Home General Discussion

With polygon counts rising are you going to update your portfolio with 100k meshes?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
Order 1886 has 100k characters, infamous second son has 120k, Ryse 80K. Are you going to update your portfolio with higher-res meshes? Do studios look at that sort of thing?

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Polygons are just numbers in a portfolio, and only if you decide to show them off.

What counts is what looks good and shows competence. If your characer is movie grade and rendered over 8 hours in arnold, whatever. The result counts.
    Show what you can pull off, and let the companies give you constraints later.
    If you effectively use those tris, yea nice. If your character looks like last gen, and you write 100k, then its a downgrade of course.

It depends on your overall presentation. If you have killer art everywhere, people assume you know your stuff
    and don't demand a lot of info. If you are borderline, people will care more about details to check your competence.

Dont forget people care mainly about the outcome, this is stronger,
    the better you are, as the rest is shifting to details assumed known.

"If he used 4 textures instead of 6, that would be impressive" - no one ever

Also those 100k are for close up cinematic shots in Lod0.
    Lods actually trivialize the whole portfolio polycount thing anways. Work reasonable but dont let anything constraint you too much.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Polycounts are not rising to the level that those character are for in game stuff. Those 120k and 80k characters are for the cinematic scenes/close ups. They are not actually the in game character running around in game. That is a lower rez version.

120k character would have more verts on screen than pixels on your TV at the distances they are seen.

Killzone Shadowfall for example had only slightly more verts drawn on screen than Killzone 3 did. Actually it might have been slightly less verts on screen due to no longer having the 8 SPU's of the PS3 Cell.

This generation is more about physically based shaders, procedural textures/substance textures, increased particle spawning, more havok/physics based objects than actual high polycounts.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's more important to worry about having good topology and edge loops for animators, than it is to have characters in the exact polycount range new games are using. Also I'd worry about making some characters that use PBR before worrying too much about polycount.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I am fairly certain the mesh for the character aren't that high poly. They may have tessellation running that brings them that high, but creating those meshes at that density would take a really long time. Any way it doesn't matter the amount of triangles as long as they follow good topology and are used properly.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Autocon wrote: »

Killzone Shadowfall for example had only slightly more verts drawn on screen than Killzone 3 did. Actually it might have been slightly less verts on screen due to no longer having the 8 SPU's of the PS3 Cell.
    Why would the PS4 push less geometry when it's more powerful than PS3?

The PS3's cell had to pick up the slack for its GPU which was weaker than even the Xbox 360. PS4's GPU is rated 10x better and has a peak of 1.6 billion triangles per second (Xbox 360 was 500 million triangles).

Killzone was also a launch game made for constantly changing dev kits. Like every generation, we don't see the final results of a console till the final years of it.
    Polycounts are not rising to the level that those character are for in game stuff. Those 120k and 80k characters are for the cinematic scenes/close ups. They are not actually the in game character running around in game. That is a lower rez version.
    The Order 1886 cinematics transition instantly with the gameplay. Those are the same models.

Ryse actually has no LODS. That's why he [Marius] dropped from 150k to 80k polygons and again, the cinematics transition instantly to the gameplay.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Bad rigging and animation kills the immersion more than anything for me, good exemple of this is metro 2033, at the time of release the atmosphere and environments were amazing for the tech of the time, but teh shitty animations for charcters always pulled me out of the game.

When it comes to polygons, and portfolios, the key isn't how many polygons i can make it with. The key is how many polygons does it take to hit the quality bar I'm try to achieve.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    stevston89 wrote: »
    I am fairly certain the mesh for the character aren't that high poly. They may have tessellation running that brings them that high, but creating those meshes at that density would take a really long time. Any way it doesn't matter the amount of triangles as long as they follow good topology and are used properly.

Tessellation is a performance killer. Very few games actually pull it off very well.

I think 100k is perfectly capable for real time. Remember the Dark Sorcerer demo was shown it had characters made of one million polygons. It was controllable and it was running on old dev kits of the PS4 so they could do even better.

ibhyITfxYvvzhR.jpg

But I do agree it's topology that's important.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    No. I'm going to use enough polygons to convey the visual fidelity that I want to achieve.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    yes, character artists should aim on having at least one piece that is super smooth with no polygonal edges..

