Home Technical Talk

Action Lines - Zbrush

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
cody.rauh polycounter lvl 6
Issue# 1

Hey Guys,

I just started using Zbrush, trying to convert over from Mudbox. Things are going really well all except for the action line ( move tool. )

I can't find a good tutorial which explains out each component of the action line. The ones I have seen for transforming the ztools in your scene are simply three circles with dotted lines( it doesn't show all these extra colour coded circles related to the axis, and when I try to follow the tutorial the function which occurs is different than shown in the tutorial.

ZQDibJT.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• cody.rauh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Issue #2

I can't figure out how to use the "move tool" people are using to move(shape) the face of the model around for shaping ( not transforming/moving tool ).
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    For Issue #1, hold down ctrl while moving your mouse over each circle. It'll tell you what it does. For #2, it's a brush. Try practicing with it on simple shapes to learn how it works. There are some variations on it (Move Elastic, Move Topological, etc.) and each works a bit differently, so it's worth exploring all of them.
  • cody.rauh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Icon, thank you mate that really helps I was so confused by move/move/move..
    They just said move didn't know it was a move brush. Much appreciated.

Now that I have that figured out it has an option to do ctrl+left mouse to duplicate but it just does extrude or whatever. It isn't duplicating.

Also say i make a second tool ( not subtool ) accidently on my screen, how can I go back to the previous tool I had drawn on the space without having to ctrl + n and reposition it again in the scene?
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    No worries! I believe the ctrl+left click duplication works when you're not in edit mode, but I never really use it so I'm not positive -- it might also be creating a second tool on the canvas either way. If you're looking to duplicate your mesh while you're editing, I would suggest the "duplicate subtool" button (under "SubTool" in the Tool menu) as the easiest way. If you just want a backup of the tool in that state, use the "Clone" button in the main tool menu (or "Clone All SubTools" if that's what you're after, clone by itself just grabs the active one).

As far as I'm aware, ctrl+n and redrawing is the only way. However, in general you shouldn't have to worry about how it's positioned if you're still editing, so it's more of a minor inconvenience.