Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio layout test

Boozebeard
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
Can I get some feedback on the design of my portfolio site please? (content is place holder obviously)

www.jamiephipps.co.uk

Replies

• jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Overall layout looks good, but I think you have too much screen space for the header. Not necessarily the header itself, but I don't see a need for the negative space around it. Thumbnails should pop nicely once you have finished pieces/color on 'em.

Minor gripe, but I'd like a button to get back to the main page once I've scrolled to the bottom of a project page.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep that in mind.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the header, I'd include a title (e.g. "Character Artist") in a smaller font below your name/ I'd also move the buttons to their own line immediately beneath the title banner, and eliminate the blank space between the selected menu item and the highlighting line. Your e-mail link would be more noticeable if it included the actual address; it also shouldn't be on its own line at the top; more typically, it's placed to the far right of the name.

The white text you've chosen for your name is very glaring, and the light blur around it makes it worse. Presentation is critical, so spend some time choosing harmonious colors for you backgrounds & text; it should be readable, but not blinding.

The white border around the gallery thumbnails is unnecessary.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You could place City/State and/or Contact number on the front page as well if you want to. Address is a good idea, though phone number is optional.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    You should make it possible to click the images for even bigger versions (don't use lightbox, just link directly to the images) and add a name/url to them as well. They are placeholders so names aren't that important yet I guess, but it's something to keep in mind. Other than that I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I really like it!
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    No real big crits. It's simple and to the point, which is good. I do agree with jStins about the negative space though. You have a <div id="banner-wrap"> which doesn't seem to be used at all and it just taking up space. You could prob get rid of it or make it's padding 0.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou for feedback. I didn't actually build the site from scratch, it's made with weebly so I'll see what I can do in terms of your crits. Thanks.