I know a lot of Art Directors dont like seeing straight edges caused by low poly characters. 35-50k should be enought tho..

It might help if you are looking for a job!
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the reply guys!

Wouldn't it make more sense for recruiters to look for people who can work within their range of polycount? Like knowing how to use a game engine is better for a game artist... I actually started wondering this because I see many artists putting polycount on their portfolio pieces. Is that a pointless exercise? If I wanted to make my art look the best why not just render highpoly?

Topology will keep getting more refined per number of polygons increased.. Wouldn't it?
    What kind of standard do you set yourself polycount-wise for this gen then? Do you look at how high it goes or should you just see what looks best?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    deohboeh wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply guys!

Wouldn't it make more sense for recruiters to look for people who can work within their range of polycount? Like knowing how to use a game engine is better for a game artist... I actually started wondering this because I see many artists putting polycount on their portfolio pieces. Is that a pointless exercise? If I wanted to make my art look the best why not just render highpoly?

Topology will keep getting more refined per number of polygons increased.. Wouldn't it?
    What kind of standard do you set yourself polycount-wise for this gen then? Do you look at how high it goes or should you just see what looks best?

If you're trying to get your first job, you need to show that you understand topology.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator

I think it depends on 2 things:
    1. Budget
    2. Scope

If you're making an AAA game, obviously you'll want your game to look the best. If you're making a $20 indie game, avoid doing something that will take months.

Scope is next. Does the game take place in a corridor or is it open world? Open world games tend to sacrifice some detail so they can still run. A corridor game can afford to make everything look high poly.

stevston89 wrote: »
    I said nothing about the performance of said meshes. I don't care if they run there is no reason to spend all of that time generating a mesh of that density by hand. It is not worth it. I don't know for certain, but I am guessing there is some kind of subdivision process going on for the meshes to get to that tri count. Remeshing a 30k tri mesh takes a while as it is. Now try tripling that and tell me that is usable in a game production pipeline.

Sorry, it was a misunderstanding. I thought you meant tessellating in a video game. Turbosmooth/sub divison during modeling makes more sense.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    JordanN wrote: »
    Tessellation is a performance killer. Very few games actually pull it off very well.

I think 100k is perfectly capable for real time. Remember the Dark Sorcerer demo was shown it had characters made of one million polygons. It was controllable and it was running on old dev kits of the PS4 so they could do even better.

I said nothing about the performance of said meshes. I don't care if they run there is no reason to spend all of that time generating a mesh of that density by hand. It is not worth it. I don't know for certain, but I am guessing there is some kind of subdivision process going on for the meshes to get to that tri count. Remeshing a 30k tri mesh takes a while as it is. Now try tripling that and tell me that is usable in a game production pipeline.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    If you are going to make meshes that have tricounts that high, then usage of the higher budget along with good topology are probably some of the most important things to keep in mind. Having a super high technical budget isn't an excuse to be lazy.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah honestly I feel like if you're mesh has really clean topology then it shouldn't matter too much if you use 10k tris or 100k tris. I think games nowadays can have characters that get that high though most of the time that will be when the camera is close up. Games can take advantage of LODs well enough to balance things out well.

Though in my experience playing games I tend to just see those higher polycounts in dense areas on characters rather than the environments but that's another can of worms when it comes to making things run well with instancing and tilable textures and whatnot.

Proper edge loops shouldn't change all that much between something 10k tris and 100k tris normally. It's a little hard for me to explain, but eventually you get to a point where the edgeflow is all there and any more polygons will just go to essentially subdividing the mesh for smoothness rather than organized topology.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    A lot of character talk going on, that I'd rather leave to character guys, but when it comes to environments the polycounts are not that much higher. It all depends on the type of game you're making obviously. If you're a corridor shooter you'll be able to afford more then open world games, but still going balls out on all your environment assets will quickly slow your game into a crawl.

If you're considering a portfolio piece the #1 thing to do is settle on the camera distance for final presentation. If you want to show how awesome you can model all the macro details - then sure - go for it. But if you're making an asset that is a part of an environment that I'm only going to see as 20 square pixels on the screens, then spending 10k tris on it might be overkill and might raise some legitimate concerns about optimization in your work.
    As long as you make it looks awesome though I think you should be good. It's easier to trim some verts then to teach someone how to make it awesome :D
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Why would the PS4 push less geometry when it's more powerful than PS3?

