Home General Discussion

Seeking career advice.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
Hey! I am currently working on my portfolio and wanted some advice. I am a 3d generalist from India. There are very few studios that work on 3d games most of them outsource and other have very low quality of art. I think/feel/hope my quality of art is good. I bend heavily on the tech side of things and see myself becoming a technical artist sooner or later.

Link
Its a part of my portfolio/showreel still being completed for reference.

I can't decide if I should freelance or apply at an outsourcing firm. What steps should I take to get to work with current-gen studios? Should I also apply at video animation firms also? Should I visit them?(I don't know how this would help but it did come to mind..)
Is freelancing easier/better than working at an outsourcing firm? I mean will it be easier to get jobs? Should I stick to the safe route of getting job here? How can I get people to want to work with me?

Your experiences and anecdotes are welcome so are your criticism and opinions.

Replies

• IgnitionChemistry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IgnitionChemistry polycounter lvl 5
    I see no harm on applying for studios and outsourcing firms that may not be exactly what you want, but somewhere around it, as long as you find out later that you like working there, everything should be fine.
    I'm not sure what your geographic situation is, but if it was me, in Portugal, where we have a low chance of getting employed, no matter the field of work, it'd give it a shot, I've personally always liked CG and I've wanted to work on that for a while but I have worked as graphic artist in a outsourcing firm before, doing websites, advertising, logos, etc - It's not the thing I love to do the most, but it's not something I dread either, it's okay and it puts money on the table, meanwhile you build a portfolio while you earn money.

You can always apply for an outsourcing firm now and keep an eye out for interesting companies that fulfill your professional needs and likes, it beats standing around home doing nothing (I assume?)
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the reply Miguel! I think you are correct. I should apply to anywhere that will keep me busy and keep looking for better offers. I don’t really have much of a problem with outsourcing as such because it is work and as long as it pays and gives experience it’s good.

My concern is mostly with freelancing.. Is it possible to get good work easily as a freelancer? Should I as a fresher even be thinking of freelancing? Is it possible to to start a career as a freelancer? Should I gain experience before I try it? How much would it pay? seeing that freelancing is volatile in pay is it that volatile in the game art market?