Home General Discussion

Choosing a GPU

Hope this is the right place to post :) I need help choosing a Graphics Card :thumbup:

So i'm in the process of building my second computer, my first one i built about 8 years ago, and I never really used it as a home work station. More or less just to goof around and watch movies on. For art though, I've always had to rely mostly on school and work hardware, which limitates me.

I want to build a computer that can sustain my needs for a few years to come, I'm not trying to "futureproof" and i'm also not interested in overclocking with this computer as it's what i'm relying on to push my career forward.

So this is what I want to do:

1. Smoothly, quickly and efficiently be able to run/compile/build art/code in game engines like cry, udk, etc.
2. Multi-task software efficiently such as UDK, Photoshop, and Max, or Max/Zbrush.
3. To play games, such as Crysis, Battlefield, and such at a high res, on high-max settings with a good fps.

Those are my big three. So let me show you what I have lined up so far as I do some shopping, SHOP WITH ME POLYCOUNT :)

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W

MOBO - ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CASE - CM Storm Stryker - White Full Tower Gaming Computer Case with Handle and External 2.5" Drive Dock

RAM - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

GPU - ??? GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-4GD GeForce GTX 770 4GB 256-Bit ???

HardDrives - Still shopping for deals.

Optical Drive - I have a good spare.

Power Supply - still shopping.

Extra Fans/Heatsink/Other - ??? Recommendations ???

I'm just asking around wherever I could about GPU because it's really the only part i'm struggling with. I want to make good graphics, and see good graphics, so i know i need a good one, I'm just wondering how good, and what exactly good is. I've taken a good look at how www.anandtech.com benchmarks cards on price/performance but I still don't know how to utilize that info.

I'm willing to shell out the money for a $300-400 card, but why waste, cause I would preferably not? When I'm %60 sure I could go with less. If putting the money out there will benefit me in the short term and longish term, then i'm game, but could something yeild me the same performance for cheaper? For instance would using 2x (cheaper graphics card) yeild me the same graphical performance as using a single high end card? Or would upgrading my CPU over my GPU be more constructive, or am i just reaching a bottleneck here and should I go the same quality for both, high end, mid range?

Any recommendations in GPU would be great, what do you use? Also any feedback on any other building tips, performance tips, etc. I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

Replies