Home Technical Talk

3DS Max - Display vertex paint textures in viewport

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Justo polycounter
Newbie question for a newbie newb. I've searched around for a good while now and I currently don't know what else to click.

From Autodesk docs:
1-Right-click the object with painted vertices, and choose Properties from the quad menu.
2-In the Display Properties group, turn on the toggle for Vertex Color.
Vertex Color is one item on a drop-down list. The other items are Vertex Illumination, Vertex Alpha, Map Channel Color (which uses the spinner immediately below the list), and Soft Selection Color. Viewports can display only one of these vertex channels at a time.
3-Click OK.

While that does show the painted colors, it does not display the textures that I actually want. There's plenty of info about how to display them on renders though. I also read something about needing Channels for this, though I've failed to find how.

Wot I think is(was) the correct way:

-Create your mesh, say, a plane; and then let's face map it for some tileable textures.
-Apply VertexPaint modifier, default settings are ok. Paint your vertices with grayscale values.
-"In the Display Properties group, turn on the toggle for Vertex Color.
Vertex Color is one item on a drop-down list."
-Lastly, in the material editor choose your material, say, a standard material, and under diffuse map go for Mix. Choose your two textures under Color1&2. Under MixAmount, choose VertexColor, default settings should be ok.

Aaaand still nothing. Any ideas?

Replies