Home Technical Talk

Need Bake Hard surface tips

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Poinball polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys !

I made some test to bake a HR hard surface mesh on a low res.
I tried 3ds max, Xnormal and Handplane.

Here's the result :
balle.jpg

I want your expertise to help me in the right choice and the best way to do that kind of baking.

Thanks !

Replies

• s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    It depends a lot on what you're doing, and what your target engine is. My vote is max.

The less often you have to leave an app the less time you're going to waste with importing, exporting, cages, random app/mesh related issues etc.

That said, all tools have a place in the bag. Use handplane when you need a synced workflow. Maybe use xnormal when you have a high poly sculpt to bake instead of working in a bogged down scene in max.

I use max for everything. I rarely find that I need to sync my normals with Handplane, and don't see a point in bouncing out to xnromal to bake.

There really is no right answer. Use whatever suites your pipeline and your specific needs for the project.

• adib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to invert the green layer from Handplane. Some engines/renderers use different normal map systems than others.
  • Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    s6 wrote: »
    It depends a lot on what you're doing, and what your target engine is. My vote is max.

The less often you have to leave an app the less time you're going to waste with importing, exporting, cages, random app/mesh related issues etc.

That said, all tools have a place in the bag. Use handplane when need a synced workflow. Maybe use xnormal when you have a high poly sculpt to bake instead of working in a bogged down scene in max.

I use max for everything. I rarely find that I need to sync my normals with Handplane, and don't see a point in bouncing out to xnromal to bake.

There really is no right answer. Use whatever suites your pipeline and your specific needs for the project.

Thanks a lot ! Your answer will help me a lot :)