Home Dota 2

Presentation Help

GhostDetector
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
Presentation in the workshop is everything these days(as well as popularity). I have my item, some screens but I just don't have the knack to put them into a presentable order to make it look nice.

Can somebody point me towards a direction where I present my things in a professional manner rather than just dumping a whole bunch of images?

WXkaCg2.jpg
xBMGJvo.jpg

Replies

• [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    Possibly narrow it down to like 4 different styles, 2 from the top row and 2 from the bottom row
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How should I present it?
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 separate images, instead of showcasing 4 designs on one picture.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with Mohsen, you have too many different styles.

About the showcasing, IMO it's not that hard, just be 'honest' with the shots, with no extra fluff or anything. I believe that just showing the item itself is the key. When I do sets for example, I tend to get 4 shots of the loadout window from different angles and animations and merge them into one picture, kinda like you did on the bottom one, but you have too many styles right now, so it looks a bit crowded. Same for the ingame preview thingy, a couple of shots from the night and day preview merged into one picture. After that just some pictures showing of the weapon actually on the ingame preview using the default camera angle and then some from the showcase mode. Finally I usually throw in a couple of gifs to show everything moving, maybe a model viewer screenie and that's it! You can probably cut this down to half for a single item, since there is no need for so many shots. You can take a look at some of my submissions linked at my signature if you want some reference.

Also, if you want cleaner shot with no HUD, there is this handy bind you can paste on your autoexec.cfg to toggle the HUD:
    bind "F12" "ssMode"

alias	"ssMode"	"fullui"
    alias	"fullui"	"sv_cheats 1; dota_sf_hud_actionpanel 1; dota_sf_hud_channelbar 1; dota_sf_hud_chat 1; dota_sf_hud_inventory 1; dota_sf_hud_top 1; dota_hud_healthbars 1; dota_no_minimap 0; cl_drawhud 1; dota_render_crop_height 150; dota_render_y_inset 31; alias ssMode noui"
    alias	"noui"		"sv_cheats 1; dota_sf_hud_actionpanel 0; dota_sf_hud_channelbar 0; dota_sf_hud_chat 0; dota_sf_hud_inventory 0; dota_sf_hud_top 0; dota_hud_healthbars 0; dota_no_minimap 1; cl_drawhud 0; dota_render_crop_height 0; dota_render_y_inset 0; alias ssMode fullui"

• Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    hey mate can u explain this autoexec thing a bit more detailed plz :) ?
    ive read about that earlier on cyborgmatts, but i never got it work.
    at the moment i do all those commands manuelly..
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Shock wrote: »
    hey mate can u explain this autoexec thing a bit more detailed plz :) ?
    ive read about that earlier on cyborgmatts, but i never got it work.
    at the moment i do all those commands manuelly..

You just gotta create a file named autoexec.cfg on C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\cfg and paste those lines there. The game should automatically load them when you open it and make the binds, then you just press F12 ingame (or whatever other key you want, just change it on the code) and that's it!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    So where do I add 'r_lod 0' t always use lod0 ? Also, anyway to remove the take-screenshot function from it and just toggle the ui etc. on/off?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Spudnik wrote: »
    So where do I add 'r_lod 0' t always use lod0 ? Also, anyway to remove the take-screenshot function from it and just toggle the ui etc. on/off?

You should add r_lod 0 on the autoexec too on a separate line. And what do you mean by take-screenshot function? The code only toggles the HUD. Maybe you have the Steam screenshot thingy also bound to F12, which is the default hotkey IIRC. You can just change the "F12" to any other key you'd like, or switch the key for Steam screenshots.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doy, that screenshot thing made me feel dumb.

If I undertand the script correctly we have 2 modes, 'fullui' and 'noui', if I want r_lod 0 to activate, I can just add it as a separate line to the code and if I want it to only be active I in 'noui' mode I add it to that part of the code?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Doy, that screenshot thing made me feel dumb.

If I undertand the script correctly we have 2 modes, 'fullui' and 'noui', if I want r_lod 0 to activate, I can just add it as a separate line to the code and if I want it to only be active I in 'noui' mode I add it to that part of the code?

The script is a toggle that switches between 'fullui' and 'noui'. If you want to make r_lod 0 one of the things that switches when you press the button you can add "; r_lod 0" at the end of 'noui' and "; r_lod 1" at 'fullui', but I believe that this command needs a game restart to work, so it's easier to add it on a separate line from the script and make it permanently lod0 (which is what I do). Alternatively you can edit the autoexec every time you don't lod0 only, but adding it to the bind toggle is probably easier.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i did create that autoexec.cfg dropped those lines inside by using editor.
    assigned the key. made sure that the key is unused. started game, pressed the key. nothing happens.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was scrapping some of the styles and settle on plain colors and the black stripes.

@shock- Try having cheats enabled for it to work. (if you created your own lobby) It should work in the test import

@belkun, is there a way to toggle night and day? Because I can only see the command for night
    "dota_force_night"
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i didnt test it in a private lobby. i did test it with the workshop importer tool - testgame.
    there are cheats allways activated

update: ghost made it work anyhow.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @belkun, is there a way to toggle night and day? Because I can only see the command for night
    "dota_force_night"

Yeah, that'd be useful as well
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't get it to work though

this is what I put.

bind "F11" "night"
    alias "night" "sv_cheats 1; dota_force_night 1;"

Is there a way for me to make sure that slark is in the same pose as well as i have the same camera angle so I can interchange inbetween each style? Just to make the screenshots more consistent?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I was making a border for my images, and I was wondering, is it really worth doing (for screenshots/portrait shots)?

This is what I have so far. OxuWDTa.png
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it allows it to stand out from the other items on the workshop, so yeah. And if you look at the workshop right now, almost all of the promo images have a border.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cool, thanks for the cfg info everyone - I didn't know how to make these into toggles. Useful stuff !

Here's another useful one at times (also requiring sv_cheats 1)
    bind "KP_MULTIPLY" "toggle dota_camera_distance 1134 800 500"