of the ground above sea level, lowering the height of the cities, and adding in more cliff tiles. So a lot of the terrain is broken until that's all put in correctly @_@

Here's a screenshot of a map with some of those changes:
    YSA3ZeQ.jpg

And here's a long ranged, anti-air unit I created:
    hNFRvJE.png
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on some changes to the terrain, no screenshots to show at the moment but I worked on the battle cinematic heavy tanks.
    wn4uqT6.png
  • OFPismySOP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OFPismySOP polycounter lvl 6
    This brings me right back to high school. Can't wait to see it finished.