The SPU's gave us a lot of power to push a lot of geo that we now cant do since we dont have the SPU's. This is because we knew how to really develop for the Cell being first party and not ever worrying about Xbox or PC versions.

The added power of the PS4 equals out to the power we were able to achieve due to the Cell. Cell is far more powerful than most people think, it was just extremely difficult to code for as it was a new language that most didnt know so most didnt know how to harness that power. The way we built our games/assets was far different than the Xbox that we could never make the same game on the Xbox because it didnt have the Cell.

Of course this is the start of the generation and things will get better as they always do. But the jump of polygons is nothing compared to the PS2/PS3 jump.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator

The added power of the PS4 equals out to the power we were able to achieve due to the Cell. Cell is far more powerful than most people think, it was just extremely difficult to code for as it was a new language that most didnt know so most didnt know how to harness that power. The way we built our games/assets was far different than the Xbox that we could never make the same game on the Xbox because it didnt have the Cell.

Of course this is the start of the generation and things will get better as they always do. But the jump of polygons is nothing compared to the PS2/PS3 jump.
    Woah, woah, what? I like the PS3 and think it had the best looking games of last gen but I don't think it was that powerful.

There's no way PS3 is equal to PS4. The new MLB The Show for both PS3/PS4 prove that. PS4 characters have more polygons in their faces than the PS3 counterpart.
    ijRzjNVhT4YXp.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Make models that show you know how to use triangle distribution to meet the goal of your project. That goal can vary wildly.

I would never suggest to arbitrarily target a high tri count always have a purpose.

The same goes for texture sizes. Slapping a 4k texture on a pistol can actually have the opposite effect that is intended, it shows ignorance.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    100k models don't mean a thing if the edgeloops are crappy....
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    You know, this thread got me thinking.

I was watching 2 games today. One of them had a higher polycount but no normal maps, and the other had a lower polycount but used normal maps and better lighting.

I actually liked the lower poly one better.

My advice is to just focus on making good normal maps. You can go crazy with the geometry and no one will care because it's going to get baked anyway.

These 2 meshes use the same amount of geometry but as you can see, the normal maps help give it a boost in wrinkles,cracks, bandages etc.
    iT51cOjN67ZQw.jpg

Maybe one day we'll get computers/consoles that can handle any zbrush or turbosmooth model with ease. Maybe one day....
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    JordanN, just because you're using 100k tri's doesn't mean you get rid of your normal maps...
    Proper edge loops shouldn't change all that much between something 10k tris and 100k tris normally. It's a little hard for me to explain, but eventually you get to a point where the edgeflow is all there and any more polygons will just go to essentially subdividing the mesh for smoothness rather than organized topology.

This...
    In some cases I do this with far lower limits in 3DCoat, I'll retopo something with the lowest amount I can get away with and then subdivide it with little clean-up afterwards.
    Geometry is also very cheap, and for character close-ups I think we need it. Yep, games can look great with far less then 20k tri's in a face, but no amount of fancy shaders will negate a horrid faceted edge.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Order 1886 has 100k characters, infamous second son has 120k, Ryse 80K. Are you going to update your portfolio with higher-res meshes? Do studios look at that sort of thing?

If your portfolio work is close to what the studio does, it will make it easy for them to see that you can do the job.

Whether you wanna work on games with 100k characters or 1k characters is up to you, though.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    You know, this thread got me thinking.

I was watching 2 games today. One of them had a higher polycount but no normal maps, and the other had a lower polycount but used normal maps and better lighting.

I actually liked the lower poly one better.

My advice is to just focus on making good normal maps. You can go crazy with the geometry and no one will care because it's going to get baked anyway.

These 2 meshes use the same amount of geometry but as you can see, the normal maps help give it a boost in wrinkles,cracks, bandages etc.
    iT51cOjN67ZQw.jpg

Maybe one day we'll get computers/consoles that can handle any zbrush or turbosmooth model with ease. Maybe one day....

Normalmaps have always been used to convay internal detail. Higher polycounts means we can have more detailed silhouettes, and *potentially* better looking animations due to having smoother bends etc. but normalmaps will always be important. you could have a 500k character and i'd still say to use a normalmap, because just like the image you showed, you will still need to convay subtle surface detail and internal things that just don't show up in the silhouette.