Home General Discussion

Is it ever ok to say "I'll do anything to work for you!"

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
In a job interview with a company you love is it ok to say "I will do anything to work for you!" Sometimes I look at these studios I really want to work for and I go I will do anything to work for them. Would it be ok to tell them that at a job interview.

Replies

• katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    No. It's not o.k. Set some guidelines for yourself. If you are skilled and want to work for the company as a modeller for instance, why would you sweep floors for them?

Yes this is an extreme example.

Do what you do and work towards that goal.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I wouldn't. I think it's fine to be excited about a project or company but desperation is never a good thing. I've heard of artists getting rejected cuz they were overexcited. You always want to be professional...go ahead and be excited and enthusiastic but draw a line in the sand and don't cross it.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    Don't ! just don't.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Depends entirely on what Brewing company you're applying for :icon60:
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You don't want to sound desperate.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    More worrying that saying it is that attitude. I wonder why people get exploited.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    It's fine to be enthusiastic about a studio and to tell them that, but don't don't compromise your integrity. For you to get hired at a studio ( really anywhere) they have to need you not the other way around. If you really want to work at a certain studio that's great because you can tailor your portfolio towards them. Start analyzing the work they do and try to make work of the same quality and style.

Also as a side not make sure you aren't confusing being a fan of the game for wanting to do the same work as the studio. For example I am a fan of the zelda series that does not mean I want to make characters in the style that Nintendo does. Something to keep in mind as well when you work on a game you are often burnt out on it by the time it releases so keep that in mind if you are a huge fan of a game series.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    deohboeh wrote: »
    In a job interview with a company you love is it ok to say "I will do anything to work for you!" Sometimes I look at these studios I really want to work for and I go I will do anything to work for them. Would it be ok to tell them that at a job interview.

just make sure there's no black couch in the interview room when you say it.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I would not contract you.

1st. you are not a prostitute, nor a slave.
    2nd. What gets you into a company is not your attitude of fanboy or your pretty face... just what you can offer, in other terms, your work. Every company seeks PROFESSIONALS, not wannabes.

I have heard terrible things form interviews, but this... OMFG.

I assume very bad things with this thread, what's the point of creating this thread? are you desperated and want to be exploited at all costs?

Stupid threads like "your favorite color/food" etc may be tolerated in too many forums, but this one?! man... this is Polycount ¬¬

If you want to socialize go to the IRC channel or join the Steam group.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9

I don't understand. Could you explain in detail what this means?
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right I get it bad post! I wont say anything like this ever again! :D
    To be frank I do feel like I'ld do anything to work there, but I mean that as I would work really really hard to polish my portfolio to get in. I am a fan but more of how there production is and their company ethics. That really blows me away. Still I don't mean to say that anywhere ever!
    MeshMagnet wrote: »
    I don't understand. Could you explain in detail what this means?

This referring to an adult movie franchise.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Stupid threads like "your favorite color/food"

Fluorescent pink/Banana Ding Dongs
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    NO

this type of attitude really annoys me to be frank.
    these jobs are not a privilege, its a service you provide for fair compensation.
    unless you were born with a silver spoon, you likely need to pay bills like everyone else.

i dont care what studio it is really.
    it is just another business that most likely only cares about its profit and will pay the lowest possible salary to hire someone. why dont you just offer to work for free then ?

with attitudes like this you are actually hurting the future of all other artists out there.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    If you'd really do anything you'd have a mindblowing portfolio and wouldn't have to beg for it.
    So what this phrase really tells me is "I want this job without working hard to become good enough".

Just always work on your art and eventually you'll never have to think about saying anything like this to get your dream job.
    Best of luck!
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    NO

this type of attitude really annoys me to be frank.
    these jobs are not a privilege, its a service you provide for fair compensation.
    unless you were born with a silver spoon, you likely need to pay bills like everyone else.

i dont care what studio it is really.
    it is just another business that most likely only cares about its profit and will pay the lowest possible salary to hire someone. why dont you just offer to work for free then ?

with attitudes like this you are actually hurting the future of all other artists out there.

I am really sorry. This really is not my attitude. This post was made light heartedly and was never meant as something I would ever do. I understand that these are jobs only those who are required will be hired. My full intention is to make my portfolio good enough that I would be required by the studios I apply to for good pay and not free.
    d1ver wrote: »
    So what this phrase really tells me is "I want this job without working hard to become good enough".

I guess these words don't convey what I really want to say. If I could rephrase it it would be "I want this job. I would work as hard and be as good as I need to and better to get this job.

I am not doing this for working in a specific studio or company. I want to make video games and video game art and make an earning out of it.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9

This referring to an adult movie franchise.

I don't get it? Is this common practice for getting a job in the games industry in America?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I don't get it? Is this common practice for getting a job in the games industry in America?

1366062666654.png
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

No not at all it is an inside joke based on pop culture. It is not not relevant to the industry at all. Please google "adult black couch" and click on the second link and you will understand.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    And this is why wages for starting gigs keep dropping. Because they know graduates will do anything....and accept anything....
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I guess these words don't convey what I really want to say. If I could rephrase it it would be "I want this job. I would work as hard and be as good as I need to and better to get this job.

