Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mauser C96 Pistol

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
Nam.Nguyen wrote: »
Update : today I redo all the texture from scratch, this time I use metalness workflow. Hand painted everything is a pain in the ass, but in the end of the day, it's paid off.
Still not reach the level that I want, but I call it done for now

hA9iGCG.jpg

test in some different light conditions

NOmmoE2.jpg

Old stuff :

Hello everyone

I made this pistol for practice, and improve my workflow, any critique is welcome.

I have a small question, if it was you, how long does it take for you to finish this pistol? Basically, I just want to make sure that I'm not working too slow

5.6k Tris, 2k Texture

P2FzQtB.jpg

LP + Normal map

cEvpWpR.jpg

JJFGjim.jpg

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    For time it varies wildly. If this was a first person weapon then you are probably looking at 7-10 full working days from start to finish.

With that said, the metal on these were heavily worked, and have tons of interesting detail that you can add to the normal map.

ZOOM in to see the surface details.
    x1EHPc3.jpg
    dsc_2559.jpg

Also, be careful about those bright white marks on your diffuse. Most details like that in metal appears below the top layer surface, and is usually dark-ish on the diffuse but brighter in the spec/reflection. This will also make it look great in motion.
  • Odeca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odeca polycounter lvl 3
    I actually dig it! The bake came out pretty damn good :D
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Very well done! Great modeling here with some good attention to the details.. Also textures are good as well. I wish i could see some texture flats though that would be cool
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work, looking great!

For time, we would probably have around 6-7 days for a FPS handgun. On the other hand, this is a relatively easy gun to make, so perhaps 5.
    How much time did you spent?
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Quack! : Thank very much for the crits,I agreed that it need more interesting details, actually I'm not quite happy with the result, but I set for myself a deadline, so I have to finish it.
    Anyway, I probably gonna redo the textures soon, and post it in this thread.

@Grungy : here is the texture flats

Albedo/Spec/Rough
    WyTaHMW.jpg

@Spoon : 6-7 days for me, ( this include 2 texture version, some struggle ). I learned a lot through this, so next time it'll probably faster.

here is another version I made earlier

wz7cbkH.jpg
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having all that AO/light info in the Albedo probably shouldnt be there (at least thats what it looks like it is). I could tell before I even looked at your texture flats that there was something funky going on in those areas. Looks like that is missing in your older version, and I think that reads a little better overall.

I think the general variation/smearing thats happening on the flatter metal surfaces is a bit too contrasted, maybe tone that down a bit.

Same with the scratches, maybe they could be a bit more subtle.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol wrote: »
    Having all that AO/light info in the Albedo probably shouldnt be there (at least thats what it looks like it is). I could tell before I even looked at your texture flats that there was something funky going on in those areas. Looks like that is missing in your older version, and I think that reads a little better overall.

I think the general variation/smearing thats happening on the flatter metal surfaces is a bit too contrasted, maybe tone that down a bit.

Same with the scratches, maybe they could be a bit more subtle.

I've read some tutorial about PBR, basically they said no "light information "in Albedo map. in my flats, the dark area represent dirt, and the light area is worn surface.

Anyway, I'm just explain my ideas behind it, you're right something funky going on here, and I'll try to fix it. Thank very much for you critique
  • Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    look good men ! Nice work
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work.

However I agree with gsokol in regards to materials, they could use some work.

Even if the light spots are edge wear they would still be incorrect on the albiedo.

The surface your shooting for seams to be a raw metal with a metallic coating or some kind of finish. So you're basically starting with one type of metal or metallic finish on the top layer, and scraping into a different quality of metal. Both of these metals will have different properties, but the albiedo for both will still be dark, as they are still both metals.

To represent this in a map I would make the main gun metal a dark grey (similar to what you have now) and make the scraped areas black, or very dark gray. Then create separation in your reflectivity and roughness map. Make the main gun metal less reflective and less glossy, and the scraped metal more reflective and glossier.

materialref01.png

Take these materials for example. If I was blending from a gold to a rough steel, the albiedo would undergo a slight shift, but the main difference is the quality of light reflected from the surface (reflection color/intensity/gloss)

As for the dusty areas being black in the albiedo (or so it seems): Notice in this PBR table how the albiedo for rock, dirt, Coal, plaster, etc. are all lighter values. Closer to a middle gray, and they have more saturation to them. This is because when light hits these materials less of it actually bounces off and the light that does will not change in color. So all the color information needs to come from the albiedo and the value of non metals are typically lighter than that of metal.

I would personally bring a little more action into the wood via reflectivity and roughness. Quacks first example is a nice wood IMO. Maybe a slightly dark albiedo for it as well.

Overall I think the this awesome! Just some map value/hue tweaks to bring it to a more realistic level :thumbup:

Edit: And yeah. I can't fucking spell ableidbololol.

and disregard whatever Per is about to post. He's drunk again.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update : today I redo all the texture from scratch, this time I use metalness workflow. Hand painted everything is a pain in the ass, but in the end of the day, it's paid off.
    Still not reach the level that I want, but I call it done for now

Images in #1