Home Technical Talk

Can I get some 3ds max to Modo tips?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Axi5 interpolator
I'm loving Modo so far but I'm so used to Max that even performing basic operations in Modo is alien to me. I foolishly thought that knowing a bit of Max, Maya and Zbrush would translate well into Modo but I'm already learning how different this software is.

I've got a couple of questions I couldn't find answers to, really basic stuff.

Is there any way to reset spinner values quickly like in 3ds Max? Remembering the default value isn't taxing I'm just lazy.

I̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶y̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶o̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶s̶w̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶q̶u̶e̶s̶t̶i̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶v̶i̶e̶w̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶"̶o̶"̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶i̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶F̶4̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶M̶a̶x̶. edit: Keyboard Shortcuts page solved this woo (:

If I'm using any modelling tool e.g. Bevel. When I'm clicking in the viewport is that making the tool become properly active? or am I actually using the tool very briefly? I don't get the axis/handles/gizmo appearing on my model until after I've clicked but I'm not sure if I've already created geometry when I do that.

This last question may provoke a long winded answer that may not be completely necessary as I can learn it as I go along but just in case someone feels like tackling it briefly:
Coming from 3DS Max, I'm used to channel data hidden away and other mesh options hidden around in modifiers, Modo however seems to have all the technical details up front in the item properties on the right. Is there a simple approach to learning how Modo links all it's components together to present you with the mesh? I.e. Does the Lists tab have a strong relationship with the Channels? Should I not really be poking in there unless I know what I'm doing? (which I hope to know someday but I'll bite off a little each day).

Replies

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    I am actually switching to modo from blender right now!
    And wow. Switching modeling apps is freaking hard!
    (Also keep getting a crashing problem when I was trying to retopo something. Gr.)

I would love some tips for switching modeling apps, or just in modo in general (IE Something you found out that changed your life forever)
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Re: tools — most tools are by default click to activate. You can change tools to auto-activate though, so simply selecting the tool will make it active. This can be done from the tool pipeline, which by default layout is on the right hand side under the "lists" tab. That's also a good way to check what tools / constraints / action centers you have active. And protip about action centers, they have some default hotkeys — alt+z for element, alt+x for local, alt+s for selection, alt+w for origin... If you haven't seen it yet there's an excellent video by Seneca showing action centers in... action... that is a great visual guide. Here's a link.

Perhaps what you're also getting caught up on is what needs to be selected. In max iirc you have to make a selection to make a change. In modo, when nothing is selected, everything is 'selected' or 'active' So in edge mode, no edges selected, bevelling will bevel all edges.

Not sure what you mean about the spinners.

Item properties... you don't need to worry about much and it is all pretty straightforward. Channels you won't really need to touch. Most of the options there are for rendering. The lists tab however is quite useful. Lists contain the morph, uv, weight and other maps that your mesh item might have. Sometimes you'll have to go to lists to make sure your UV channel is active (or the correct uv channel is, if you have multiple). Lists also displays, as mentioned above, the currently active tools/constraints etc. Lists also has statistics that you can use to make selections. For example, say you want to find out if you have any n-gons on your mesh. An n-gon is a polygon make up of > 4 vertices. So we want to select polygons (expand the polygons tab). We want to select them based on vertices, so expand the vertices tab. Now you'll see we can select polygons by # of vertices and handily, it goes to 4 then >4. You can click the + or - next to any statistic to add or remove the matching pieces to/from your selection. You'll notice other handy selection methods like type (select only sub-d surfaces for example). So definitely play around in the lists tab. You might notice you can select by material and selection sets, which are handy when you have to make a tedious selection multiple times — better to make it once and save it than multiple times.

And on a more random note here's a cool youtube channel that has some great modo modelling videos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR6Gt2qRPRM"]Luxology modo - Modeling a UB32 Rocket Launcher (for hyraxist) - YouTube[/ame]

That has an example of selection sets being useful, as well as falloffs and arrays. Also check the link in my signature for a google doc of some general modo tips.
    Mr.Moose wrote: »
    (Also keep getting a crashing problem when I was trying to retopo something. Gr.)
    Welcome to modo. Autosave is found under System > Preferences > Defaults > Auto-Save.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Thanks a bunch Bek!
    I'll have a good play around with all the things you've mentioned after some sleep :)

Also, thanks for that Seneca video, I heard about Action Centers in the documentation and tried to fiddle with it but wasn't entirely sure what I was doing.

I've also been watching the Peter Stammbach tutorial for the spark plug to get started, but was going to switch to the UB32 when I'm done. I'm glad you recommend it as a resource :D

EDIT: Oh the bit about the spinners. I think they're called Channels in Modo? The input fields with the increment arrows on the right hand side. I worked out you can right click and remove edit to reset it to default value so it doesn't matter so much any more, not as quick as Max but not a big bother :)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Also if you hop into the modo steam edition chat channel, you can get some real time help from time to time, especially if the Foundry's Greg Brown is in the chat room (which is actually quite often).

http://steamcommunity.com/app/244290

It will all start to click with enough time, somethings are still a bit convoluted but theres a sense of hope that it kind of gets finetuned with future updates.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    One thing that I noticed regarding the retopology tools in Modo(particularly the Topology Pen) is that they don't work very well if your workplane is locked(Preferences>Work Plane>Lock Preferred Plane). I was experimenting working with the workplane locked and releasing it only when needed with shortcuts but it didnt work out very well for me.