Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Commando

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Abidus polycounter lvl 10
Been working on this guy for about a week now. First time doing a hi-poly -> low-poly workflow, and I'm pretty happy with what I have so far.

Would love any C+C you guys would have for a mere mortal like myself.

Hi-poly
tSQUeQ3.png

Low-poly bake
PEDrMp6.png

WIP texture
zNhtjmV.png

Thanks for taking a look!

Replies

• MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    I think you jumped into texturing a bit soon. He still has that 'blobby' sculpted feel to him. I think you need to work on defining his muscles as mentioned above, but it's more but the same thing needs to be done about smaller details like his boots. They look blobby and undefined. I take it you made all of the details via sculpting?
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kinglucifer: Well, I didn't want him to look really jacked up, but instead look more like a guy who could run 30 miles with 50 pounds on his back (basically, what a soldier usually looks like).

@MattyWS: You are correct about most of the details being sculpted in. I am still pretty new to using zBrush and I'm having trouble making things come out looking nice and smooth instead of the "blobby" feel you mentioned. Previously someone told me that "blobbiness" was a result of going up in subdivisions too quickly, but I can't seem to shake it even if I take my time with it.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    It can be a result of subdividing too soon but do you use a mouse or a graphics tablet to sculpt?
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using a mouse at the moment.