Home Technical Talk

Thoughts on this monitor?

StephenVyas
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
The reviews look good on this BenQ, but I personally have never used that brand before or know about their reliability.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/benq-gl2450hm-24in-widescreen-led-d4-76361-1078.htm

What are your thoughts on this monitor? Would you go for something else within the same price range?

Replies

• RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    I actually saw this monitor referenced in a review for a different (also AWESOME looking )monitor today. first time I had heard of it but the reviewer gave it a pretty stellar shout out. Looks pretty legit to me.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This monitor uses a TN panel, which means poor viewing angles, and poor color reproduction. I would skip it if the main purpose is art. - Edit: sorry, wrong.

On the lower end, you can pick up an Asus 23" e-IPS VS239H-P, Dell 23" e-IPS U2312HM, Asus 24" e-IPS VS24AH-P, little more for a Dell 24" U1212M at 1920x1200 (vs 1920x1080).

Up into the $400-500 range you get proper H/S-IPS 8-bit panels with even more accurate color, good if you do any color accurate work/photography/printing/etc.

Basically the panel is what is important with monitors, and it goes like this:
    H/S/U-IPS - very good viewing angles, exceptional color
    M/PVA - very good viewing angles, great color
    e-IPS - very good viewing angles, good color
    20 year old crt
    lite bright
    TN - crap viewing angles, crap color, but good refresh rates for hardcore gamers

Edit: Actually this is an AMVA panel not a TN, which is decent, probably comparable to e-IPS or slightly better. I'll leave the above just for reference, this screen seems to be comparable to the other suggestions I noted above.

Check this: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2450hm.htm
    That site rules, compare reviews there with some of the other ones that I mentioned, this BenQ doesn't look half bad, especially at that price point. Dells tend to have pretty decent stands, which can be really lacking in other lower end models, just something else to think about.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    I personally can't stand 1080P monitors and go for a 1920x1200 minimum. Why? Because you can't have a 1024x1024 texture at 1:1 zoom and fit it all on the screen at 1080P :)
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eggcellent, thanks so much guys :icon60:
    And thanks for taking the time to write all that up as well, Earthquake!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Highly recommend the IPS panels from Korea, you find them plenty on Ebay

Yamakasi Catleap and similar. They cost 100-200 less than the usual IPS but they use the same tech. Its a secret tip for some time now.
    Got mine for I think 350 euro, 27" S-IPS on 2560x1440
    1:1000 375 cd/m2
    Using the exact same panel as the 1000 euro 27" Apple Cinema Display for about 1/3 the price (as those guys manufacture them).

The design is not as great and the built in audio is terrible and there are nearly no options but theyre perfectly calibrated and Im really happy with mine. (1.5 years so far, no issue yet, its great and ill get a second one) and you just see that they are trying really hard delivering the best possible product.

Import fee from korea is about 50 again, keep that in mind
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the Korean 27"s are said to be very good. Only issue is you have to buy from Korea, and return back to Korea if you have any problems. Also the stands and OSD are really, really basic.

But hard to complain at the price point.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I bought a 1080p monitor, and i wish I hadn't. I thought I would get used to it, but the loss of that little bit of extra vertical resolution in 3ds Max means a lot more scrolling.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh glad you posted your experience with one, Monster. I hadn't thought of the difference between the widescreen monitor and my current one, in that way.

just cancelled that order now.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah generally I agree, you miss that space with 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080, if you're moving up from a smaller/lower res monitor its not a big deal, but that sliver of vertical space is very helpful in modeling apps etc.

I think the Asus VS24AH-P is about the cheapest 1920x1200 monitor with a decent panel on the market. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236331
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey yeah, that's pretty good for a decent display! -Definitely reasonably priced for an ips

Though I'm starting to lean towards a TN panel now, after seeing some comparison videos between the two.
    Having clear motion without any ghosting artifacts, for work, takes precedence over Color & Viewing angles [i'll probably mount it on a wall swing-arm beside my current monitor, in that case]

Any suggestions for a TN panel @ 1920x1200 ? (edit: within the same price range)
    Seems as though everywhere I look , the 1080p's are taking over over the market

Edit2:
    Ahh.. looks like I have only 2options here
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%204018%20600079406%20600012663&IsNodeId=1&name=1920%20x%201200
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I can't remember the last time I saw an LCD monitor that had ghosting issues... maybe like... 10 years ago?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Most IPS monitors are good enough for games, there's very minimal ghosting and input lag.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah these days IPS monitors are quite good, maybe not like "professional-gamer" good but totally fine for normal humans.