Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Props

interpolator
Online / Send Message
jStins interpolator
I've been working on a couple hand painted props over a few evenings. They are based on some prop concepts created by Kyuseok Choi.

I am close to calling them done, but may add a derpy looking critter to the cage and add some story to the scene. I'd appreciate any critiques on the assets or presentation. :poly130:

Images are rendered in Maya Viewport 2.0.

I8TPtLe.png

iUyI9c2.png

Ku4eccp.png

hVydqzh.png

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Afklamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Afklamer polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, cool stuff!

Some suggestions I'd have:

The textures are a bit to light, since these are environment props I'd suggest not to get over 50-55% brightness. I personally use everything that high or beyond just for highlights.

The model could be more efficient ( it's the German in me speaking =P) I see many polys and cuts that are unnecessary with to little impact on the actual silhouette.

I'd also try be more efficient on the UV textures there are to many to similar textures. I'd reuse them instead of setting up new ones. I think you could easily use just half of the map space you have right now!

hope that helps a bit, cheers
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    The metal looks a little too dark for me, and I would tone down the difference in the wooden planks from one to another as they create a stripy/artificial look.
    Other than that you got a solid piece:)
  • silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really cool and stylised. The wood has too much of a value gradient on it, gives a weird look to the barrels that are lying on the ground and the slats on the top. Agreed on the previous points, especially the stripey wood.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Have a problem getting the overall. Why cage with water jar ? And why are the water jar that big O_o pretty sure it supposed to be smaller, like twice smaller so women can carry it. I don't know what was keep in those cage but either animal or human, the bottom would be dirty.
  • jStins
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

@Afklamer: Good points on the value of the props. I think I got a little carried away with contrast working on the props by themselves. I tried a quick pass to knock it down a bit. Better? I think it may need to go darker still.

As for the geometry, I think it could be optimized quite a bit. Can you go into more detail on the UV efficiency? I stacked the bucket sides. Should I have gone further, stacking 4 planks instead of 8? Maybe I should have stacked things like the handle since it's also wood. I always struggle finding a balance in stacking vs. being able to get unique variation in the texture.

@Firith: I tried upping the contrast in the metal without making it too bright overall. I see what you mean about the stripy wood (circus bucket!) and dialed that down a bit.

@silvershrimp: Thanks and I pulled the gradient down a bit.

@Odow: Yeah man, the story of the scene isn't really clear. This just started as wanting to make a crate and barrel that wasn't exactly a crate and barrel. The cage is supposed to be smallish (think small farm animals, like pigs and chickens). The water bucket is meant to be about this size:

sap3.jpg

I'll try to communicate the scale better.

V6gzjTd.png

Additional critique welcome! :thumbup:

Edit: Anyone know of a good derpy chicken concept?
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    then you should scale the keyhole and screw. They would be the tiniest stuff ever if the jar are that big, and big screw would look better with your texture style. Dirty up the cage, had some scratch and some hay
  • Kiser Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiser Designs polycounter lvl 12
    I really like your textures. Nice work
  • jStins
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Ah, good idea on the scale of the screws and keyhole. I'll add some wear/debris with some decals I think. Thanks!

Thanks Kiser!
  • jStins
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Here's a small update on the scene with some texture treatments based on feedback. I also tried to push the scale on the cage. I'm going to start adding a few details, like a critter for the cage and some dirt/debris alphas.

bGkLvv6.png

Critiques welcome!
  • jStins
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Added a few things to the scene to give it a bit more life. I think I'm calling it done, but any critiques/comments are welcome :)

n3YvWmy.png
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    wow...looks great. I want more!
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    this is great ;) - will you add an normal map to the stones ?
    or is it diffuse only ?
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Alphavader wrote: »
    this is great ;) - will you add an normal map to the stones ?
    or is it diffuse only ?

what's with people wanting normal maps on everything handpainted lately?

anyway it's looking so much better than before, the contrast in the wood colors is really in a good spot now!

i think you could probably push some more darker colors in occluded parts (keyhole, around the bolts, between the stones) and probably sharpen the highligts on the metal a bit
  • CosmosXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins wrote: »
    n3YvWmy.png

Love the derpy chickens! :D Well done.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    nothing constructive to say :)

everything is super awesome, well done!
  • dblackwell_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work man!, would love to see more
  • jStins
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.

@CarlK3D: Thanks! I will probably do more hand painted stuff and will update this thread when I do. For now, I'm anxious to try some PBR stuff with Quixel and Marmoset.

@Alphavader: Thanks man. Keeping this scene diffuse only.

@Fnitrox: Good points on the value in the textures. If anything, I may go back and continue the stone texture. It's admittedly less finished than the other textures in the scene.

@CosmosXXX, wizo & dblackwell_22: Glad you guys like it. :)
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    the chickens... they are awesome haha.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Ahh! Just saw this in WAYWO. This is pretty sweet. I am loving the direction you're going in with hand painted textures.

My only critique is that the feathers on the ground don't feel very grounded. They are missing ao or shadow under them. Other than that I really love it.

And uh, what's your beef against chickens Joel? Is the one that is upside down dead? D:
  • jStins
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    @Odow: Thanks!

@KristaW: Nothing against chickens, but surely they cannot be allowed to run amok what with all the pooping and pecking. ;) The one in the bucket is not dead, just thirsty. :P It's feet would be frantically waggling if this was animated.

The feathers on the ground are a problem, yes (I think the scale is also off), but I ran into an issue with AO shading the shape of the plane in VP 2.0 so I had to move them so the AO didn't show (was ugly). Would be happy to hear a workaround for this issue if anyone has any ideas.