Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creature Head

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Leinad polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, so I started a simple head study to get used to PBR rendering. I am at a point where I wanted to share what I have so far to see if there are any glaring issues that I should focus on.

This is a marmoset 2 screengrab.

demon_head.jpg

Replies

• SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Leinad wrote: »
    Hey guys, so I started a simple head study to get used to PBR rendering. I am at a point where I wanted to share what I have so far to see if there are any glaring issues that I should focus on.

This is a marmoset 2 screengrab.

demon_head.jpg

God, thats creepy as balls. I love it.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I am glad you like it. I'll be posting the wires and zbrush sculpt soon.

With this small project I wanted to concentrate on the quality, making sure the detail level was better than what I've done in the past. I've been told that a lot of my work looks "student quality" and one goal right now is to replace all of that with stuff that does not.
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    the overall skin tone feels flat though. like there isnt much color variation
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I've spent a bit of time messing around with some skin color variation. Here is what I have so far. I've also added the wires.

ColorView.jpg

WireView.jpg
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    Looks really nice. The silhouette of the top of the head looks jaggy. Try to "soften" the silhouette. If you know what I mean, English is not my birth language.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Originally it didn't bother me too much till you pointed it out. But it looks much better now, thanks for the input :)!

Color.jpg

Wire.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got around to creating a neat information sheet on the breakdown of the model. Here it is. I've also started a new creature sculpt, I am still trying to improve the overall design of the new concept design. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

InfoSheet.jpg

delete.jpg
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    What a creepy smile :D

In my opinion, his teeth could be more shiny like a wet material.
    You can also pimp your skin texture with darker and brighter areas for the face, to bring more depth in it.
    A few visible veins and wrinkles around the eyes and neck, would look him more realistic.

keep it up :thumbup:
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Loving this second one
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, yea there is always room for improvement. I will revisit some adjustments later to see if I can get it looking better.

This second creature has some challenging design aspects to it in regards to the material sculpting so this one should take a bit more time to nail down the sculpt. I wanted it to be a mix of flesh and nature (wood bark) that merge with one another.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made some progress on the new creature. I should be moving on to the low poly mesh soon. It may be a nightmare to retopologize.

I'd love to hear what you guys think so far about any of the images I've posted.

delete.jpg
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Nice progress man, on this last one I prefered the more hand-sculpted wood than this, at least now it looks noisy maybe you have a better vision of the final product you want.
    If you want the more realistic approach I would create some difference in texture values to make it less uniform.
    Also the eye could use some more natural border.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Firith for the feedback. You're the second person to point that the first sculpt is preferred. My main concern right now is figuring out why. What is it about the 2nd version that needs to be changed to improve on the design.

I really wanted to make sure the wood looks like wood so I used scanned data. Wood is extremely noisy, but I think a lot of the form may have been lost so that is an area I am going to see if I can improve upon.