Home Career & Education

How to start being a technical artist

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone,

I've been into the 3d world for about 2 years, while i was studying software engineering i wanted to be a 3d artist, so i've been trying to learn as much as i can about everything taht was new to me(3d modeling, sculpting, texturing, rigging, animation, a little of vfx) So i decided that the most area i like is to be a character artist.

The thing is, my career wants me to do the thesis with something related to software engineering. So i thought getting into technical art could be a good choise to expand my knownedge there.

The thing is, i don´t know where to start, i have a solid foundation in programming, c++, c#, java, databases, etc etc. But i don't know what does a technical artist really does and what do i need to learn in order to reach my goal(which i don't know yet) My idea is to optimize proccess, like automatic rigs or i really don't know.

i wanted to renew my digital tutors subscription but i really can´t find anything related to technical art. I also have unreal engine and maybe i can do something with materials.

I saw this guy in Eat3d called Jeremy Baldwind and saw his portfolio and i think is pretty good: http://www.jeremybaldwin3d.com/

The thing is i don´t know where to start, i already know how to program but nothing else.

tl-dr: I need some advice to be a good technical artist but i dont know where to start learning, i already know how to program.

Replies

• marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Yeah it's pretty difficult, especially as the actual job description for a "Technical Artist" can vary wildly from one company to another. Most of the TA's I know accidentally found themselves in that role after originally starting out doing something else.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I always thought a TA was someone who wrote coding for tools, or possibly might branch into rigging
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Same in all situations I have seen it kind of sort of happens while your in the company. atm I am in an odd betweener spot not sure where that will lead, but it is fun so far :)

Technical artist usually happens when you start to create or help out on new workflows. Also when you are providing tools for programs. So having some scripting or programming knowledge does help.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    What they do is different in a lot of studios, can work on tools, and shaders and generally workflow tech. Sometimes they work mostly on rigging tools. Quite often they are the layer in-between the game programmers and the artist.(Arts speak to codes speak translator)

In a lot of places i seen the more technically inclined artists get put in that role, but if your trying to target that role. I would recommend you get to know the in and outs of how your 3d package works on a low level, as well as your game engine. You should also learn Python and maybe C++ or C#.

Maxscript could be usefull if your in a max heavy studio but overall python will be the most useful language too you since Maya, Modo, nuke, Photoshop(with a little hackery), and Houdini all use Python.

Also learn perforce and possibly git and their apis.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I already know c++ and c#(like 3 years for c++ and just about 6 months learning c#), but not phyton. The thing is i have 2 years and i really don't want to be a technical artist but i want to do something usefull instead of doing systems and websites on the university. The game engine i mostly use is unreal engine 4 and used UDK for about 2 years. My knowedge in materials and shaders in UE4/UDk is pretty basic (know the basic nodes and add some detail there but never made complex shaders like oceans or things like that like cave effects demo).

If you guys would like to learn some technical art in 2 years that will be something the helps you to grow as an artist to improve/speed up your workflow, what would you do in that situation?
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    (Also in the VFX industry a TA is usually a rigger, not sure why the term is so different between vfx but could be due to I think the difference is TA is technical animator vs technical artist both being "TA")

The thing with the Technical Artist position is that it means different things from TA to TA in one company and can be drastically different in other companies. So it is really hard to narrow it down or even apply to it or even hire.

The only thing I would say is common as a Technical Artist position in general is a helper and communicator from artist to programmers. This position requires a person who can keep cool with not getting quick results done since your longer term goals can span to be like a year later. In some sense you are ahead of workflows and in between that helping with current issues going on in the studio. Some studios will require your time to analyze sections of the game to help out artist to optimize the scenes or assets. So knowing the inner workings of the engine at company will help and also using creative problem solving sometimes something not overall technical or complex will solve the issue and these are the situations you might even be threading old technology to make something work.

These are kind of common traits.
    1. Problem solver
    2. Art and programmer
    3. Communicator
    4. Documentation

googled this video below...

http://www.howcast.com/videos/500613-What-Is-a-Technical-Artist-Video-Game-Careers
  • Bruno Afonseca
    The way I see a TA is someone who has technical solutions for artistic problems and also someone who bridges art and programming, being central to the pipeline.

