Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M4 Commando

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
Polycount!
how i have missed yall! it has been to long life has had me busy for sure, but i was finally able to crack into max and do some work :)

I decided to do a M4....but while researching "m4" I found out that the M4 really doesnt call out a specific gun, more like a platform and then everyone else makes thier own varient....History lesson! Colt made the Origonal M4....now some crazy stuff happened and they lost the patent ....now they make the cold ar15A4

so i dove into colts archives and i found the M4 Commando! ive only made the side seen working on the other side as well as magazine and trigger :) let me know what yall think :)

Source:
Z2j2349.jpg
UhXH1LN.jpg

Model:
0opl9A9.jpg
JIHpYFi.jpg
UPIdNmP.jpg
jcaVnG6.jpg
okYmZyQ.jpg
g5g2Jon.jpg

Replies

• Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    The butt-stock doubles as a stake for hunting vampires! haha!

I suggest you have a look at the handle and the stock. Both aren't at all like what you'd see on an M4. Are you working with one reference image? Have a look at the curvature of the stock here:

Stock_JG_M733_lg.jpg

And how the grip looks here:

RM-GRIP_M4.jpg

You're on a good start though! Keep it up.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahah good eye Stirls, you didn't know its a multi-purpose weapon lol

But no you are absolutely right Great eye! :)

The butt defiantly needs some work as well as the grip :)

and yes im using one set of reference images bc m4 is such a generic term, it doesn't speak to one specific gun.

A great example of this is the reference image you posted the ejection port on your gun doesn't have the forward assist on it
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hey nice start!
    Are you making the right side of the weapon?
    I gave it a try but it was hard for me, so i decided to do another weapon ^^
    The red marked parts had killed me:
    26gephhp.jpg
    Maybe you will do this well, im curious :)
    Here some reference pictures i´ve taken from my airsoft ^^
    yut3xz5q.jpg
    fbgw8zh4.jpg
    xg88saq6.jpg
    n3ft394r.jpg
    4ukvljp7.jpg
    nxenxy6i.jpg

Good Luck :)
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    Solid start man. Seems like you've got most of the major forms setup at this point. Looking forward to the detail pass
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow it has been forever since i posted on here, sorry for the delay, life has been crazy moving, pc dying and all that fun stuff but im back up n running and found some time to get some work done on the m4, put in place holder and started working on the ejection port side let me know what yall think :)
    @ gazu wow thank you so much for the reference images those are fantastic! yeah and that area is pretty hard its funny bc that is the area im currently working on let me know what you think.

cdn2tIY.png
    UXregJj.png
    MY3jK9P.png
    HFhCc10.png
    XJIWIyy.png
    JMCXkeC.png
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Here's some references that'll surely help you out. :)

http://oesterkilde.dk/private/references/assault.html
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    The receiver is REALLY skinny. Just eyeballing, but it looks like it could be twice as wide.

The dust cover over the ejection port sits at an angle, as the ejection port is not vertical.

Take a gander at this. Its a cad image of an upper (AR15, M16, M4, all more or less share the same upper parts)

ar15_drawing_a3upper2.jpg

The big fat threaded part at the front is where the barrel nut clamps down the barrel to hold it to the receiver. The delta ring is also sandwiched behind the barrel nut.