Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Check

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
My skills have kind of atrophied, since I haven't done any personal projects (before a month or so ago), for a long time. So I thought I'd try again, and the first thing I wanted to do was an anatomy sculpt.

My friends say that my sculpts don't look "fleshy" enough. Not unrealistic, but not as if the muscle is under skin. I have no idea how to achieve this look, so here I am at polycount. I'll take any suggestions, and comments.

Oh, and if you give me a good suggestion, and I'm not doing it right, please know that I'm not ignoring you, I just might not know how to achieve what your suggestion is. I am trying very hard to learn, so crit away. Thanks for looking.

311pgro.jpg

Replies

• stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    The biggest problem is you are over defining the muscles. Few people have muscles that sharp when they aren't flexing. Most of the time you will have a fair bit of fat and skin sitting on top of the muscles smoothing out the definition. I would just go back in and smooth out the majority of the muscles and make the transitions more smooth. Here is some ref :

fit+to+fat+before+may+7th+2011.jpg
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the reply. I've gone back, and softened certain areas up, and added a few minor details.

2vb0ymr.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    got some pretty cool shapes going on there. Lots of stuff could be tweaked at this point.
    Biggest things I see...
    Hips
    wrists
    and insertion point with pec a delt (chest and shoulder) under the arm. (it should be much higher and wrap under the arms.

Also check the proportions and location of some stuff. Calves are really big and rotated in, the quads are a bit small at the top and also rotated in. The meaty part of the forarm is massive. His shoulders look slumped to me, but in reality some people are like that, just not an ideal look imo. Head looks a tad small and wrists long (move the hands up and fix the wrists).

Lastly, the tip above was correct about showing some fat by smoothing things out. Also note, the majority of that smoothness actually comes from water retention under the skin (not fat) on very lean individuals. And more importantly, remember that unless you are full subdived up you won't be able to get things to look right in terms of smoothness and sharpness around the model. I only mention because it looks like you won't acheive the realistic look your after at this stage anyway with your current sub-d (that's what it looks like anyway, don't know how many polys you actually have). So really focus on the forms more than those smaller details for now.

One of my favorite bodybuilder sculpts here: mesh.jpg

(not mine but was textured and featured on zb central)
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent!! thanks, Brad. I'll go back, and try and make those changes.

I've been struggling with that forearm, and now I see you're totally right about it being too long. Also, great call on the legs. Again, an area I've struggled with for a long time.

Will post when changes are made.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Sterno Mastoids arn't inserting correctly either. The other things that really bother me are the forearms and the lump on his wrist..not sure what that is. I also believe you either need to pull the knee up a bit or lengthen the shin/calf area.
    Nice practice though! Keep at it.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    A few points I should bring to light:

Starting with the Clavicle
    There should be a space between the two clavicles that leave room for the sternum:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Clavicle_-_anterior_view.png

This directly affects "Sternocleidomastoid".
    Sterno (for Sternum) Cleido (Clavicle) Mastoid (Neck Muscle)

That muscle attaches to both the Clavicle and the Sternum:
    sternocleimastoid-sternal-and-clavicular

The end of the Clavicle is the Acromion Process (That rectangular bit at the top of the deltoid):
    Deltoideus_posterior.PNG

For someone with that muscular development; the acromion is a divot. Only on anorexics and fashion models would you see it bulge like that.

Also.. on the back..

The Acromion will trace a line (Spine of the Scapula) and then the scapula.

A majority of the back muscles (aside from the latissimus Dorsi) pretty much drape from the scapula.

Your Teres Major, TEres Minor, and Infraspinitus seem to be lumped as one shape with a striation (They should have different 'levels' to them, like layers).

The Teres Major is pretty much the 'primary' muscle of the back... It's also partly covered by the Latissimus Dorsi, but the shape is still prominent:

teres_major21338173000046.png

Most of your anatomical flaws actually trace back to your understanding of the skeleton.

Even smaller details that some of the best artists in our industry get wrong (like number of visible serratus anterior interdigitations before it gets covered by the lower part of the lat).
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, still working on him. Tried to take all points into consideration while working on him. Like I said, if I missed something you suggested, it's not that I'm ignoring you or anything like that, it's just a lot to take in, and I'm learning. Thanks so much for your help, everyone.

Here's an update for now.

2hfj4lt.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Nice progress Jeremy.

I really should get off my ass and do one of these myself.

>_<

Anyways, the easiest way to think of the Elbow, is to start with the actual Bones:

Olecranon, and the medial/lateral epicondyles.

Medial-elbow-anatomy.jpg

Its basically your elbow bone, and the two lumps to on either sides of it.

The tricky part about this joint:

When its neutral, the 3 of them line up, and the epicondyles are recessed.

When the arm is flexed, the epicondyles protrude a bit, and are shaped like mickey mouse.

It's important to know those locations, because a majority of the forearm muscles START from those epicondyles.

elbow-anatomy.jpg

The Elbow (Olecranon) becomes the ulna.. a bone that is visible on the surface of the arm...

And that ends at that lump on the wrist (pinky side), called the Styloid Process.

379883d1296187398-fs-swiss-army-airboss-mach-6-chrono-red-dial-watch-012.jpg
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't able to get anything done over the weekend, but here's an update for the elbow, and wrist. I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I got it as close as my current understanding.

3129qoy.jpg
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While my anatomy knowledge is far from good, I find that sculpting an "attractive" character is holding you back. Try sculpting fat, old grumpy guys, skinny dudes, etc.
    My advise on your current sculpt?
    The cavity of your muscles is ok but try using SmoothValleys in areas you think that there is fat (abs, the manboobs, etc... so you don't lose muscle volume, but lose definition), and use SmoothPeaks where there is less fat (below the knees, forearms, etc.)
    If you don't make big changes to your sculpt you will never get anywhere.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man looking brilliant, love it!! he looks pretty fleshy to me honestly

Crits
    - All the extensor muscles originate in approximately the same area on the elbow. So take those sharp creases right upto the elbow
    - The wrists still look too wide without hitting on the bump you get because of the ulna
    - Waist i believe still could use some fleshing out. So that the obliques stick out more. Nevermind, i believe you need to work on the muscles of the thigh to get the waist looking better. These muscles are huge and all of them originate from the pelvis, deep to the inguinal ligament *adonis belt* so you should see a curvier outline of the muscle. Its too flat right now i believe
    - You should raise his knees up abit and lengthen his legs
    - Also, it feels like you are losing mass when going from the side view to the front view. And that just makes the 3/4ts view slightly strange. The shoulders for example look huge in the side view but the mass doesnt carry to the front view as much
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A real quick note, I haven't forgotten about this, or anything. I've just got too much work right now, to allow me to do anything more here. I'll return to this when I have time.

Butt_sahib, thanks for the comments, I've made note of them, and will address them when I get time.