Saying that you will do something has 0 value for your potential employers or anyone else in the industry for that matter. Just because there are thousands of people who would say exactly that, but only a handful will work their ass off for years to get some great employable skills.
    If what you say is true however you don't really need words. You art will speak for you.

Oh and don't worry if some folks seems to have taken negatively what you said. Everyone here was young and had no idea how to get jobs at the places that inspired us or how this industry worked in general. You don't have to and probably can't convince anyone with words of how serious you are here. Once again, just let your art do the talking.
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    let your art do the talking.

Got it.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    A company we love is still only a company. If we'd do anything to work there, it must mean that we think most happiness in life would follow. I doubt it. Dream jobs are alluring at first, but after a few weeks they'll just be jobs.

Unconditional desires are a good way to end up enslaved to poor conditions. I don't think that's a healthy attitude to have towards any employer in any industry.

All right I get it bad post! I wont say anything like this ever again! :D

lol, don't listen to blaizer, threads about job-related mindsets are helpful to a lot of people and arguably more relevant than threads about games, movies, or piracy.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Saying that you will do something has 0 value for your potential employers or anyone else in the industry for that matter.

Once again, just let your art do the talking.

^ this.

saying "i will work hard", go the extra mile, etc." is fine but they are just words. they prove nothing.

only way you can prove to an employer that you will work hard is by showing them some art that shows you seriously spend days and nights working on it.

i would recommend not showing them stuff like zbrush doodles and sketches that could be done in 10 minutes.

show them work that would take months to finish, work that shows dedication and persistence.

also, the negative side to saying such things is you make yourself seem exploitable. they might think that they would be able to make you work over time without pay and hire you for lowest possible salary.

btw, i understand that you were asking this light heatedly so my reply is also a general response for everyone and not you specifically targeted towards you.

this is actually a good thread, and thanks for asking other artists' opinion about it. discussions like these helps a little to get rid off the fan-boy mentality some people have towards jobs and helps fight the income inequality a tiny bit.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    NEVER!

I dont work in te 3d business, its just a hobby but at my work is desperate person.
    The chief know that he can "blackmailed" and exploit the situation.
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7

Hahaha, this made me laugh pretty hard! "Hey wait a second, this wasn't on the job description. So if I do this, I'll really get the position? Alrighty then..."
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *sigh*

You people should really learn to stop putting studios and other artists on pedestals.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Got it.

Dont take it literally lad. I am certain when he was saying "let your art do the talking," doesnt mean he would want you to make a comic stripe that explains you to the interviewer.
    So, anything you say? Would you be able to suck balls? (I know there is a ban coming after me for this statement but I wanted to give him an idea of "anything.")

The statement above was already taken care of. My bad heh heh. :D

If you really want to get in to that specific studio, you should start off with a first studio you get in and form your network and gain experience while keep on applying for a studio every six months.

That way, when the time comes, you will have enough questions to get their attention, or answers to knock their socks off.

For example; You are bound to hear these few questions in any interview:

1) Why should we hire you?

-"Because I can do anything for you," will really make a weird impression.

2) I got your CV from someone.

-Until last interview, I am pretty sure this one was also to throw you off in the interview.

3) Would you be able to sell this glass of water?

4) Would you be able to work using "such and such software that isnt even out yet." We need someone who have 5 years worth of experience working with this software.

5) How did you find us?

and the last ultimate question.

6) Do you have any questions for us?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    6) Do you have any questions for us?

You should probably ask them just as many questions as they ask you.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    stop putting studios and other artists on pedestals.

this

it's just a job. it is OK to try very hard to get what you think might be your dream job, but you shouldn't make desperate sacrifices to do so. otherwise, it probably isn't your dream job after all!

if you let yourself be exploitable you're telling the employer that it's OK to exploit people, and they eventually expect everyone to bend over backwards for them. i see a lot of artists and programmers take a ton of abuse from employers just because they "love games" and it's led to a really unfortunate situation for the industry as a whole right now. so yeah, don't be desperate.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    This is the reason why we get so many vulture studios here preying on the naive and desperate. They pick up the kids just out of college, work them on practically nothing until they're burned out and then replace them with the next batch of bright eyed students.

The black couch thing is kind of an apt analogy.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Confidence goes a long way in coming across as professional in an interview. "I will do anything to work for you!" is definitely NOT confident nor professional.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Deohboeh: I know you mean well but this statement does nothing to help you get work, in fact its likely going to have the opposite result.

Whenever I hear it my response is generally the same.
    "You'll do anything? ...bullshit, you didn't do the one thing we needed...show us your skills matched the role."

I've never heard anyone capable say anything along those lines, its only ever come from people I'd never hire...You get work because you earn it... there isn't a quick pass. Your art needs to speak for itself and you need to be honest with yourself about your expectations.

Btw, any company which hires you after hearing you say you'll do 'anything' will likely have you doing 'everything'... for 'nothing'.