Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student portfolio crits

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Amaury polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys, as said in the title i'm a french student in 2nd year of animation school (and we only started doing 3D in september... but whatever, parents don't believe in self-taught study anyway)

I had no idea what 3D was about until the beginning of the year, and it struck me with passion, now even though I know that getting in that industry is hard, I want to be a character artist. I know this place is full of talented people, so it would be nice if you could point out what sucks in my website.

I'm gonna look for an intership next summer so basically I have 1 year to build a decent portfolio and fix all of the mistakes I did in it

Thanks !

EDIT : So here I am 1 year later, I threw out everything and replaced them by some stuff I did this year, also included more info, CV, got rid of the .carbonmade.com, improved the look and simplicity of the website. No internship, I'm starting to feel depressed

http://www.amaurydarras.com/

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Honesty, the only thing you should have in ur folio right now is the first girl in your sculpts section and the blacksmith but ONLY after you pose and render the blacksmith with some nice lighting and presentation. The rest of the stuff is either not up to par or needs to be finished. The ogre sculpt isn't bad but it's not great either so you should texture it and render it nicely to keep it in.
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the feedback slosh. I was thinking about filling the website so it's not just 1 or 2 works but unfortunatly this is only what i've got at the moment.

I hope that the school project next year will make us able to showcase our skill in game art because we'll have to make a game and I'm afraid of falling into a team that develops a game more based on fun and programming than graphics (which is the foundation of our job as 3D artists). If this is the case, I won't have much time to do my own work.
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks pretty sweet! love the gangster piece.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    You have some really nice stuff in there that looks like yoou are going to develop into a very good artist.

Keep going.
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Great style. The gangster guy is super cool.

Some feedback:
    On the Gangster, Do the feet hands and feet really need unique texture space?
    The gloss map don't look good in the slice you show of it. The general levels of it are good, but you could use it to emphasize crevices, elbows and seams more. You should probably use an actual leather pattern for it as well.

The switchblade is really nicely lit.

The rim-light on the Legend Of The Divinity looks terrible.
    Overall, the material definition on that guy is bad.

Non of your pictures are high-res enough. Perhaps put up a sketchfab for the gangster?

But the style is great. You show talent.
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    the Legend Of Divinity section is my team student project, since it's made in Unity I took the screenshots from it. Do you think I should render those characters in Toolbag instead ?
    I wrote the shader but I'm not that much of a technical artist and I agree with you, I am myself not very proud of those renders.

Also, do you think that a small piece of ground (like pavement with a manhole for the gangster, and hellish stone for the demon) can make a difference rather than just nothing or a plain pedestal ?

Thanks for your feedback guys, I'm definitely going to polish the gangster.
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Amaury wrote: »
    the Legend Of Divinity section is my team student project, since it's made in Unity I took the screenshots from it. Do you think I should render those characters in Toolbag instead ?

I'm a big fan of Unity, and you can make things look great in Unity, but it takes a lot of work. Less so now with PBR and deferred in the free version as well though.

If you want to work for a smaller company, showing that you can make things look good in Unity is probably good. But if you don't wanna put in that work, just put it in the magic toolbag and make it look nice straight away.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Love your models! I'm no character artist but here are some things I noticed..

There's some stretching on the gangster's right shoulder is that from some UV issues or does the sculpt look like that? I found it a bit more noticeable since his shoulders are absolutely massive. His hair also looks like it's made out of really big strands, particularly where the hair meets the temple. I know this can be a stylistic choice, but it kinda bothers me.

The turn table video should show the front of the character a lot more. Personally I would probably start the video where yours is at about 60% (or about 8 seconds in) and continue from there. Also, instead of showing the back at all I would probably change the view to a waist-up shot to show things off from closer. I can't really tell how good the quality is up close though, but I'm sure it looks fine.

Otherwise the pose and exaggerated anatomy look great! Lighting is ok, nothing too crazy :P
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    For a student with no experience, is it a good idea to show a bit of props and tileable textures or should I focus only on characters ?
  • KukaArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KukaArts polycounter lvl 2
    I Love the Gangster piece, Really nice and Balanced shapes and the way it was presented was awesome! I am no professional so I don't have any critiques of my own.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Do not name a category " Low Poly Stuff"
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    I just replaced it by "props".