But each project/platform/team has specific needs, so there's no recipe for one. But if you need something to dip your toes, you could try maxscript, HLSL etc.

Have you read the polycount wiki? You need to know that by heart. ALL OF IT!
  • Meatplowz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone on here has pretty much touched on what a technical artist does or can do. In our studio it definitely runs the gamut and our backgrounds vary from previously being artists to directly out of school programmers. I'd say understanding everything from tools to pipeline and game engines such as UDK are all very important. The ability to program or do scripting in all the DCC applications is hugely important. 3D math and writing materials all very useful. Depending on your focus not all is necessary but all very good to know. As far as training goes there are a handful of resources that can help you get an understanding of what it may take to become a technical artist.

Rigging Dojo
    http://www.riggingdojo.com/
    Tons of pros and courses may be tailored to what you are interested in learning.

Allan McKay's Well Known VFX artist
    http://www.tdtransformation.com/sp/27351-technical-director-transformation

Tech-Artists.org
    Website dedicated specifically to technical artists.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so...based on what you guys said: the main focus is to create/speed up workflows so the artists don't have any technical issues and only focus on creating art rather than fixing something or do repetitive work, am i correct?

I'm more of a Maya guy when creating animations and rigging and only use Max for modeling. But the course about Allaan McKay seems to be really awesome. But if i'm not wrong it's only using Maxscript. The price is pretty affordable tho, i might wait to the next session to take the class.

Eric: Thanks, just found this post entering there: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68788
    Going to look at it to get an idea of what kind of project i'll do.

What worries me now is to pick that project (i'm obligated to do finish it in 2 years) because based on what you guys said, TA works on something specifically. Thinking about Unreal Engine, Max, Maya, what ideas do you have that really would help you significantly?

For now i think i'll start to learn Maxscript and python. After that i'll have a better understanding of what i can build and share with you :)
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Max has Python too now, so basically you can code both in Maya and Max using Python, which is nice.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 wrote: »
    Max has Python too now, so basically you can code both in Maya and Max using Python, which is nice.

Both of them have command ports as well, so it is actully possible to setup code that can run on both.
  • elGuapo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work as a technical director in the movie industry. Based on your skill set, this might be another option for you. As mentioned above, a position like this requires you to support artists by creating and updating tools that make their lives easier. You will also work on the pipeline that the studio uses, in order to make it more efficient and more bullet proof. And you will frequently be quizzed to see if something is possible and how long it would take to get that something working.

Ironically, being a rockstar programmer is not really that important. You need to work great under pressure, you can't be afraid to take risks, you need a natural curiosity about things, you can't be temperamental, and you need to work well with artists. In a td role (in the movie industry) you can expect some pretty important people to show up at your desk needing stuff working asap. You will also have long term development projects to keep you busy when there is not mass panic. Solid programming is your best friend. It doesn't need to be fancy, but you need to be able to write good code You also need to be able to understand other people's code (though sometimes you will just shake your head and wonder what they were thinking). You also need to be good at tracking down bugs. Oh, and patience, you need lots of patience.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elGuapo: I think i know what you mean having patience: solving bugs, trying to find new solutions, read other's persons code(i feel your pain), etc.

But as you say, it surprises me that you don't need as much programming knownedge as many people may think. I believe is more oriented to good coding practices, conventions and scalable code. Having that trade off, what other skills you need apart from programming? I believe is good knownedge of everything around 3d world(types of maps, lights, rigging tools, animation workflows, etc) I have a high level understanding of those, will that be enough?

Would you mind sharing what kind of works people ask you to implement? Maybe the most common ones.

passerby and unit187: Thats nice to know i might better get deeper into phython than Maxscript if that's the case.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I've been kind of curious about it too. I am big on the technical stuff for art and understanding how things work, as well as testing new workflows and whatnot, but when it comes to coding, I have little to no experience or desire to learn. I'd like to learn basic stuff for PS/Max/Maya/etc tools, but it seems like everything I need is out there... I'd learn how to rig if the job required it though.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, you answered your own question:

"The thing is i have 2 years and i really don't want to be a technical artist."

