Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chase's super duper environment.....with your help :D

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
I'm attempting my first scene. Wanted to tackle something I knew I could finish, but was still challenging. owabDrx.jpg

Replies

• genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Personally I would choose a different concept, especially if it's your first environment scene.

Anyway, your current proportions are pretty off. I'd personally start with an area like the door way because that's normally something tangible that gives a good sense of scale. Use your discretion for the scale with a piece like that, which will allow you to place a mock human ref in there to determine the rest of the scale (for handles, panels, etc.)

This scenes got lots of weird lighting/post effects so don't get distracted by those. Goodluck!
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    EDIT ( ups ) :D

yeah what genwu say`d:D

hey man, thats a nice concept, about the scale...you should place a biped and make the scaling around him....good luck with this :)
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I can see what you're saying about the shader and lighting stuff. I'm hoping I might get some help with that after everything else is done. I exported to UDK to get the scale of the glass case which I liked. Just can't get anything else to match it. I'll do the doorway and see if that helps. Is a character in UDK 128 UU? I thought it was 96, but the cylinder was much smaller in comparison. Thanks for the advice!
  • robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robochrish polycounter lvl 9
    Whenever I am blocking out a scene I usually have a box that is 96 generic units tall.
    This has worked fine for me in the past.
    I agree with Genwu to start with the doorway.
    This will definitely make it easier for you to get a sense of the scale overall.
    Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I wasn't aware that UDK's camera was on top of the player's head. That threw me off some. So when you see a 96 unit character in relation to the doorway in Max it looks rather large. In UDK it looks fine and much more to scale. I updated the block out image above for some feedback
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Updated block outs
    1MS2o2n.jpg
    iagPQWM.jpg
    iMvpCnP.jpg

HP cannister wip
    xxpnEAr.png
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Update:

Finally got a lot of baking done. Had some projection issues I haven't encountered before. Man I need to pick up the pace on this project. I haven't done lighting for a scene before so any recommendations would be great cause I'm not sure how to really duplicate the scene's lighting. And still need to make the lightmaps.

7FPma1s.png
    hvurRdH.png
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Diffuse work starting with the main building
    shVxnlD.png
    c1opk69.png
    Bq7OtCM.png
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Here's my massively overdue update. I've learned a lot about what it takes to pull off an entire scene. 5 months is waaaay too long for what I have to show. First scene though so I'll take my lumps. Still trying to figure out this whole lightmass thing. My renderings aren't coming out great at all. These are in game renderings, but with no updated lighting I've done. Here's my thread with the lighting issues

BElR1yM.png
    8Scwd3X.png
    x3Hy2Kj.png
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I disagree with the above. I commend you for stepping out of your comfort-zone and tackling something challenging. Go for it, what's the worst that can happen? In regards to the concept he can take it any way he pleases, he can change the lighting up, change up anything really, concepts aren't always meant to mimic completely but give ideas and a vision.

As for what you have you have right now it's some great progress. I'd say the fog is a bit odd and should either be toned down or taken out till later in the project. Also the lighting isn't really existent at all yet, even with the issues you've mentioned you've come across which I think is a good thing because once you get it down and fix it you will hopefully not reproduce it later on in other projects :) I would also add some visual interest from the ceiling like the horizontal supports and light sources. Looking forward to seeing this progress and good luck.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the speedy reply! I actually do have the ceiling in, you just can't see it due to the fog haha. I can tone that down for sure. I'd wholeheartedly agree about my lighting. I just have the dominant directional light, a point light and emissive lighting in the smaller structure. If I ever solve this light mass issue I'll be golden. So far a month in I haven't been able to :/ I agree I'll never repeat any previous mistakes :D I really appreciate the kind comments John!
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I like how it's shaping up now. I came across volumetric lighting today to implement some god rays.

HLZVFEQ.jpg

I need to texture the perimeter walls and columns. I'm also not a fan of the red grid table I have going on. Doesn't make my art side tingle ya know. Maybe some other hologram should go there cause you can't even tell it's a grid from this view. I'm thinking about post processing too. Any suggestions on what kind? First PP idea that comes to mind is small dust particles floating around. Any C&C much obliged :thumbup:

*Quick side note question: I used the pre-made water and light shaft materials because shaders and I are on a semi casual friendship. Is this something I should avoid and make my own? I know it's more impressive if I do and I learn more, yadda yadda haha. I feel like shaders are more tech art. Doesn't mean I don't want to learn.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Update
    2exbZUi.jpg

Did some more lighting adjustments, tinkering with some things like the hologram that will be in the lab above the table. Still gonna need to learn some post processing. C&C are very much encouraged!
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! The environment as a whole looks great! I think it could do with a little wear and tear as it all looks a bit too brand new.

I love the glowy stuff, and your foreground foliage is really nice and crisp.

Are you going to put any particle effects in there at all?
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you Wes! Ill look into adding more grime to my textures. I put some in but it must not be showing through. The foliage was brand new to me but I really like how my ivy turned out. Im gonna add steam above the test tubes and then do some particle stuff for the hologram in the lab. Im going to look up some post effects like dust particles. Im thinking changing the fog to just within the building cause you cant see the sky.