Home General Discussion

PBR Texturing tutorials?

Dashiva
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Dashiva triangle
I'm getting back into making assets and I was wondering if anyone knew of some any start to finish PBR texturing tutorials?

What I'm looking for is something that recreates the workflow I'm used to, which is something like Cgtextures for source -> bitmap2material -> whatever maps, but a Photoshop tutorial would work too. Basically what I'm looking for is how to build up a material from photo source. I've read all the usual documentation on PBR from Marmoset and Unreal, but there are no practical examples that I can find, and bitmap2material doesn't have a magic 'make pbr' button as it only puts out the legacy maps.

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Substance or Ddo.
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Substance or Ddo.

My problem is that most of the Substance tutorials are like "we're going to create something procedural" and don't begin with photo source. Basically I'd like to reliably convert the library of textures I already have.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    Dashiva wrote: »
    and bitmap2material doesn't have a magic 'make pbr' button
    Basically I'd like to reliably convert the library of textures I already have.

there is no "magic button" like Make PBR texture or Convert to PBR. If you looking for texturing from photo resource, just use the traditional tutorial. there are many good tutorial out there.

PBR is a different concept, not a totally new and strange stuff. you still can use photo resource and make texture very similar way that you used to do.

I'm afraid there's no particular tutorial about making PBR texture from start to finish at this time ( Marmoset and Allegorithmic has some really good basic tutorial about PBR )

but you said
    I've read all the usual documentation on PBR from Marmoset and Unreal

that's good start, now just put everything to practice
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Photosourcing stuff like you used to for previous gen becomes a bit trickier, but it's by no means impossible. Make sure you understand the principles very well first of all.
    This video is the best and most correct one out there; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP7HgIMv4Qo

Also Substance stuff doesn't have to be about procedural stuff, you can work based on photo's. That might be a bit hard to see at first, but you don't become a good artist by expecting tutorials to hold your hand all the way for every single thing.