Home General Discussion

NVIDIA DirectStylus technology (Tegra NOTE 7)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Stinger88 polycounter
Just seen this on NVIDIAs channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/nvidia)

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfC9yVnEKhg[/ame]
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ1XjSYKJmg[/ame]

Using the Tegra NOTE 7, which looks to be about £140. Which seems like a great price to me. And i'm definately thinking about getting one having seen the above video. I've been looking for a small tablet with pressure sensitvity, etc for doodling on.

Anyone used one, know if there's something better for the same price, any other advice, etc?

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    is it really touch sensitive? the pen looks a bit big like those rubbery ones you get for ipad?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish those videos were more about the tech ... they're more artist bios than anything else.
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    I thought about buying this thing a few weeks ago and as far as I can tell from my research,
    the stylus isn't touch sensitive. You control the thickness via the tip, that's why it's shaped like a brush.

It seems to be a nice product for that price (tegra4 processor, good sound, barely modified android OS). Other tablets with a bigger form factor and stylus input start around 450€
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ^^ Yes, i believe it works depending on how much tip is touching the screen. I'm not sure about the tech, but to back that up here's a guy using a paintbrush to draw, which looks very cool and quite accurate as far as I can tell.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFS1y8A7ikU[/ame]
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah I was wondering how this would compare with an old galaxy note 10.1 as those are £199 now. That said I dont think I would like any of them unless thier stylus worked the same was as a wacom and was properly touch sensitive.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    The Note 10.1 is Wacom tech, so it's a safe bet to expect it to work like a wacom. ;) I do love mine, though I believe it's "only" 1024 levels of sensitivity instead of 2048.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Until pixologic or another release a simplified sculpting program with pressure for Android, there isnt much use for these other than sketching.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    iconoplast wrote: »
    The Note 10.1 is Wacom tech, so it's a safe bet to expect it to work like a wacom. ;) I do love mine, though I believe it's "only" 1024 levels of sensitivity instead of 2048.

Working on 8 bit images, values only go from 0-255, not sure why you'd need much more than that for a tablet application.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Until pixologic or another release a simplified sculpting program with pressure for Android, there isnt much use for these other than sketching.

For some of us sketching is worth a lot. I'd love to have a little digital sketchbook to cart around with me
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    ZacD wrote: »
    Working on 8 bit images, values only go from 0-255, not sure why you'd need much more than that for a tablet application.
    Brush size, or just curve-mapping for comfort (heavy handed people for instance). Just a thought.