If you don't want to be one, you'll not be a good one.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Want to know what TA's do? Go and read some job descriptions for studios that are looking to hire. There is a wide range of skills required; some studios want someone to write exporters and some studios just want someone that can rig an AK47. It's very much dependent on the studio environment and history.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart wrote: »
    The thing is i have 2 years and i really don't want to be a technical artist

This is really confusing me, if you don't want to be a TA why does this topic exist? Not like your being pushed into the job.

Since you pretty much have to apply for it or be pushed towards that role within the studio because you are a more technically minded artist who can create his own tools.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the OP is merely writing a thesis paper on TA, not looking to become one.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, like i said. I love 3d and i shouldn't be studying software engineering (but i have no choise, if i had i would have left already). But, like i said, the university obligates me to finish a project from something realated with software/coding, etc.

I don't want to waste my time doing systems in ASP .NET, Java, testing code, for something i won't use in my life ever. Like i said, i wanted to be a character artist, but if i have the choise to make something useful to me like learn what a technical artist does because, in the end i don't want to be a technical artist but i know it will help me somehow. Atleast more than make apps for the Appstore.

I don't want to work as a TA, but know it enough so it can help me. And if i have 2 years to do it, then i'll do the best i can do learn. After that, we will know what happens if i continue to do it sometimes because i liked it or if i never touch it again(i don't think i will, because i know it can help). But for me that's a better option than doing apps and systems for companies like banks. I hope you get my point, i know it's kind of an unusual case.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I'm a TA and I'm studying software engineering, simply because when you move beyond workflow tools into actual pipeline development, understanding good software architecture and design becomes really important. You want to think about re-use, organization of your studio tools and the code base behind it. How to keep it maintainable and easily deployable. To do this you need to know SE practices. If you're leading a team of TAs then you should also know some basic project management and development methodologies. Stuff like configuration management is also something you're exposed to constantly - this doesn't stop with P4. Take a look at Shotgun! good QA/QC practices also become more and more important for art production - i.e. how can tools help, which processes can be implemented in your shop that prevent errors, rather than just reacting to them (e.g. when the asset is already finished)?

Try to not look at what a single TA does. Look at a whole team, dealing with many tools and a pipeline and the complexity in that. Look at the studio and its processes as a whole to understand how SE practices fit into tools and pipeline development. Try to identify processes, rather than tools. The best tools won't help a shop if their production process is crap. Work on the process, then think how to augment it by adding/developing tools.

If you're looking for books, check out Rene Dunlop's Production Pipeline Fundamentals. Even though it's weak on references, the connections to software engineering knowledge areas should be very soon very obvious when you read it. (also there's many references to actual art production).

http://christianakesson.com/ has some good articles about production pipelines. Rob Galanakis, who worked for CCP and Bioware also have a very good blog where he discusses issues like Agile, TDD, Python and tools development: http://www.robg3d.com/. tech-artists.org is also a good source for knowledge. And for more practical approaches, the Polycount wiki is great!

Another interesting area to look into is procedural content. How can you fit tools like Substance or Houdini into your pipeline? Modular pipelines and service based architecture tools or pipelines could also be an interesting topic for research.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm: Thanks for the info, never thought about procedural concent. I'm reading the Christian Akesson page and i found this(not hard to find tho) http://christianakesson.com/2012/218

When i saw it i was like "holy crap" this is insane amount of work and really. I might apply something like this but for smaller/indie companies. I live in Peru (South America) and the industry of games and films is just starting out. The companies here aren't as much organized than many others in another country. Integration and having a good pipeline is key to succeed when your company is getting bigger.

I will ask about this topic to the comittee if they can approve it. I'll investigate more about it to go with information to show them if they think this topic is irrelevant.
  • jayW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jayW null
    Hey Finalhart, as others have stated a technical artist is someone who bridges art and programming. So when it comes to what technical artists may do, all you have to do is ask yourself what aspects of a pipeline may benefit the most from a script or tool. Rigging is a great example as the majority of it is repetitive and very time consuming, but to be able to write a script to automate that you will also need to know how to rig fairly well. :) hope this helps