Home General Discussion

Corel Painter Modifications

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings and Salutations;

Before you ask me to google or "let me google it for you." I come here in peace and asking you guys to help out finding a proper guide or tutorials for Painter to; Modify the UI, brushes, template, etc. Working with default layout is really hard for me. If anyone know better, please direct. Thanks.

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember reading something about a Photoshop-like layout for Painter, maybe this is it?:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvPlWgCXI5U"]Photoshop User Workspace in Corel® Painter? 12 - YouTube[/ame]
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not entirely the thing I was looking for but thanks.

I was looking for people explaining their own ways of customizing the Painter. Like; How they did it for theirselves. If that makes any sense.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, that makes total sense, though personally I haven't ever seriously used Painter. I always found it's workflow to be very inefficient when compared to other apps like ArtRage and MyPaint. I guess that's the problem you're trying to solve atm... (sort of like customizing the hell out of Max or Maya in order to make it as efficient as Modo...).

Good luck, hopefully some Painter diehards will chime in.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly; Mainly the brush and color palette. I guess I'll just keep on looking and thanks again for that intro video lad. :)

I am not certain how many people use Corel Painter here on regular basis for concept arts but the reason I wanted to get in to painter was just that. Makes things alot easier once you get used to it. =\

EDIT: I think this might lead to a better end perhaps:

http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=800388&item=resource&listid=8800081
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you explain what exactly feels hard for you with painter?

it is a cute painting program, and I used to be a big fan of, but right now, it feels stuck in 2004, while photoshop has essentially picked up on all of painter's strong points, except for a few brush types that are more artsy than practical.
    even 3rd party color wheels for photoshop are currently superior to what corel has in their package.

one thing you absolutely will love about painter is creating custom palettes with all the brushes you use more or less frequently (shift+drag onto desktop);
    you can stack some of palettes to the edges of screen and use shift+tab to temporarily hide most of UI elements as well. (no real fullscreen, though.)
    this is what my brush panel currently looks like in painter 12/painter X3 (toying around with demo since upgrading my OS and am currently not impressed again)
    I can hide everything else and switch brushes while painting. very neat & undistracting to me.
    you can also add menu commands to the brush palettes, if you're less of a shortcut user, for example.

there might be a more or less major update coming to painter soon, but meanwhile, check out artrage, clip paint studio and krita if you want to try stuff out (krita feels overwhelming though)